First time Cruiser-Will be on Nav. of the Seas. in Feb.

Marline

1. We will board on Feb. 14th..Valentines Day..Should I expect to see many in red since it is a holiday?

2. Also..on Casual nights will my husband feel more comfortable in a Hawaii style shirt or polo..As far as most others will be dressed.? Don't want him to feel out of place.

3. On a 6 night cruise is there always 2 formal nights and one smart casual..the rest casual? Or sometimes..in the main dining room? 

Hi Marline! I've never been on a holiday cruise, so I can't speak to that. However, maybe I can help with the other two questions.

Recently, we all had a big discussion about the dress code in the theater and dining room (http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php/topic/1168-dress-code-for-the-shows/). Regardless of our personal opinions about how things SHOULD be, we all seem to concur about what actually does happen.

If your husband went to the MDR (Main Dining Room) on any non-formal night, wearing jeans or slacks and a button down or polo, he'd fit right in. Sure, there would be some people dressed more formally than he would be, but there would likely be even more people dressed worse than he would be. I'm a full-on suit or tux man on formal night guy (not just "wear a tie and call it formal"), but I've attached a few photos to show you what I did for casual nights (as well, I've included a photo of some new friends we met and what they wore). In fact, even though they say you're not supposed to wear shorts to the MDR, many people were. The dress code tries to create a certain atmosphere, but when push comes to shove, the Royal crew is not going to make guests feel uncomfortable by calling them out, if they're at least halfway decently dressed. It does happen, but it's rare. To be called out, you'd probably need to be wearing flip flops and a pool towel as a shirt. Sadly, a lot of people do not respect the traditions.

On our recent 7-night Freedom cruise (sailed on 10/18/2015), there were two formal nights. We scanned our Cruise Compass in so Matt could post it for everyone. You can see it here: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compasses/freedom-of-the-seas/sun-2015-10-18-0000. You'll see that, on the top of each new day, Royal posts what that day's dress code is.Some days it's "casual" and some days it's "smart casual," but don't ask me what the difference is. I saw no difference in what people wore.

I hope that helps.

post-2933-0-01254600-1446917142_thumb.jpg

post-2933-0-30488200-1446917142_thumb.jpg

post-2933-0-56716700-1446917142_thumb.jpg

post-2933-0-84855500-1446917142_thumb.jpg

post-2933-0-11131100-1446917143_thumb.jpg

Thanks..this helped alot...especially pictures..so if he wears Hawaiian Columbian Jamaica Joe type shirts will he feel out of place?? Or polo golf type be better?

You're welcome. Matt has created a very positive environment here and has attracted quality folks. I'm sure one day you'll return the favor or pay it forward to someone else - either way works for me! :D As for the pictures, Matt is very keen on illustrating, in addition to describing. I don't generally post photos of myself. In fact, I don't usually take them either. But The Queen (a.k.a. my wife) really wanted the unlimited photo package this time, and how can I say no to her majesty? And Matt has provided me with so much, that I also could not refuse him. So photos were taken, and photos were posted. I'm glad you could benefit from them.

So now it's your turn. What on earth is a "Hawaiian Columbian Jamaica Joe type shirt?" Post a photo or share a link, because I cannot answer one way or another without knowing what you mean. Sorry. :unsure:

I will say this though, I didn't know if a Harley-Davidson button down would be a appropriate, but I went for it. It's a cruise! It's not a meeting with the Matt Hochberg! It seems that these days anything goes on a cruise! A meeting with Matt Hochberg, however, has clearly delineated guidelines. It's a lot like meeting Queen Elizabeth II. In fact, I think I'd be more humbled meeting Mr. Hochberg. ;) But seriously, anything goes. If your husband feels comfortable in a "Hawaiian Columbian Jamaica Joe type shirt," then that's what he should wear. Did I feel like people were looking at me because of my HD attire? The thought never entered my mind! I love riding and I love cruising. Why shouldn't the two intermingle? So tell Mr. Marline to wear whatever the heck he wants to! It's a cruise!!!