When do shore excursions open up?

usmcakc

My wife and I will be cruising on Harmony of the Seas next year for our 10 year anniversary.  It is our first time cruising so the information here has been invaluable to say the least.  Currently Falmouth has about 50 excursions to choose from, Cozumel only has 3, and Labadee has 6. Does anyone have a rough timeline on when I should expect more excursions to be offered on Cozumel and Labadee?  My main worry is that they will be added I won't notice and then I won't get to choose what we really want.  Do some excursions tend to be completely booked before your sail date? 

I have seen excursions more than a year out and some that haven't shown up until about three months out. My guess is that they're negotiating contracts. I'd suggest somewhere between 3-6 months before sailing. Most people don't even consider booking tours until after final payment since you must pay at the time of booking.

Do keep in mind that prices do change, so it can be worth booking in advance if you can afford to do so to lock in the price.

I have sailed several cruise lines and I know that Princess doesn't usually open shore excursions until 90 to 180 days before the cruise. Carnival opens them immediately but adds to them. NCL doesn't have the slightest idea what they are doing. Celebrity opens theirs right away and adds to them. RCCL, I have some open right now for one of my cruises but only one port, the cruise is 10 months away. The other ports have no excursions listed. I think when the cruise line gets them set in stone then they open them.

Thank you both for your help!  I had never thought that the excursions may change in price so that is good to know also. 

Our cruise is exactly a year from today, but I can't help but get the feeling that I'm missing something with it being our first time through the process.

Everyone that cruises does things differently. I keep a file for each cruise I have booked. Everything about that cruise goes in the file and then the file goes with me on the cruise, because it has all of the paperwork necessary, boarding pass, luggage tags, shore excursions reservations, OBC, etc. that you don't put on until you get to the port, etc.

I am the kind of person that must have everything done and paid for months before. The only advice I would give you (there has been a lot of discussion about this) don't pay your cruise off completely. That way if the price drops, you might get some money deducted from the price of your cruise. I always leave a balance of $100 on each cruise for that reason.

Candie