Is saving this cruise possible?

AlohaLivin

I am feeling so miserable! ? Weeks ago we booked a panoramic suite (the large 2 bedroom) on the RCL adventure of the seas for Thanksgiving week 2019. It was about $2000 each and after it was made to  a full suite category. But today I learned that someone booked in July and it was half that. Honestly, for me wasting money is one of those things that really gets to me and this feels really bad. I had no way of knowing of course, but it feels way past price fluctuations and right into being seriously ripped off. It definitely effects how I feel about RCL.  Maybe id I had not have known, but the poster made sure to be very specific. ?

Maybe it’s that these people somehow got that room just before the change and so they are getting the benefit of timing, I am not sure. I am also not sure which way to go on this now since I just added my sister on to the cruise yesterday (so someone else other than hubby and I are effected).

If anyone had any ideas that would be great, I could use a few right now! FYI we booked through an online vendor on this so not sure I can call them myself. 

Lynn

Lynn, I know what post you are referring to.  I don't think you are getting "ripped off".  I think it is the time of year that you are cruising, so you need to set your expectations for price accordingly.  You are cruising over a holiday.  The other poster is going in December (if I read it correctly).  The fares are typically lower the first few weeks of December.

I have 2 of these suites booked in the near future.  Both 1804.  I am paying double the price on one than the other.  Reason?  One is a NYE sailing (next year) and one isn't.  Same room.  Same 4 people.  Always expect to pay a premium for holiday sailings.

1 hour ago, 2Beeze said:

I am feeling so miserable! ? Weeks ago we booked a panoramic suite (the large 2 bedroom) on the RCL adventure of the seas for Thanksgiving week 2019. It was about $2000 each and after it was made to  a full suite category. But today I learned that someone booked in July and it was half that. Honestly, for me wasting money is one of those things that really gets to me and this feels really bad. I had no way of knowing of course, but it feels way past price fluctuations and right into being seriously ripped off. It definitely effects how I feel about RCL.  Maybe id I had not have known, but the poster made sure to be very specific. ?

Maybe it’s that these people somehow got that room just before the change and so they are getting the benefit of timing, I am not sure. I am also not sure which way to go on this now since I just added my sister on to the cruise yesterday (so someone else other than hubby and I are effected).

If anyone had any ideas that would be great, I could use a few right now! FYI we booked through an online vendor on this so not sure I can call them myself. 

Lynn

I am so sorry that happen to you. I felt the same way with the Anthem cruise just went on when I found down 5 days later I should save $600 if I wait 5 days to book. Anyway, we just came back from the cruise even with bad food on Thanksgiving's day, I will still want to go again with what I paid on Anthem. We had so much fun and I think you will also. Just don't worry about other person paid.

Do you pay for $2000 for each person? if $2000 / person for the suite that is not a bad price at all or I miss understanding? 

@2Beeze, that's really awful about the big price difference. Unfortunately, it does look like the folks who booked in July did indeed get the advantage of timing their purchase before the conversion to full suite benefits was announced. You noted that other person booked in July, but @Matt's post about Royal announcing the update is dated September 20 of this year, about two months after the other person booked. Royal doesn't usually jack up the prices (e.g., with fully refurbished ships) until after the date of the update kicks in, or at least the date the update will begin is officially announced -- see the current Oasis prices, which are still lower relative to other Oasis class ships since her official drydock date for AMPlification hasn't been announced, only the fact it's happening next year.

It's never fun to find out you could have saved a bundle, but I do think this is a case where it's just that the timing worked out very well for that other family. If you still feel that you're being price-gouged (and if I'm being honest, $2k per person for a room that doesn't even have a balcony strikes me as very much on the gouging side  EDIT -- Just saw @Lovetocruise2002's comment that this is a holiday booking, so I'm withdrawing my statement about gouging at least until I have a reference point on non-holiday but regular peak season pricing), you'd be well within your rights to cancel if you just don't feel like it's worth the price, or if you just think you'll have that thought hanging over you the whole trip.

I don't have ideas. I do know that sailings on holidays cost a whole lot more than non-holiday's. I'm paying double to be on Brilliance for New Year's. I wasn't necessarily looking to be on a cruise for New Year's but that's when our schedules (wife works in a school and college/high school kids). 

I also booked a Bermuda cruise in July and paying full fare for a 3 and a 2 yo - again because of school schedules and summer sailings don't get the Kids Sail Free.

I'm not sure why you feel like you're being ripped off.  I totally get the frustration in paying more than someone else, but as long as you're comfortable with the price offered when you booked, it really should not matter what someone else paid.  

First and foremost, there's nothing you can do to match that old price the other person allegedly paid.  It's like going to the supermarket and asking to pay the price of cereal from last year when it was cheaper/on sale. 

Second, you'll still have a great time.  I hate to say ignorance is bliss, but had you not known some other person got it for cheaper, it sounds like you would have been happy with the cruise you booked.

Your only option would be to cancel this sailing and wait for a better deal on another cruise.  I'm not sure I'd go that route since when you booked the cruise, you were fine with the price.

I have not read the thread that you and Sabrina are referencing....but if the facts are accurate - that the lower priced cruise is in early Dec and the one you are on is over either Christmas or NY, let me say that that those 2 cruising weeks are as far apart in pricing as you can get.  Typically, the cheapest weeks of the year to cruise are the first 2 weeks of December and the most expensive weeks to cruise are the last 2 weeks of December.

There could well be some issues related to timing - if the original booker happened to catch the booking before the rooms converted over to full suites benefits, that is just their good luck, but not necessarily your bad luck.  It is what it is.  Booking over Christmas or NY is as pricey as it gets - and booking suites over the holidays is a double whammy.

It all comes down to attitude...(or the ability to fool yourself.  Whichever makes it the easiest to accept).  Feel fortunate that you were even able to GET a suite on a holiday cruise.  Expensive as they are, they go FAST and the fact that you have one (or 2, from what it sounds like) is a tremendous bit of good luck.  There is nothing like the Holidays in a suite.  It's as good as it gets.

Nobody likes to think that they are paying too much for something.  If this is something that your family want, then it is worth whatever it costs.  I learned a long time ago not to worry about what someone else paid.  That is their business.  Mine is how much I am willing to pay for what I want.  Many MANY people do not think that suites are worth the price - nor do they think that dining packages or drink packages are worth the extra price.  We do.  We like having whatever we want, whenever we want it.  That's what makes us happy.  So, whatever it costs...that's what it costs.  Sometimes I find the cost too high.  That's why I do not have any current bookings on any Oasis class ships, even though they are my favorite.  The price for what I want (Star Class) is just too high on the new O class ships right now !  I am cruising Star Class on Anthem during the winter b/c it's at a price I am willing to pay.

I don't mean this to sound like a lecture.  It's a pep talk even if it sounds like a lecture.

?

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

that the lower priced cruise is in early Dec and the one you are on is over either Christmas or NY, let me say that that those 2 cruising weeks are as far apart in pricing as you can get.  Typically, the cheapest weeks of the year to cruise are the first 2 weeks of December and the most expensive weeks to cruise are the last 2 weeks of December.

Exactly!  Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.  Prices are influenced by so many factors, you have to be careful when comparing what someone paid to what you are paying.

You will pay a premium for holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, New year, 4th of July and whenever kid out of school (Summer month) or a few days off in the week for kids like Easter. Before I have a kid I can go any month of the year and paid less now I am on my kid schedule and no I don't leave him at home. 

@Lovetocruise2002 @Susie @JLMoran @KJ1231

do really appreciate all of you trying to walk me back from the ledge or genade cabinet (just kidding on the second, I don’t really have one ?). I felt so guilty that I had made such a rotten decision,  it’s a truly miserable feeling ☹️ I did understand it was a holiday, but you also have to remember that I thought it was still a super good buy for a holiday, and now I realize it was not. 

The points are all valid, and I really didn’t think this morning  about those two weeks at the first of December always being really low -  but it was still really painful for it to be double ( and I’m sure any of you would probably feel the same as saying those numbers ?). 

I am going to kick in my inner @lovetocruise2002 and watch those prices like someone possessed (my her that is lol). 

@KJ1231  ouch on those kiddie prices, that is insane!

thanks again, group hug!!!! ?

Lynn

35 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'm not sure why you feel like you're being ripped off.  I totally get the frustration in paying more than someone else, but as long as you're comfortable with the price offered when you booked, it really should not matter what someone else paid.  

First and foremost, there's nothing you can do to match that old price the other person allegedly paid.  It's like going to the supermarket and asking to pay the price of cereal from last year when it was cheaper/on sale. 

Second, you'll still have a great time.  I hate to say ignorance is bliss, but had you not known some other person got it for cheaper, it sounds like you would have been happy with the cruise you booked.

Your only option would be to cancel this sailing and wait for a better deal on another cruise.  I'm not sure I'd go that route since when you booked the cruise, you were fine with the price.

I’m sorry that you can’t understand how I might feel.  Thank you for your input.

2 minutes ago, 2Beeze said:

I did understand it was a holiday, but you also have to remember that I thought it was still a super good buy for a holiday, and now I realize it was not. 

How do you know that it wasn't a good deal for a holiday sailing??

I booked Indy last minute for this year.  The price I am paying for an ocean view (inner suite snob is still trying to come to terms with that) is what I am paying for next year's VP.  So, even though that sailing is double my summer sailing, I still consider it a good deal!

18 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I have not read the thread that you and Sabrina are referencing....but if the facts are accurate - that the lower priced cruise is in early Dec and the one you are on is over either Christmas or NY, let me say that that those 2 cruising weeks are as far apart in pricing as you can get.  Typically, the cheapest weeks of the year to cruise are the first 2 weeks of December and the most expensive weeks to cruise are the last 2 weeks of December.

There could well be some issues related to timing - if the original booker happened to catch the booking before the rooms converted over to full suites benefits, that is just their good luck, but not necessarily your bad luck.  It is what it is.  Booking over Christmas or NY is as pricey as it gets - and booking suites over the holidays is a double whammy.

It all comes down to attitude...(or the ability to fool yourself.  Whichever makes it the easiest to accept).  Feel fortunate that you were even able to GET a suite on a holiday cruise.  Expensive as they are, they go FAST and the fact that you have one (or 2, from what it sounds like) is a tremendous bit of good luck.  There is nothing like the Holidays in a suite.  It's as good as it gets.

Nobody likes to think that they are paying too much for something.  If this is something that your family want, then it is worth whatever it costs.  I learned a long time ago not to worry about what someone else paid.  That is their business.  Mine is how much I am willing to pay for what I want.  Many MANY people do not think that suites are worth the price - nor do they think that dining packages or drink packages are worth the extra price.  We do.  We like having whatever we want, whenever we want it.  That's what makes us happy.  So, whatever it costs...that's what it costs.  Sometimes I find the cost too high.  That's why I do not have any current bookings on any Oasis class ships, even though they are my favorite.  The price for what I want (Star Class) is just too high on the new O class ships right now !  I am cruising Star Class on Anthem during the winter b/c it's at a price I am willing to pay.

I don't mean this to sound like a lecture.  It's a pep talk even if it sounds like a lecture.

?

That was part of the issue -  it would have helped a lot if I had just not known ( and I don’t believe that the poster meant to cause a create a problem).

But hopefully most people can understand it was less about money and more about feeling guilty. At least that was part of what I needed, just for somebody to understand and maybe make me feel better. I have no doubt your intent was to help ?  

I had crossed my fingers when I posted that I wouldn’t get any of those post that basically said “you’re stupid for feeling this way” and I am thankful there was little of that and way more hugs! ❤️

Lynn

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

How do you know that it wasn't a good deal for a holiday sailing??

I booked Indy last minute for this year.  The price I am paying for an ocean view (inner suite snob is still trying to come to terms with that) is what I am paying for next year's VP.  So, even though that sailing is double my summer sailing, I still consider it a good deal!

I just mean a better one than it ended up being. All is relative ?

”inner suite snob” ???

I paid for past Thanksgiving on Anthem in the Balcony Cat 5D not even Suite so it might help you feel better for what you paid. I paid almost $1200 Each person. I, my hubby and a 6 yrs old son total cost almost $3500+

$2000 per person on the Suite is really great price IMO. I know you feel bad today. Just think it is what it is and don't let it ruin your trip. ?

3 hours ago, Susie said:

I paid for past Thanksgiving on Anthem in the Balcony Cat 5D not even Suite so it might help you feel better for what you paid. I paid almost $1200 Each person. I, my hubby and a 6 yrs old son total cost almost $3500+

$2000 per person on the Suite is really great price IMO. I know you feel bad today. Just think it is what it is and don't let it ruin your trip. ?

Thanks! I really do appreciate people trying to help me feel better. ?  I think that it was worse becsuse (a) ours was exactly 2x the cost and (b) I had just realized last night, after recently booking a second RCL cruise for next year, that only a handful of RCL ships offer Voom free to suite guests (when that is part of my calculation on “fair price”).  Double whammy after insomnia! And before anyone decides to suggest that I am an idiot, truthfully it is often quite unclear which benefits are offered on suites on a given ship (otherwise blogs like this wouldn’t exist - there are constant questions on all boards that are cruise related about these kinds of details as the official information is unclear and the web info often has huge discrepancies).  That combo did not bring out my cheeriest self. But again, for those offering understanding and kind perspective I am honestly appreciative!  ?

Lynn

P.S seriously, going now to do a kickboxing workout...now where are those BoBo dolls.../. ???

Sometimes it's better to not know what other people paid.  Next time you take an airplane, I guarantee you will not have paid the same as anyone around you.  Some will have paid less, and others will have paid more.  All depends on timing.  I've been tracking air prices for next July and it's amazing how the prices can vary day by day.  I'm waiting for a fare that is what I'm willing to pay, and then will book.  Then I won't look anymore because I don't want to know that others are paying less.  LOL 

If I'm reading this thread correctly, the other person you are referring to are sailing at a different time of December than you.  If it makes you feel better, go do a mock reservation for the week you are sailing, and the week they are sailing, and you will see how the prices are so different.  

1 hour ago, KathyC said:

Sometimes it's better to not know what other people paid.  Next time you take an airplane, I guarantee you will not have paid the same as anyone around you.  Some will have paid less, and others will have paid more.  All depends on timing.  I've been tracking air prices for next July and it's amazing how the prices can vary day by day.  I'm waiting for a fare that is what I'm willing to pay, and then will book.  Then I won't look anymore because I don't want to know that others are paying less.  LOL 

If I'm reading this thread correctly, the other person you are referring to are sailing at a different time of December than you.  If it makes you feel better, go do a mock reservation for the week you are sailing, and the week they are sailing, and you will see how the prices are so different.  

I understood that prices differ, honestly ? The issue for me was not that prices differ, I have lived a long time and sincerely get that, but the issue was it twice as much!  There’s not a little bit, that is a heckuva lot  ?. I often hesitate to post anywhere online because I know that they’ll be people who misunderstand, even people that will be mean (not at all saying you are mean, but there are too many people who seem to get their needs met by delivering their version of ‘truth” and “the facts” online as we all know too well0. But this morning I just needed to reach out and express that frustration (believe me, I so wish that poster had not decided to put his price in a post that I had the super bad luck to see - It wasn’t so much my choice asked to see his price, as it was in my face. But I’m good, all is fine. ?✌ Thanks all.

BUT,  I am still looking for @Lovetocruise2002 ‘s inner suite snob ?  

Lynn

17 minutes ago, 2Beeze said:

I understood that prices differ, honestly ? The issue for me was not that prices differ, I have lived a long time and sincerely get that, but the issue was it twice as much!  There’s not a little bit, that is a heckuva lot  ?. I often hesitate to post anywhere online because I know that they’ll be people who misunderstand, even people that will be mean (not at all saying you are mean, but there are too many people who seem to get their needs met by delivering their version of ‘truth” and “the facts” online as we all know too well0. But this morning I just needed to reach out and express that frustration (believe me, I so wish that poster had not decided to put his price in a post that I had the super bad luck to see - It wasn’t so much my choice asked to see his price, as it was in my face. But I’m good, all is fine. ?✌ Thanks all.

BUT,  I am still looking for @Lovetocruise2002 ‘s inner suite snob ?  

Lynn

Go check the prices for a Disney cruise that week.  That will make you feel better ?

Every year certain weeks are less expensive year after year.  The two weeks after US Thanksgiving are often in that low realm.  Holidays and common vacation periods such as spring and summer school breaks are often highest.  It is the old concept of supply and demand.  During those weeks that everyone wants to cruise, demand goes up and so does pricing.  During those weeks that less people can cruise, lower demand equates to lower prices.  

In that respect cruising is a lot airfare.  If you book airfare for Thanksgiving or Christmas or spring break you'll get impacted by the same effect.  Everyone on that plane paid more than the very same flight compared to a week after Thanksgiving.  The plane didn't change, the route it flew didn't change, it's just higher because more people want it.  

Some people like teachers have no choice - they simply can't just take a few weeks off work here and there, they can only vacation during school breaks.  Anyone with kids in school knows this very well.  

Those breaks would be an ideal time for me to cruise because most of my business clients are on vacation and don't need me.  Unfortunately the cost to cruise is higher so I sat out Thanksgiving not cruising this year but I am on a cruise right now because... the week after Thanksgiving is always less expensive than the week of Thanksgiving.

One of my cruise buddies is a high school teacher.  Her daughter is in college.  Neither can cruise with me during those cheap times.  I'd much rather cruise with friends and family but few of them have the flexibility to cruise based on when cruise fares are the cheapest.  They can cruise when work or school allows them to.  

When I took my son to Alaska this past summer I had to accept higher fares for when he could travel.  He couldn't go in the 'shoulder' season May or September when Alaska cruises are cheapest.  That's life.  I paid more so that my son could go with me.  However it was worth it.  It was his first time to Alaska and we had a blast.  That's what really matters, even though I know it would have been cheaper in May.  Oh well.  

Just now, twangster said:

Every year certain weeks are less expensive year after year.  The two weeks after US Thanksgiving are often in that low realm.  Holidays and common vacation periods such as spring and summer school breaks are often highest.  It is the old concept of supply and demand.  During those weeks that everyone wants to cruise, demand goes up and so does pricing.  During those weeks that less people can cruise, lower demand equates to lower prices.  

In that respect cruising is a lot airfare.  If you book airfare for Thanksgiving or Christmas or spring break you'll get impacted by the same effect.  Everyone on that plane paid more than the very same flight a week after Thanksgiving.  The plane didn't change, the route it flew didn't change, it's just higher because more people want it.  

Some people like teachers have no choice - they simply can't just take a few weeks off work here and there, they can only vacation during school breaks.  Anyone with kids in school knows this very well.  

Those breaks would be an ideal time for me to cruise because most of my business clients are on vacation and don't need me.  Unfortunately the cost to cruise is higher so I sat out Thanksgiving not cruising this year but I am on a cruise right now because... the week after Thanksgiving is always less expensive than the week before.

One of my cruise buddies is a high school teacher.  Her daughter is in college.  Neither can cruise with me during those cheap times.  I'd much rather cruise with friends and family but few of them have the flexibility to cruise based on when cruise fares are the cheapest.  They can cruise when work or school allows them to.  

When I took my son to Alaska this past summer I had to accept higher fares for when he could travel.  He couldn't go in the 'shoulder' season May or September when Alaska cruises are cheapest.  That's life.  I paid more so that my son could go with me.  However it was worth it.  It was his first time to Alaska and we had a blast.  That's what really matters, even though I know it would have been cheaper in May.  Oh well.  

That is one reason I am fighting leaving private practice for academia, it will seriously cut into to ability to a schedule freely (but with both of my parents being in academia my entire life, I fully understand). I am still trying to get past to full payment for children under 5 ???

The other way I look at it... Sometimes i get a heck of a deal and score one of those OMG prices.  The reality is that doesn't happen every cruise I take.  Some of my cruises are right up there with everyone else.  The once in a blue moon deals help to lower the average price for my cruise addiction but not every cruise can be one of those 'OMG I paid the least of anyone on the ship'  deals.  

It sounds like you did okay but not the cheapest of the year.  It's Thanksgiving, for that week you did pretty good.  If you keep cruising you'll score one of those "OMG' deals and for that cruise you walk around knowing you paid less than most people on board.  Just don't think that's going to happen every cruise because if you only cruise when prices are rock bottom you won't cruise that often.  

Next time you fly look around.  Some people paid cheap fares for that flight.  Others paid outrageous fares.  They are sitting right next to each other.  There are thousands of planes in the air at any given moment and that same story plays out across all of them.  If you only fly when you can be the cheapest person on board, you'll be staying home a lot.

22 minutes ago, twangster said:

The other way I look at it... Sometimes i get a heck of a deal and score one of those OMG prices.  The reality is that doesn't happen every cruise I take.  Some of my cruises are right up there with everyone else.  The once in a blue moon deals help to lower the average price for my cruise addiction but not every cruise can be one of those 'OMG I paid the least of anyone on the ship'  deals.  

It sounds like you did okay but not the cheapest of the year.  It's Thanksgiving, for that week you did pretty good.  If you keep cruising you'll score one of those "OMG' deals and for that cruise you walk around knowing you paid less than most people on board.  Just don't think that's going to happen every cruise because if you only cruise when prices are rock bottom you won't cruise that often.  

Next time you fly look around.  Some people paid cheap fares for that flight.  Others paid outrageous fares.  They are sitting right next to each other.  There are thousands of planes in the air at any given moment and that same story plays out across all of them.  If you only fly when you can be the cheapest person on board, you'll be staying home a lot.

I do understand that, I promise. I am starting to wonder if my post made me look like a complete buffoon or if didn’t explain it fully or something  ? I think it was reasonable for me to feel bad about paying TWICE the price, honestly. I get the perspective part, I spend all day helping others see it, but as I said often above I get it. Beginning to feel a bit like a child told repeatedly that I should be more grateful. I do appreciate the input, but I had tried to be clear that all was good to cut this off. I get it, I swear, ... really, I promise.  Not sure I needed spanking. Believe me, I have learned my lesson <sigh> . Topic closed please?

I totally “get it”. Our first cruise my husband was in charge. We paid a ridiculous amount of money for a balcony room. That was 2004 I think. We’ve never paid that much for a cruise since then. It STILL bothers me how much we paid for that cruise ? in a funny way. It was a great cruise but the cost still makes me cringe. 

For comparison we are currently booked in a suite ( 5 of us) on the Allure the week before Christmas for about the same amount as that first Adventure cruise. ?