Royal Caribbean's plans to build a new private destination on the east coast of Mexico won't happen after Mexican authorities denied plans for it.

Mexican Environment Minister Alicia Barcena confirmed plans for Perfect Day Mexico won't be approved, following a massive backlash from environmental groups concerning the impact the project would have on the area.
"It is not going to be approved," Barcena said at a press conference on Tuesday. She added Royal Caribbean was moving on withdrawing plans for the project.
Royal Caribbean issued a statement on Wednesday to respect the Mexican government's decision, but says it will continue working on a solution that respects the environment and local community.
"We are disappointed by SEMARNAT’s decision and respect the role of Mexico’s environmental authorities. Mahahual is a special place that deserves care and protection. We continue to believe in Mexico, and are optimistic in the potential to advance our investment responsibly."
"Over the coming weeks, we will re-engage stakeholders to move forward in a way that delivers shared prosperity through the development of essential environmental infrastructure, the creation of thousands of local jobs, and community programs that support the people of Mexico."
The prepared statement by the cruise line appears to indicate they still have an intention to move forward with the project in one form of another. It's simply too early to know exactly what that will look like, but a new proposal will need to be sent to the Mexican government for approval.
What happened to Perfect Day Mexico

In May 2025, Royal Caribbean revealed it had purchased the port of Costa Maya, near the small village of Mahaual, Mexico.
The project would be a new exclusive offering to Royal Caribbean cruise line guests that had beaches, pools, a lazy river, and adults-only area, and water park.
There would have been more than 30 waterslides across five towers, including Jaguar's Peak, a 170-foot-tall slide tower with multiple record breakers like the tallest slides in the Americas and the longest coaster-style waterslide.

Their intention was to redevelop the port and transform it into a new private destination for cruise ship guests. Their plan was to also significantly overhaul and improve the local infrastructure to support such plans.
Moreover, they planned to follow regulatory requirements and minimize environmental impact as the project moved forward.
In an interview in 2025, Jay Schneider, Royal Caribbean's Senior Vice President and Chief Product Innovation Officer, said, "We are not going to touch anything at all in the mangrove conservation area," adding that the mangroves are already dying due to pollution from the municipal water treatment plant.

A petition was launched in 2025 online to stop the project.
The petition claims the private destination would have been built on protected mangroves.
At the announcement for the project, Royal Caribbean was adamant they were going to protect the mangroves, "There are mangroves and we're committed to protecting the mangroves that are there."

In fact, Royal Caribbean emphasized the cruise line's plan to restore the mangroves' health by building a new water treatment plant for the Mexican community.
Currently, an incomplete water treatment plant that was built years ago leaks raw sewage into Mahahual’s coastal mangrove forest and the nearby reef.
The company has also recognized the presence of endangered species like the ocelot, margay and white turtle. According to the Environmental Impact Statement it submitted, mitigation measures will be undertaken to “reduce stress and ensure the physical integrity of the individuals.”

Nonetheless, last week environmental group Greenpeace got wind of the project and became suddenly interested in stopping it.
They warned that the region was at a "crucial juncture," noting that the project and its link to expanded cruise tourism could cause significant environmental consequences.
Spam bots subsequently took to social media to flood repeated comments on Royal Caribbean and this site's social media channels.

On Monday, Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum was asked about the project and directed that question to Ms. Barcena to oversee it.
"SEMARNAT is conducting a very detailed analysis, but I can already tell you that we are not going to do anything that puts the ecological balance of that area at risk."
"But I want to tell everyone who is concerned about this situation that the government is not going to do anything that would put the ecosystem in that area at risk."

The next day, Mexico's Environment Minister announced Perfect Day "is not going to be approved." Her comment was shared in a video on social media.
According to local media, Barcena said the decision was based on the area's ecological importance and the need to protect marine and coastal ecosystems associated with the reef.
Greenpeace warns it will "remain vigilant"

Greenpeace celebrated the Mexican government's decision, vowing to track if this idea moves elsewhere within Mexico.
In a statement, the Mexican wing of the organization posted, "Greenpeace Mexico will remain vigilant regarding the possibility of moving the project to another location."






