Three Night Dining Package

Al Horner

We will be on the Symphony OTS in May 2019. The specialty dining packages just became available on my Cruise Planner. I was looking at the Three Night Dining Package but it is listed as $95 per person. That's roughly $32 per meal which seems pretty high to me. Anyone know what specialty dining typically costs now? Maybe the price will go down on Black Friday.

Not going on Symphony, but on Adventure in July.  A few weeks back I picked up the 3 night for 60, now it is at 75.  Like CruisinUngs if I wanted just Chops it would be 42 for one time dinner or 22 for lunch.  I would suggest you hover on the RCCL site daily planner and pounce if you see the price goes lower on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.  Off topic, but I would also say watch the cabana sales.  We are going to Coco Cay.  Knowing they are limited in numbers I booked it the same day as I booked the cruise for 449.  I have seen it go all over the place depending on the day.  Everywhere from 499 to 649 to 849 and even 1249.  

The day I saw it 1249 I said to my Hubby I just saved us 800 books, and his response was HOW?  My guess is that they probably had 1 cabana left and somebody was going to be willing to purchase it and rebook it later.  No way in Hades would I be willing to pay that cost, nor at 849.   649 would have been on the fence decision.  Not to go off more topic, but my regret is not booking my spa day at the same time.  

Coco Cay Chill Island has only 14 cabanas, or so I have been told.  They are all beach front.  You take a golf cart to get there.  They are thatched roof with sofas/chairs and usb connections to play your own music..  They come with lounge chairs by the cabana too.  From what the site says, they also include your own attendant for the day, private bar and grill, plus a cooler filled with water and of course towels.  You can still use the bars that are on the island or go to the buffet for lunch.  It is in a more secluded area.  Depending on how many ships will be docked that day, it can be crowded.  1st time we went to Coco Cay back in 2016, Enchantment and Empress were there.  Enchantment arrived 1st.  Pick of loungers...sun or shade, by the water or closer to the bar areas.  By Noon, well it was slim pickings.

My SIL is very fair skin, she needs shade.  My Hubby and I like the idea of the seclusion and comfy sofas to lounge on during the day.  We have done the excursions --- swimming with dolphins and sting rays,  para sailing.  This for us is the big splurge.  

The pier was not there yet, so everyone had to tender.  Hence, getting back to the ship for lunch, which makes no sense since they offer a nice buffet, and going back to the island would eat up too much time.  I do not know what it will be like with the pier, but again, there are bars all over the place.  Lunch will be set up for X amt of time.  FWIW, go to the WJ in the a.m. and get some goodies to go when you take your beach bag.  IE fruit, muffins to hold you over.  Or go the night before and get some cookies or deli meats, just place in your mini fridge aka cooler.  Whatever strikes your fancy.  

Back on topic.  I am someone that is also a proponent for the MDR.  Here's why.  They have an amazing menu, and if you are there every night, the wait staff will still want to make you happy.  IE, I love the wedge salad, our waiter knew this, and offered me that option even if it wasn't on the menu.  I never had a bad meal in the MDR.  Only doing it this time bc we are in a group and my SIL wants to do specialty.  Our TA gave us 100 OBC, so I will use it to appease the group we are traveling with.  Did Anthem last yr with a group of 10.  We ate every night in the MDR.  Not one bad meal or service.  I think bc we did eat every night compared to those that popped in for dinner since they purchased a 3 or 4 night, we probably had a better meal.   The wait staff knew us, and were ready for our unique desires.  1 member only ate fish, 1 member only drank Bud Light, I have a stomach of a hummingbird, so they would make a plate to take back to our room.  We also enjoyed the cruise more bc the table next to us also was there every night...we became family with strangers.   You don't have that impo if 1/2 of the time you are going to specialty restaurants.  I also have to say, my hubby and I are foodies, we have no problem dropping 200 for the 2 of us on a great meal, not including drinks.  I just don't feel the need to do it on a cruise unless it is Chef's table or Mystery dinner.  I would rather spend my money on a hot stone massage at the spa on a sea day.   No offense to anyone, that is just my opinion from someone with a limited budget.

As I understand it, for a 3 n pkg., RCL "courtesy books" you first specialty restaurant and then you have to wait until you're onboard to make the rest of your reservations? This sounds like it could be a stressful endeavor on boarding day! Is this true. Sorry for mentioning another cruise line but, on NCL I can buy a dining package and book all my restaurants before i cruise. 

I would like to get all of my planning done before boarding. Shows and dinning could easily conflict if I schedule show but have to wait to book dinning. Arrrrrg!

Yes, this is generally true however, if you are in a full suite, you can probably get your Concierge to book your specialty dining reservations for you before you board, even if they are from a dining package.  I have had good luck with this twice, recently, and even had our Concierge book our C&A BOGO reservations before boarding.  If you aren’t in a full suite though, you will have to wait until you board.  It’s really not that big an imposition.