Ultimate Dinning vs 5 Night Dinning Package

Wilmsta

Hi all

7 night cruise on Oasis next December - just checking out dinning options and have noticed on the planner that the ultimate dinning package is only £1 more expensive than the 5 night package (yes £1! - £97 vs £96) .

Am I missing something? Is there a difference in what each entails (other than getting speciality food for all 7 nights and a couple of lunches on the ultimate?)

The other thing is we’re also in a suite so have access to Costal Kitchen - so I know this is probably a personal taste thing, but having never done speciality dinning or stayed in a suite before - is it worth getting a speciality dinning package when having access to CK?

Many thanks in advance 

No, you’re not missing anything. You have it right.  The UDP gives you all dinners and lunches on sea days and the 5 day is just 5 random dinners only.  The value of CK is a bit more esoteric. Some rave about the food at CK.  I think it’s just “ok”.  The big draw, for me, of CK, is it’s quiet and dignified tempo and the incredible views.  I don’t find the food to be that extraordinary with possible exception of the filet, which is only offered 1 night.  We have found the dining pkgs to be a better deal for us as we like the ability to choose different options.  People who love the CK will say that “free” trumps variety so you will have to do it once yourself and see which is the best option.

19 hours ago, twangster said:

The UDP is on sale today.  That's the first time I can recall seeing it on sale.  US Thanksgiving sale.  If you cancel it, don't assume you will get that same price next week.  Smart move to buy it now, if you change your mind you should be able to cancel it.

It’s gone up by £20 (approx $26) each over night - so glad I took the plunge ??

Just now, Wilmsta said:

Slight deviation on the topic - but do the prepaid tips cover the speciality restaurant packages as well? 

The price of the UDP (Dinning) is supposed to cover the gratuity, but depending on service I always give them a little extra, If I recieve a "Zero" bill to sign I add an additional $10 as a tip.

@twangster as a side note on the July 4 2019 Group cruise I paid the $216 PP $24 PD, on Thursday, for the UDP, this morning I checked and they had it listed for $162 PP or $18 PD, so I cancelled and re-booked.

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

The price of the UDP (Dinning) is supposed to cover the gratuity, but depending on service I always give them a little extra, If I recieve a "Zero" bill to sign I add an additional $10 as a tip.

@twangster as a side note on the July 4 2019 Group cruise I paid the $216 PP $24 PD, on Thursday, for the UDP, this morning I checked and they had it listed for $162 PP or $18 PD, so I cancelled and re-booked.

Nice!   I guess it's just Thanksgiving and Christmas when they don't offer dining packages.  

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

UDP newbie question for Symphony.  I grabbed it just now for $152pp (in case I cannot upgrade to Sky Class). 

Does the UDP on Symphony include Playmakers and Hooked? 

The fine print just said that it doesn't include Chef's Table and Izumi Hibachi.  Is the $35 food credit for Izumi still included?

Disclaimer!!! I am not an expert but it does say "For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $35 food credit.*" so I would think to include Izumi. I saw the same price for Symphony different sailing thought. I guess $152 pp is an OK price I think. I only have 2 sea days though for lunch.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I guess it's just Thanksgiving and Christmas when they don't offer dining packages.  

Depends on the ship and how many people have booked their “holiday special” events, I think.  Up until Friday, there were no dining pkgs at all for our upcoming Christmas/NY cruise on Grandeur. Suddenly it appeared and not only that, but they offered a discount on it the next day.  My guess is, the specialty dining upcharge events weren’t selling so they threw up the dining pkg to try and bolster specialty dining sales.

Truly, I was surprised to see it in the CP.  I assumed they would offer no dining plans for this double holiday sailing.

23 minutes ago, Susie said:

Does UDP include lunch on day 1 too or it is considered port day still?

Very ship dependent.  My experience has been that if a specialty restaurant is open on embark day, it will honor the UDP.  However, there are ships that do not have any specialty restaurants open on embark day so there is no opportunity to use the UDP.  So far, the Oasis class ships seem to have at least 1 specialty restaurant open and they have always honored my plan.

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

Very ship dependent.  My experience has been that if a specialty restaurant is open on embark day, it will honor the UDP.  However, there are ships that do not have any specialty restaurants open on embark day so there is no opportunity to use the UDP.  So far, the Oasis class ships seem to have at least 1 specialty restaurant open and they have always honored my plan.

Thanks for the info. LOL, that is my plan as well if at least one restaurant open. I got the UDP on upcoming Symphony OTS in October 2019. I know it almost a year before I can go. Just try to plan ahead. ?