Izumi $49.99 . . .

Baked Alaska

Navigator - UDP no longer mentions $35 or a la carte vs. cover charge.  Sample menu for Izumi has been updated.  No prices listed on it.

Izumi Sample Menu RCI Website PDF

UDP Verbiage

Prices are per person for the full sailing. All selections are subject to change. Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to verify eligibility upon arrival to the activity.  Specialty Dining Packages must be booked at least two days prior to boarding and may not be available for every sail date. One reservation will be automatically created for the first night of the sailing. All other reservations must be made onboard and are subject to availability. Packages include service charge and food portion only for dinner and, when available, lunch service. Package valid for one specialty dining restaurant per meal. Beverages not included. For Dining Packages, children ages 12 and under are excluded from offer; children ages 6-12 can be added to reservation for a $10 cover change once onboard. Not available on holiday sailings. Not valid for Chef's Table, Izumi Hibachi, or Culinary Experiences/Activities. Guests will receive 20% off when booking Chef's Table and/or any Culinary Experience/Activity onboard. Offer provides discount off wine selections at specialty dining restaurants with the purchase of a qualifying dining package. Offer provides 40% discount off bottles of wine priced at $100 or less; 20% discount off bottles of wine priced over $100. VAT will be added to the price where applicable. Offer valid only with the purchase of 3-night, 4-night, 5-night, or Ultimate Dining Packages; other Dining Packages excluded. Terms of Royal Caribbean’s Alcohol Policy apply, including a minimum drinking age, which varies by itinerary. Offer is not transferable, not redeemable for cash, and expires on the final night of the cruise. Terms of Dining Packages apply. Offer excludes charters.

Old Izumi Menu with a la carte pricing attached to this post

Old Izumi_Dinner_Sample.pdf

I’m also seeing $49.99 in my Cruise Planner for Anthem in October. That really stinks, IMO. Anthem’s Izumi has no hibachi option, and so many here have commented how the old $35 a la carte credit was more than enough to walk away feeling stuffed. I’m just having a hard time finding a rationale for this outside of either crowd control or (the cynic in me says more likely) a money grab.

One other thing that bothers me: Does this mean that lunch at Izumi is going away? There’s no option for Izumi lunch in the Cruise Planner like they offer for Chops and Jamie’s / Giovanni’s. I hope that’s nothing and it just means that there will still be an a la carte lunch option on sea days.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Score !

Hmmm not so sure about that after all. It says that this prix-fixe is a cruise planner exclusive, only available by purchase on the CP. Just not sure about this. . . I don't think you could use a dining package with this. I don't think they could change the verbiage on any of the dining packages purchased before these changes. I suspect the a la cart pricing is going up.  I wonder if this is an additional option at Izumi with the a la cart pricing/$35 on dining packages is still in effect:

Fixed price is per person, applies to select menu items and includes (1) miso soup, (1) choice of starter, (1) choice of signature roll or ramen, (5) pieces sashimi or nigiri, and (1) choice of dessert. Choices are limited to current menu offerings in the specific menu category listed. No substitutions allowed. No discount or refund will be given for unused courses. All other menu items may be purchased for an additional change.

Royal can always change the terms and conditions.  

Offer is subject to availability and change without notice and may be withdrawn at any time.

For $50 this doesn't sound like a very good deal:

Fixed price is per person, applies to select menu items and includes (1) miso soup, (1) choice of starter, (1) choice of signature roll or ramen, (5) pieces sashimi or nigiri, and (1) choice of dessert. Choices are limited to current menu offerings in the specific menu category listed. No substitutions allowed. No discount or refund will be given for unused courses. All other menu items may be purchased for an additional change.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Royal can always change the terms and conditions.  

Offer is subject to availability and change without notice and may be withdrawn at any time.

For $50 this doesn't sound like a very good deal:

To your point "for $50 this doesn't sound like a very good deal:" that's precisely the reason I'm thinking the a la cart pricing will be going up. Agreed, that's really not much for $50. 

The DX sushi combo if i remember had like 9 or 11 pieces of nigiri for i think like 19.00.  This 49.00 "deal" just seems like they are now exceeding a land based sushi place and thats without the "Value" of a dinner already factored into the cruise fare.

For what its worth, they didnt seem to update their MAIN site to reflect a Pre-Fixe only menu

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-dining/izumi

Not sure how come Izumi becomes the most expensive restaurant after Chef table (which there at least you get wine with the meal). Do not remember any time we went eat at Izumi and spent so much (100 $ for two).

I hope they will still have the  la carte option, anyway the 35 $ deal you got with the different packages  made much more sense .

On 11/22/2018 at 12:17 AM, twangster said:

So far I see this on all my bookings.  Oasis, Navigator, Vision, Brilliance, Ovation, Symphony.

It also appears Symphony's UDP is going up to $29 per night.  So far it's been $24 on most ships

547819264_UDP20.jpeg.0a721c5a764a83bf4f5ad3062fda7847.jpeg

it has also always been $29 on Harmony

31 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Simple.  Izumi is the most popular and profitable specialty restaurant that Royal has.

Make sense , the question will it continue to be like that ,  until now a couple could order two special roes (28 for the most expensive one  $) two starter  (15$) , soup (4$), 5 pieces sashimi  (19) ,  edamame for free , dessert (8)  total - 74 $ +/-  ...

Now , I took the most expensive choices , if someone will take the salad and the 11 $ role it will be much less .

37 minutes ago, marti314 said:

As quickly as this new Izumi 49.99 pre-fixe showed up, it disappeared from my cruise planner.  Wonder if they got some complaints or if it was a mistake or if its only gone from my sailing.

Now that you mention it, I went and looked in all of the CP for all of my upcoming cruises and there is no mention of Izumi at all for the ships that have Izumi !  There is currently no way to book any kind of Izumi reservation on any cruise I have.  Hmmmm......

Just now, Baked Alaska said:

WOW!!  @WAAAYTOOO and @marti314!! Yes, NO MENTION OF IZUMI ANY WHERE ON MY CP!! Okay, so now where does that put it in the Ultimate Dining Package? Izumi is the reason WHY I purchased the UDP for my family (during Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale). What in the world is going on with dining???? 

Izumi was never on the cruise planner except for Hibachi which i still see on mine.  

Maybe it was a mistake or they got blasted for the pricing of that pre-fixe.  As matt said its likely still ala carte and you will get your 35.00 as the UDP states.

Wow !  That was fun.  Didn't mean to cause a panic.  LOL

I guess I thought that Izumi was available for reservations pre-cruise.  Oops...  Does Anthem have the Hibachi option ?  It isn't showing Izumi for hibachi on either of my Anthem cruises.

If they were to offer Izumi at $49.99 and let it be all you can eat....then maybe it would be worth it (although I could never eat that much back when the package covered up to $50 PP) but if they are going to limit what you can get, it is definitely WAAAY overpriced.  I guess I will find out in a couple of weeks when we get on Grandeur.  We have the UDP and we will be going to Izumi quite a bit since our UDP does not include Chops or Giovanni's on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day or NYE.  Izumi is the only other option on Grandeur !

21 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Wow !  That was fun.  Didn't mean to cause a panic.  LOL

I guess I thought that Izumi was available for reservations pre-cruise.  Oops...  

It was. I actually had a reservation for it on our Radiance OTS sailing until I changed our dining to the ultimate dining package. This is been a crazy week on the cruise planner, for sure!

Edit: regular rezi for a la carte, not the $49.99

I dropped by Izumi to ask how it will work tomorrow for my UDP visit here on Oasis.  

I booked UDP during the Izumi $50 fixed price days with the UDP terms and conditions modified to remove any reference of cover charge.

I'll get a $35 credit like the old days.  

It's almost like the ship never heard of the fixed price thing and with it now absent from the cruise planner it makes me wonder if it was pulled quickly based on the immediate and inevitable feedback such a price point seemed to demand.  

At any rate, back to Izumi business as usual.  

34 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

I hate to be the party pooper, the bearer of bad news, the fly in the oinment, etc. . . BUT! It's back on my CP, the $49.99 "deal" - as of 11/28 1800 hrs.

Same. Still there on my Anthem cruise next October.

The weird thing for me is that I see all the individual restaurants, but not one package offer. No UDP, no BOGO, no 3/4/5-night packages.

57 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Same. Still there on my Anthem cruise next October.

The weird thing for me is that I see all the individual restaurants, but not one package offer. No UDP, no BOGO, no 3/4/5-night packages.

It's the opposite for me on my July Symphony sailing. All dining packages. No individual restaurant prices.

Only time will tell how this plays out.  I suspect that ships may continue to offer à la carte on board and the $50 offer is designed to catch new-to-cruise guests who don't know any better.  That's speculation on my part.  

I've got the UDP for my next several cruises courtesy of the Thanksgiving sale.  For my next cruise  in December I'm traveling with a sushi monster who will want to visit Izumi often.  If I'm wrong and they enforce the $50 menu we'll survive, just need to adapt and order in coordination with each other to maximize the desired items vs. defined categories.