St.Thomas to St.John -Short Port Day

KristiB

Hi everyone!
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or has any tips for this. My family is going on Icon in April 2024. Our itinerary says we will be in St.Thomas from 7:00 AM-3:00 PM. We would love to go over to St.John for the day to visit Trunk Bay. I’ve heard Royal does the “St.John on your Own” excursion. However, since we’re only in port until 3 PM, I’m worried that they won't be offering this. Has anyone else with a shorter port day seen this offered? Also, has anyone tried visiting St.John with a shorter port day without going through Royal? 

Thanks in advance! 

We will be in St Thomas on Harmony in 2 weeks with the exact same port times.  There are plenty of St John options offered through the cruise planner for us, so hopefully more will open up for you.  We are doing the 1/2 day champagne and snorkel tour to St John through RC.

With the port time so short, we didn’t want to venture out on our own for this because it involves taking a tour bus to another dock, then a catamaran to St. John.  Just worried about the short duration of the day and risking something going wrong and missing the ship.  With the RC tour, they’ll hold the ship if something goes wrong and causes a delay. 

For a few dollars more, I suggest booking the RC tour to Trunk Bay over the St John on your own.

We did a B2B last Jan/Feb on Symphony. Both stops in St. Thomas we did the STJ on your own. First time hit some bars and shops in Cruz Bay. Second time took a taxi up to the Windmill Bar. Returning, our taxi driver's car did not immediately start. We had an hour to spare, so we weren't panicking. He eventually got it running.

The ferry back to St Thomas departs exactly at the time they ask you to be back.