Discounts are starting for Black Friday

Mathew Jones

They may not be advertising it but my Deluxe drink package dropped this morning for our sailing on Liberty of the Seas in May.  I just got it for $47 PP/PN.  It had been sitting at $50 PP/PN since we booked.  I also pulled the trigger on getting The Key for the trip.  We are newbies and are not in a suite so this might be a good option.  

They also dropped the Deluxe Drink Package with Voom Surf and Stream down to $55 PP/PN from %59 PP/PN.  Just an FYI to all.

Sailing Sunday on Anthem for 11 nights. Refreshment package remains the same at $26.   Deluxe quietly down to $45 (but have seen it as low as $42). Single stream Voom went up to $15.99. Hasn’t been that high in months. Has been pretty steady at $12.99 I believe. Haven’t been stalking but glancing as we got a great deal back in August for two devices for $18.99.?

So no Black Friday level sale prices that I’ve heard about on these boards yet though my expectations are low.

Pricing is all over.  

Oasis 11/25/18 - Refreshment $26/ Deluxe $48 / Voom S&S $14.39

Navigator 12/7/18 - Refreshment $15/Deluxe $45/Voom S&S $11.99

Vision 1/5/19 - Refreshment $17 / Deluxe $47/ Voom S&S $11.99 

Ovation in June 2019 Voom 3 device dropped to $24.99.  No other changes.  

Deluxe is more expensive on shorter cruises.  Seems like they factor drink fatigue into the deluxe price.  

July 4th Anthem Group cruise, deluxe $49, deluxe plus 1 voom S&S $59, 1 voom S&S $11.99, refreshment package $17.00.

I looked about 10am my time this morning (CT) and the refreshment package was still showing $26 with a 10% off onboard pricing sale banner.

Only looked at the Ultimate dinning package and it is the same as it has been for months.

For my Grandeur Christmas/NY cruise the deluxe drink package is down to $45 PP/PD. Previously the lowest I had seen is was $49 but most recently it had been going for $51.  I am seriously concerned that we will never be able to keep up the pace we would need for 12 days to make that package attractive, even at $45.  The gun remains cocked but no trigger pull yet.

I did, however, pull the trigger when I saw that they have FINALLY offered a dining package for this cruise !  I have had this cruise booked for the better part of 2 years and today was the first time they have offered any dining package.  They are offering a 3 day package and an Ultimate package.  I purchased the UDP for us at $288 PP which I think is an excellent value for a 12 night cruise, 6 of which are sea days (meaning there will be other dinner and lunch offered) AND which includes Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day.  The wording on the website specifically states that there are no exclusions for the dining pkgs so it looks like they will be good on all of the holidays.

My guess is that neither the drinks pkg nor the obscenely expensive holiday special events were selling well and they relented and offered the dining packages.  I can tell you that, with the exception of Izumi, the specialty restaurants here on NAV this week have been ghost towns since they offered no dining pkgs on this Thanksgiving Cruise.  Maybe Royal is rethinking the strategy of not offering pkgs on holiday cruises.  Let’s hope so.

I also just booked the ultimate dining package for our 12/23 Harmony 7 night cruise. $152pp, but specifically excludes Chops and 150CP on Christmas Eve and day. We booked it anyway because we already had 3 specialty nights booked at $122pp, so for $30 extra we get sea day lunches and 2 other dinners if we wish.

Oddly, I happened to check last night and it was $200pp. There was also 3, 4, and 5 night packages available (all gone this morning). 

For Anthem in October 2019, I’m seeing:

• Deluxe — $52
  • Refreshment — $17
  • VOOM 2-device — $18.99
  • No dining packages offered yet; sailing is probably too far off

I picked up VOOM and two Refreshment Packages to lock in those prices. If Deluxe comes down into the mid-40s I’ll cancel my Refreshment and switch.

19 hours ago, Mathew Jones said:

They may not be advertising it but my Deluxe drink package dropped this morning for our sailing on Liberty of the Seas in May.  I just got it for $47 PP/PN.  It had been sitting at $50 PP/PN since we booked.  I also pulled the trigger on getting The Key for the trip.  We are newbies and are not in a suite so this might be a good option.  

They also dropped the Deluxe Drink Package with Voom Surf and Stream down to $55 PP/PN from %59 PP/PN.  Just an FYI to all.

Been a while but what is The Key?

2 hours ago, twangster said:

UDP (Dining) is normally $24 per day.  Today it's $18 per day on a dozen bookings.  All but Harmony and Symphony where it's ~$22 per day.

Not seeing any change in DX or Voom from yesterday.  

As of yet I have not seen the UDP go down on the July 4th Anthem group cruise (9 night), it is still listed as $216/PP, so $24 per night.

From having MEI (Shout out to @michelle ) check pricing on this cruise, it has become a very popular cruise, every BOGO MEI has checked the pricing has only gone up, so maybe $24 per night is the best I'm going to get.

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

As of yet I have not seen the UDP go down on the July 4th Anthem group cruise (9 night), it is still listed as $216/PP, so $24 per night.

From having MEI (Shout out to @michelle ) check pricing on this cruise, it has become a very popular cruise, every BOGO MEI has checked the pricing has only gone up, so maybe $24 per night is the best I'm going to get.

I *think* July 4th is considered a holiday cruise by Royal.  Thanksgiving and Christmas cruises see no sale prices on beverage packages or Voom and no dining packages at all.  Just be lucky they have the UDP at all for this "holiday" cruise.

I’m not sure if this is Black Friday related or more random but just logged into cruise planner for our 12 Night Brilliance of the Sea cruise next June and the price of the refreshment package had dropped significantly - it’s never been lower than £20.50GBP (about $26) and today it’s £13.50GBP (about $17USD). Hope that helps someone else! 

Discounts also available on the other packages...

1 hour ago, chrissylee19 said:

Hi, I thought both people had to purchase the deluxe if one person did?

Welcome to the message boards!

There are exceptions to the policy that requires all guests over 21 in cabin to purchase the deluxe package if one guest does. 

You have to call and if you qualify they will require the other non-drinking guest in your cabin over 21 to purchase the refreshment package.

I recommend everyone keep a very close eye on the prices they are paying today with these BLACK FRIDAY sale banners.  

Looks like Royal created artificial inflated prices to lower them for this sale.  Example on my cruise planner the ultimate dining package is 152  and it says this is 25% off per guest.  

Normal price has always been 168 so if their math is correct the normal price they set today just to discount is 190 per person.

Same thing with the Deluxe Beverage package being b1g1 50% they created an artificial price to put this sale on.  

2 hours ago, marti314 said:

I recommend everyone keep a very close eye on the prices they are paying today with these BLACK FRIDAY sale banners.  

Looks like Royal created artificial inflated prices to lower them for this sale.  Example on my cruise planner the ultimate dining package is 152  and it says this is 25% off per guest.  

Normal price has always been 168 so if their math is correct the normal price they set today just to discount is 190 per person.

Same thing with the Deluxe Beverage package being b1g1 50% they created an artificial price to put this sale on.  

Let me guess.  Harmony or Symphony?  Normal price of UDP is $29 per day.  Other ships are $24 per day.

I bought it for 7 sailing.  All 25% off.  No artificial raising of prices.

Same with BOGO drink packages.  However in that case the BOGO ends up at what is frequently available pre-cruise.  No prices artificially increased, such a different sale.  The BOGO is not discounted from the last sale price, it's a BOGO from onboard prices.  Always has been.  The price displayed includes the discount.  

1460961143_DeluxeBOGO2018.jpeg.1d1d21d287d490bb565a0b7d5ac207a4.jpeg

Drink packages have always varied ship to ship and by cruise length.  My price on a 9 night cruise is not the same as 5 night cruise on the same ship.  There is no standard drink package price, never has been.

2 hours ago, marti314 said:

B1G1 50% off is exactly what "is advertised" for Oasis OTS March 3. However, it's not a DEAL at all. It's still $364 pp. Same as it has been. Ugh!!

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

Let me guess.  Harmony or Symphony?  Normal price of UDP is $29 per day.  Other ships are $24 per day.

Same with BOGO drink packages.  However in that case the BOGO ends up at what is frequently available pre-cruise.  No prices artificially increased, such a different sale.  The BOGO is not discounted from the last sale price, it's a BOGO from onboard prices.  Always has been.  The price displayed includes the discount.  

Drink packages have always varied ship to ship and by cruise length.  My price on a 9 night cruise is not the same as 5 night cruise on the same ship.  There is no standard drink package price, never has been.

The normal price of the UDP on allure has been 168 for the last few months.  Today it is 152 advertising "Prices reflect 25% off discount".  25% off puts the price at 190 per week which is far more than it has been without a "sale".  

I also see other things in my cruise planner that have been raised just to be artificially lowered.  I guess for people who track this they notice, for those that do not B1G1 50% off sounds like a steal.

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

if it is for the onboard pricing, it doesn't state that. and it usually does.

it shows this sale, but the price on cruise planner for my cruise was the same before the sale. Soo confusing! why doesn't it say onboard pricing then.

so there is no black friday sale for the deluxe package pre-cruise pricing?

Just now, marti314 said:

The normal price of the UDP on allure has been 168 for the last few months.  Today it is 152 advertising "Prices reflect 25% off discount".  25% off puts the price at 190 per week which is far more than it has been without a "sale".  

I also see other things in my cruise planner that have been raised just to be artificially lowered.  I guess for people who track this they notice, for those that do not B1G1 50% off sounds like a steal.

ya i have been checking every other day or so for deals and there is definitely no deals for pre-cruise pricing ? 

Related but dumb question: I will probably buy the deluxe drink package with 1 VOOM for my cruise. It is listed at 55 USD. Just the deluxe drink package is 45 USD. So does that mean I will pay 45 plus 18% gratuity/per night and 10 for the internet/per night? The cruise planner is down right now so can't try to put in my shopping cart.