Is Sabor Worth The Cost?

stevendom57

I am booked on Liberty OTS out of Galveston on May 5.

I have been looking at specialty dining options and found that Sabor, is $30 a person. That is a lot of money for Mexican food. I live in Texas and a good TexMex dinner is about $10-15 (without alcohol) and I leave the restaurant with my belly meter pegged on F(ull). 

What makes Sabor worth $30 a person?

Thanks

Steven

If you are from TX and used to good Mexican food, Sabor isn't that.  It's good, but not the best Mexican food you'll ever encounter. 

Consider you already paid for dinner.  Sabor should be offset by that and be $10-15.  At that price point it would probably be hard to get in so they've likely adjusted prices based on what the market will bear.  I doubt I'd do it for $30.  It's $22 on Oasis next week.

It is a $30 meal that should sell for 8 bucks at any restaurant.   There is nothing, NOTHING special about the food.  We dined Sabor on FOS and they could remove the sign and open a French restaurant in thirty minutes.   They wouldn't need to change the decor because there isn't any identifiable Mexican decor...just another room to dine in.  Everyone was oooh...and aaahing over the tableside guacamole being prepared.  I guessed they didn't get out much to Mexican restaurants.  

The specialty dining debate is as old as the dress code for formal night in the MDR.   My take on it is you are already paying for the food in the MDR.  Why would you want to pay twice for a meal?  Is the food that much better than the food you already paid for?  Not in my opinion but then again,  you know what they say about opinions!

1 hour ago, MikeK said:

The specialty dining debate is as old as the dress code for formal night in the MDR.   My take on it is you are already paying for the food in the MDR.  Why would you want to pay twice for a meal?  Is the food that much better than the food you already paid for?  Not in my opinion but then again,  you know what they say about opinions!

To answer the OP $30 no but $20 might be. 

@MikeK  I was thinking the same thing about why I have to pay for the food again that why I had never dined in a special dining restaurant. However, these past few years had changed my attitude about the food on RCI cruise. I used to think so many great choices on MDR but now I can't find what to order since every night is mostly the same. To add it up, this past cruise on Anthem I went on MDR 3 nights included Thanksgiving's night only decent meal I got was from the last formal night when they serve a lobster tail and Thanksgiving's night was the worst meal since I went on the cruise. Anyway, there are other places on the cruise to dine like Solarium Bistro and Windjammer with no extra charge but I do miss my good old days great quality food in the MDR. I did find my new favorite though "Solarium Bistro" even though it not available on all class ship. I booked another cruise Symphony OTS for October 2019 and I just took advanced of Cyber Monday deal got $152/person for UDP so this will be my first time to pay for my dinner on the cruise I hope it worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2018 at 4:16 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I just grabbed the same deal for Symphony in July.  I thought $152 was a good price.  I will cancel it if I upgrade to a GS or above

@Lovetocruise2002 , just saw this post of yours, at the price point of $152 for the UDP why would you cancel if you upgrade to a GS or above? Just curious.

@stevendom57 , just saw this post so thought I would add my input, living in Oklahoma we are not shy about what we think real true Mexican is, with that said, I would not pay $30 PP to eat at a Sabor (Only on Freedom class and Voyager Class, O class are different completely and are not part of my reasoning), but if I pay for a 5 night or Ultimate DP Sabor is a restaurant I will eat at. This summer I took my 11 year old grandson on a cruise with us (Liberty OTS), he is a self proclaimed steak fanatic, I bought the 5 night package, assuming we would be eating at Chops most nights, but the 1st night we went to Sabor, long story short we ended up eating at Sabor 3 times that week because my Grandson liked it so much.

As far as our food quality or type, our waiter all week was from Mexico City, he told us that what we were eating was more like what he would eat in Mexico City verses what he might eat in Galveston or Houston, they have some dishes that are just ok, but they have some that are really good, short ribs in mole sauce is on of my favorites.

Food is subjective and everyone has their own thoughts, the last time we mentioned eating at Sabor above my 5 night package was out, so I asked one of the waiters I saw walking around that I would come back and eat again but he would have to discount the price, which he did by 30%.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Because then I would have full access to CK.

Dhhhh, it's been so long since I have been on a ship with a CK I forgot. We were on Allure last October, but it was such last minute cruise that the only thing available was a balcony room. All my cruises since then have been on a Freedom class, so no CK.

33 days to Star class on Allure and then I will remember again, last time we were in CK was 2016 when we were on Harmony in the Mediterranean in a JS, so it's been a while.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Hijacking the thread...

John...any word from your Genie yet?

Yes, the first contact at 8 weeks , but nothing since, 2 weeks would be around December 30th, the only thing I'm truly worried about is the cabana at Labadee, any of them are great, but would prefer one up front.

10 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Yes, the first contact at 8 weeks , but nothing since, 2 weeks would be around December 30th, the only thing I'm truly worried about is the cabana at Labadee, any of them are great, but would prefer one up front.

John, if your Genie has already contacted you and you have his /her email address, I would go ahead and contact him/her and let them know which cabana you want. Star Class gets first dibs on cabanas but you want to get your bid in as early as possible as it’s first come first served among the Star Class pax.

49 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

John, if your Genie has already contacted you and you have his /her email address, I would go ahead and contact him/her and let them know which cabana you want. Star Class gets first dibs on cabanas but you want to get your bid in as early as possible as it’s first come first served among the Star Class pax.

Thank you, I will tomorrow.

On 12/11/2018 at 8:18 PM, Gisser said:

We like Sabor for the Margaritas and the fresh Guacamole. The Guac was good and it's always a go-to for my wife and I. Have not been there for a full dinner.

While on Freedom while sitting in Piano Bar, i asked a member of Sabor staff who was there collecting something  if i could get the Guacamole and nachos to eat in Piano Bar as my wife wanted to try it,  was told it would be $15 if i wanted them, my wifes still waiting to try them lol