Cultural Delights (On Your Own) -- Nassau, Bahamas -- Reviews?

TwoCanSailAway

We are taking a group of 1st-time cruisers on Indy in April 2024. For most of them, it will be their first time out of the USA. 

For this group, we are opting to pay a bit more for ship-sponsored shore excursions just to keep things easy. We understand that non-ship Shore Excursions are more cost-effective.

I noticed the Cultural Delights (On Your Own) Shore Excursion & thought it might be a great way to 'explore' Nassau and allow everyone to sample local cuisine.

• Has anyone ever taken this trip before?
  • Is the experience worth the cost?
  • Does anyone know if transportation is included from the ship to The Villages? 
    • The language in the cruise planner doesn't confirm a bus/ shuttle.  The "on your own"  & "Make the short drive to The Villages" make me think transportation might not be included. 

---------------------------------------------------------

Cultural Delights (On Your Own) Shore Excursion

Overview

Embrace the spirit of the Bahamas at your own pace, and according to your unique tastes, as you enter the vibrant atmosphere of idiscover: The Village, which features art, craft, food, and beverage options, on this enriching and self-paced experience.

Highlights

• Make the short drive to The Village, home to the original conch platter and bursting with history, music, and a colorful appreciation for Bahamian art and culture.
  • Immerse yourself in the lively Bahamian culture as you join in the fun of Junkanoo, a vibrant street parade that embodies the exuberant island lifestyle through high-energy music and dance.
  • Have a taste of conch fritters and a local Bahamian beer to start your experience.
  • Enjoy free time to explore The Village at your leisure, soaking in the vibrant atmosphere, interacting with vendors, and savoring the best of Bahamian art, culture, and cuisine.

I've seen this offered on a sailing I'm on as well. As far as I can tell, transportation is included to The Village from the ship based on the language versus excursions were transportation isn't provided. The Village in this case being Junkanoo Village next to the Fish Fry, or possibly the large grassy area on the southern edge of the Fish Fry, (https://maps.app.goo.gl/h2t1J47664xE2QUx9) or The Village area on Paradise Island (https://maps.app.goo.gl/sXqCNuj8sPWTatt5A) either way I'm not convinced it's worth ~$60 per person for what's on offer. Nassau's greatest hits (excluding Paradise Island) are mostly walkable from the pier and the areas are safe. Yes, you'll probably get a few solicitations for excursions or drugs, but nothing a "No, thanks," and keep walking won't handle.