This is our first Royal Caribbean cruise

Melsmice

My husband and I have taken one other 4 day cruise on a different cruise line.   Our kids are grown, so no children with us.  This will be our first Royal Caribbean cruise.  Seven day Western Caribbean on the Oasis of the Seas.  I'm looking for all the tips and information that anyone can give me.  

I'm wondering about excursions (Haiti, Jamaica and Cozumel).  We are not adventure seekers but like fun activities and good food.  We enjoy a laid back vacation with a good book and a drink.  

Hi @Melsmice, welcome to the message boards!

10 minutes ago, Melsmice said:

I'm wondering about excursions (Haiti, Jamaica and Cozumel).  We are not adventure seekers but like fun activities and good food.  We enjoy a laid back vacation with a good book and a drink.

On Haiti, you'll be in a secluded private beach owned by Royal called Labadee. This place is the embodiment of a laid back vacation, with lots of beaches, a few activities for those who want them, and tons of beach time.

@Matt wrote a guide to Labadee that will give you a nice overview of the area and what it has to offer. There's also a recent podcast episode that you may find valuable.

Just from my personal experience there last April, I would say that if you just want something fun to do while there that isn't too crazy, the alpine roller coaster they have is probably your best bet. It's not at all intense and the car includes a hand brake that you use to control your speed through the whole ride. If you go there in the morning, before lunch, you'll have the shortest lines and could do just a single-ride ticket or get good use out of an all-day pass; I had the latter when we went there last April, and was able to ride it four times in about an hour. Going in the afternoon means much longer lines and it's also hotter.

I'll also note that out of all the beaches, Columbus Cove is the one with the best sand when you go into the water. The other beaches are rocky and absolutely require water shoes, but Columbus Cove is nice soft sand all around.

9 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Hi @Melsmice, welcome to the message boards!

On Haiti, you'll be in a secluded private beach owned by Royal called Labadee. This place is the embodiment of a laid back vacation, with lots of beaches, a few activities for those who want them, and tons of beach time.

@Matt wrote a guide to Labadee that will give you a nice overview of the area and what it has to offer. There's also a recent podcast episode that you may find valuable.

Just from my personal experience there last April, I would say that if you just want something fun to do while there that isn't too crazy, the alpine roller coaster they have is probably your best bet. It's not at all intense and the car includes a hand brake that you use to control your speed through the whole ride. If you go there in the morning, before lunch, you'll have the shortest lines and could do just a single-ride ticket or get good use out of an all-day pass; I had the latter when we went there last April, and was able to ride it four times in about an hour. Going in the afternoon means much longer lines and it's also hotter.

I'll also note that out of all the beaches, Columbus Cove is the one with the best sand when you go into the water. The other beaches are rocky and absolutely require water shoes, but Columbus Cove is nice soft sand all around.

Thanks so much!  

There are people here with tons of information on RCL and I know they will be happy to help you with your question (we usually cruises another/other lines and recently tried RCL and of the 3 cruises now booked 2 are RCL). ?  And like you we were constrained for what felt like forever with responsibilities larger than our need to vacation frequently.  ? But I have developed a pretty good packing and must take list for cruising to the Caribbean and to Alaska. Just let me know if you would like me to send the packing list to you (and the method I use to not over pack for cruises) ? Enjoy! ?

@Kj1231. Hi! The list and recommenations are in the mail. The added the info on packing and formal night options with the list since those are the ones most people ask me about. Have a great cruise! ?

Edit - I redid the list and sent you the updated version this evening. Hope that you received both! ?

Lynn ✌?

10 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

There are people here with tons of information on RCL and I know they will be happy to help you with your question (we usually cruises another/other lines and recently tried RCL and of the 3 cruises now booked 2 are RCL). ?  And like you we were constrained for what felt like forever with responsibilities larger than our need to vacation frequently.  ? But I have developed a pretty good packing and must take list for cruising to the Caribbean and to Alaska. Just let me know if you would like me to send the packing list to you (and the method I use to not over pack for cruises) ? Enjoy! ?

May I get a copy of your lists please? Thank you, Kim.

I went to Jamaica a few times. If you not adventurous I will suggest Margaritaville in Jamaica however they not really laid back though. It is more like drinking and enjoying a pool party with music. We did Dun's river falls in Jamaica and it is great, however, it is a lot of climbing the falls.

Cozumel, we went to the beach by local taxi. It is just OK. However, shopping in Cozumel was great and beer really cheap. LOL cheaper than water and would say safer to drink beer than water.

1 hour ago, Susie said:

I went to Jamaica a few times. If you not adventurous I will suggest Margaritaville in Jamaica however they not really laid back though. It is more like drinking and enjoying a pool party with music. We did Dun's river falls in Jamaica and it is great, however, it is a lot of climbing the falls.

Cozumel, we went to the beach by local taxi. It is just OK. However, shopping in Cozumel was great and beer really cheap. LOL cheaper than water and would say safer to drink beer than water.

Thanks.  My husband is a beer drinker and might enjoy something like that.  

• 1 month later...

You should try to get your reservations for the shows as soon as you can as they go fast.   When you get the reservations they will be put on your sea pass card.  Even though you have reservations you will want to still get to the shows early as the reservations aren't for a seat but just to get you in.  The aqua theater show will have two lines.  One for the reservations and one for standbys .  Get their early because they still have to scan the cards to make sure you have a reservation and it takes time.  10 or 15min before show time they open the line for standbys and it can be a big mess.  On my last cruise they opened the standby line before the reservation line was done and it was a big cluster.   Also the comedy club needs a reservation and it is usually a good show (R rated).  If your feelings get hurt easily dont do the comedy show.....they take a jab at everyone and everything.

On 11/24/2018 at 10:15 AM, 2Beeze said:

Can I get the list?