Wheelchair Availability

tx2tn

I would start by contacting Royal Caribbean and filling out their special needs form.  In addition, there are services like Special Needs at Sea that provides rentals for the duration of your cruise.  While each ship does have some onboard, I am unsure if they're available for use for the entire duration of the cruise or just for short needs (e.g., getting on and off the ship).

Another benefit of contacting Royal in advance is that they will be able to provide your wife with assistance for embarkation and disembarkation which can require a lot of standing and walking at times.

As a follow up to my original post. RCCL was not overly helpful. They denied that they had any opportunity to provide one of their passengers a wheelchair or other mobility device. They offered assistance in boarding but from then on you were essentially on your own. We asked what they would do in the event someone (mid cruise) would sprain their ankle, they had no response other than the passenger might have to be removed. We ended up renting a wheelchair from a local company who promised that the wheelchair would be on board on embarcation day. We'll see if that happens. Thanks

Thanks for the update, tx2tn.  I think renting one is the best option as you'll be assured their availability.  However, I do know that they have them onboard.  The problem is that they have a limited number and they could end up being in short supply.  My mom ended up needing one on another cruise line mid cruise and they were able to provide one for her, but if others were in need before her they might not have been available.