10 day Hawaii

P.A.

Hello all!! I am new to this forum. Seriously thinking about booking the 10 day cruise Vancouver to Hawaii on Ovation of the Seas. We've never been to Hawaii and it is on my bucket list. It's reasonable enough but was wondering about it not having very many port stops. Will I be disappointed going all that way to not have visited more ports in Hawaii? Visiting ports...Seattle, Napali cruising, 2 days in Maui-8am to 4pm next day, 4 cruise days then Kailua Kona then Honolulu is where you arrive and disembark.

We just got off the Anthem of the Seas in Oct. LOVED that ship! Hoping this is just as good. I was pleasantly surprised how good the food was. Had taken a previous cruise to Alaska on Serenade of the Seas and Explorer of the Seas and was SO disappointed in the food and the ships. But the Anthem was great! So much to do onboard.

If you've taken this particular cruise before, I would love to hear your thoughts on it. Thank you in advance. ?

1 hour ago, P.A. said:

Hello all!! I am new to this forum. Seriously thinking about booking the 10 day cruise Vancouver to Hawaii on Ovation of the Seas. We've never been to Hawaii and it is on my bucket list. It's reasonable enough but was wondering about it not having very many port stops. Will I be disappointed going all that way to not have visited more ports in Hawaii? Visiting ports...Seattle, Napali cruising, 2 days in Maui-8am to 4pm next day, 4 cruise days then Kailua Kona then Honolulu is where you arrive and disembark.

We just got off the Anthem of the Seas in Oct. LOVED that ship! Hoping this is just as good. I was pleasantly surprised how good the food was. Had taken a previous cruise to Alaska on Serenade of the Seas and Explorer of the Seas and was SO disappointed in the food and the ships. But the Anthem was great! So much to do onboard.

If you've taken this particular cruise before, I would love to hear your thoughts on it. Thank you in advance. ?

It sounds like a repositioning cruise.  They are generally in April and October as the ships reposition seasonally.  We did one a few years ago on Carnival.  They are generally a good value, and we did note a few things not timed out perfectly by the cruise line... I think due to the fact they don't do these cruises every week.  We would do one again in a second it the opportunity arose.

3 hours ago, RCVoyager said:

It sounds like a repositioning cruise.  They are generally in April and October as the ships reposition seasonally.  We did one a few years ago on Carnival.  They are generally a good value, and we did note a few things not timed out perfectly by the cruise line... I think due to the fact they don't do these cruises every week.  We would do one again in a second it the opportunity arose.

It is a repositioning cruise, I researched it in depth last year but the dates didn't match up. It will go to Vancouver to Hawaii and then Hawaii to it's normal home port in Asia. So it only does this twice a year, once east bound to Alaska and then later back west bound back to it's Asia home port. .

16 hours ago, tiny260 said:

It is a repositioning cruise, I researched it in depth last year but the dates didn't match up. It will go to Vancouver to Hawaii and then Hawaii to it's normal home port in Asia. So it only does this twice a year, once east bound to Alaska and then later back west bound back to it's Asia home port. .

16 hours ago, tiny260 said:

Hey Tiny.  I'm always interested in what happened to the old ships I have been on, and I look at cruise history in the profile of other posters on the forum.  The old NCL Seaward is alive and well and still serving her owners.  She is now the SuperStar Libra sailing for Star Cruises.  Pretty cool. 

Ok, no one throw tomatoes.... but DH is from HI and most of his maternal family remains there - it is my opinion is (and always has been) that Hawaii is not a place ideal for cruising.  There Is far too much to see, and far too many important things to see such as Pearl Harbor, that are spread across the islands (and even a single island, like Oahu) to have any worthwhile visit over even multiple days from a cruise ship.  I love cruising, but there are places that I believe don’t lend themselves well  to that type of travel. The first time we went to Oahu, we were there 2 weeks and we were busy every day.

Any military retiree and active duty military can use the beautiful Hale Koa property in Waikiki (there is a charge, but it is far less than you would find st the Hilton next door). We love it there!

ok, back to cruising ?❤️

Lynn 

And welcome to the forum P.A. ?

1 hour ago, 2Beeze said:

Ok, no one throw tomatoes.... but DH is from HI and most of his maternal family remains there - it is my opinion is (and always has been) that Hawaii is not a place ideal for cruising.  There Is far too much to see, and far too many important things to see such as Pearl Harbor, that are spread across the islands (and even a single island, like Oahu) to have any worthwhile visit over even multiple days from a cruise ship.  I love cruising, but there are places that I believe don’t lend themselves well  to that type of travel. The first time we went to Oahu, we were there 2 weeks and we were busy every day.

Any military retiree and active duty military can use the beautiful Hale Koa property in Waikiki (there is a charge, but it is far less than you would find st the Hilton next door). We love it there!

ok, back to cruising ?❤️

Lynn 

And welcome to the forum P.A. ?

I agree with this.  We had a great time, but we felt rushed almost every day.  At that time, in order to get to Pearl Harbor, we had a book an all day tour through Carnival.  Pearl Harbor was awesome, but the rest of the tour was not so great.  If we did it again, we would book the tour again so we could see Pearl Harbor, but then grab a cab at the end of Pearl Harbor and skip the bus and the rest of the tour.

1 hour ago, 2Beeze said:

it is my opinion is (and always has been) that Hawaii is not a place ideal for cruising.  There Is far too much to see, and far too many important things to see such as Pearl Harbor, that are spread across the islands (and even a single island, like Oahu) to have any worthwhile visit over even multiple days from a cruise ship.

I would also agree with this. My wife and I went to HI for our honeymoon, spent 12 days there -- 2 on Oahu, 5 each on Kaua'i and Maui. Oahu was definitely a little rushed, only got to see the Polynesian Cultural Center -- a full-day activity all its own and totally worth it -- and go horseback riding around Turtle Bay. We had planned to see Pearl Harbor on the way to the airport for our transfer to Kaua'i; but as we were checking out of our hotel, the manager at the front desk told us no uncertain terms that if we did that, our rental car would have the trunk popped and our luggage would be stolen as soon as we went inside. ? 

The other islands all had a bunch of places we wanted to visit, even with everything we did and with 5 full days on each. A cruise to the islands would feel way too rushed, IMO.

We took the 7 day Pride of America out of Honolulu.  This was the best way for us to see as much of Hawaii as possible by cruise.

There are no sea days.  You are at Hawaii every single day.  The ship is ok but who cares you are off it every day seeing Hawaii.

Alternatively, if you are loyal to Royal,  I would book a post cruise stay in Oahu for at least 3 days.

6 hours ago, RCVoyager said:

Hey Tiny.  I'm always interested in what happened to the old ships I have been on, and I look at cruise history in the profile of other posters on the forum.  The old NCL Seaward is alive and well and still serving her owners.  She is now the SuperStar Libra sailing for Star Cruises.  Pretty cool. 

Yea, those were my first 2 cruises, it is what got me hooked on crusing.

On 11/19/2018 at 10:13 AM, JLMoran said:

I would also agree with this. My wife and I went to HI for our honeymoon, spent 12 days there -- 2 on Oahu, 5 each on Kaua'i and Maui. Oahu was definitely a little rushed, only got to see the Polynesian Cultural Center -- a full-day activity all its own and totally worth it -- and go horseback riding around Turtle Bay. We had planned to see Pearl Harbor on the way to the airport for our transfer to Kaua'i; but as we were checking out of our hotel, the manager at the front desk told us no uncertain terms that if we did that, our rental car would have the trunk popped and our luggage would be stolen as soon as we went inside. ? 

The other islands all had a bunch of places we wanted to visit, even with everything we did and with 5 full days on each. A cruise to the islands would feel way too rushed, IMO.

@JLMoran And @RCVoyager I will say the native Hawaiians have a low level of trust regarding outsiders  and a percentage are still fairly angry over how HI became a state and the horrible treatment levied against their last queen (justified, but I think it’s time to move on and let history be history IMHO). All that said, they are fun loving people (just quite poor as so many indigenous people have ended up and not entirely of their own doing). Not making a political statement, just adding context since most or all of the areas considered unsafe are  those with large percentages of native Hawaiians. But, I am very European looking (no one will mistake me for Hawaiian LOL) and I have never felt frightened in those areas because I know Hawaiians are fun-loving, non-critical, easy-going people. They have their own ways, but they are genuinely loving people; plus, I have never been treated with more respect by nieces and nephews than when I am there and I was raised in the South US where respect for elders is highly valued. They have very little, but what they gave they will share with you

I hope that you will go back some day. And hey, if you need to experience some real  Aloha, just me know and I can set you up with the real deal! Just avoid the poi ??‍♀️??‍♀️?

P.S. for me Pearl Harbor was a must see..12+ uncles, my father-in-law and father served in WWII. My father was on Omaha Beach on DDay and the Battle of the Bulge. I could not help but cry some for all those young people, all that was lost, all that was saved, and all those lives effected. 

4 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

@JLMoran And @RCVoyager I will say the native Hawaiians have a low level of trust regarding outsiders  and a percentage are still fairly angry over how HI became a state and the horrible treatment levied against their last queen (justified, but I think it’s time to move on and let history be history IMHO). All that said, they are fun loving people (just quite poor as so many indigenous people have ended up and not entirely of their own doing). Not making a political statement, just adding context since most or all of the areas considered unsafe are  those with large percentages of native Hawaiians. But, I am very European looking (no one will mistake me for Hawaiian LOL) and I have never felt frightened in those areas because I know Hawaiians are fun-loving, non-critical, easy-going people. They have their own ways, but they are genuinely loving people; plus, I have never been treated with more respect by nieces and nephews than when I am there and I was raised in the South US where respect for elders is highly valued. They have very little, but what they gave they will share with you

I hope that you will go back some day. And hey, if you need to experience some real  Aloha, just me know and I can set you up with the real deal! Just avoid the poi ??‍♀️??‍♀️?

P.S. for me Pearl Harbor was a must see..12+ uncles, my father-in-law and father served in WWII. My father was on Omaha Beach on DDay and the Battle of the Bulge. I could not help but cry some for all those young people, all that was lost, all that was saved, and all those lives effected. 

Hi Breezy.  I have no problem with Hawaii.  If do prefer the Caribbean.  My comment about the long tour was exactly that.  I was a poor tour.  Too much time on the bus.  It had nothing to do with the beautiful state.

8 hours ago, RCVoyager said:

Hi Breezy.  I have no problem with Hawaii.  If do prefer the Caribbean.  My comment about the long tour was exactly that.  I was a poor tour.  Too much time on the bus.  It had nothing to do with the beautiful state.

I agree with this, I've been to Hawaii twice, loved it both times, would not hesitate to go again, but when I look at flight prices form where I live, I can be in the Caribbean in 3-4 hours where as it takes me 10+ hours to get to Oahu, I know, everything beautiful is worth the wait, I will be in Hawaii again some day...

13 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

Oh, I know that overall there's very little to be worried about. But that hotel manager was so insistent with us not to leave our luggage in the car while visiting the memorial that we didn't want to chance it. He gave us quite a story of how there is always a group of locals watching out for rental cars in the parking lot, and how they all carried "slim jims" to pop the truck and steal all the luggage and belongings without the renter being aware it had happened. It was only day 3 of our honeymoon, we were newlyweds, mid-20s, and not yet experienced enough in life to feel like we could consider ignoring the person.

That was the only negative experience of our two weeks there. Everything else was absolutely wonderful (well, except for being terrified while biking the whole way down Mount Haleakala!), and we couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon.

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Oh, I know that overall there's very little to be worried about. But that hotel manager was so insistent with us not to leave our luggage in the car while visiting the memorial that we didn't want to chance it. He gave us quite a story of how there is always a group of locals watching out for rental cars in the parking lot, and how they all carried "slim jims" to pop the truck and steal all the luggage and belongings without the renter being aware it had happened. It was only day 3 of our honeymoon, we were newlyweds, mid-20s, and not yet experienced enough in life to feel like we could consider ignoring the person.

That was the only negative experience of our two weeks there. Everything else was absolutely wonderful (well, except for being terrified while biking the whole way down Mount Haleakala!), and we couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon.

Joe I sent you a private msg.

17 hours ago, RCVoyager said:

It was a dual statement, I didn’t assume either of you had any problem with HI.