Camera setting Emergency help !!!!!!

Susie

Hi guys,

My cruise is tomorrow and I still not pack and still have to work today.

I will try to explain shortly what I can. I just got a new camera Sony a6000 Mirrorless. It is an upgrade from what I normally use Nikon Coolpix which not much setting need. The camera itself has great reviews, however, I will need to know how to set it. No matter what how great cameras are if I do not know how to use it then pointless. Anyhow, I need a shortcut to help from everyone here that know how to set the camera. I think the basic of setting still be similar even though not the same brand. I do not have time to read a user manual because a lot of work had to be done. I own an online handmade gift shop and this is the busiest time. My cruise is tomorrow on Anthem OTS and not even pack yet, probably will pack tonight. I got no choice only can go during the holiday and summer because of my son school schedule. I try to do everything from taking care of my son, cooking, cleaning and run a business but it is hard. Anyway, I need help. My question is below.

How to set the camera for 

- low light setting (indoor)

- landscape setting (outdoor) 

- moving object setting (wildlife or kids playing.)

- portrait setting

- performance setting ( show on the cruise)

A safe place to start with any camera you don't know is to use "Auto".  On most Sony cameras there is a dial on the top right of the camera that rotates.  One choice should be "Auto" in green.  

For low light situations the camera will automatically adjust the ISO but in extreme circumstances that will create a lot of noise or grain in pictures.  The camera will try to remove some of this when it creates the JPEG file but sometimes you need to use software to further reduce the noise in low light photos.  You'll have to experiment and try different settings. 

For action photography such as the ice skating show you will want to use Shutter mode with shutter speeds of 1/200 or higher, such as 1/400 to capture people who are moving.  

The camera should have 'Scene' mode using that same dial that has Auto on it.  Once in scene mode you can choose a particular scene such as 'sunset', 'landscape', 'night scene', 'portrait' , etc.

With any new camera you will need to experiment and try different settings in different situations.   You learn just as much from screwing up and not getting a perfect shot as you from picking the settings and getting it right.  Take lots of pictures and learn what works and what doesn't by trial and error.

Yep, but fortunately the "auto" mode is generally a safe place to allow the camera to figure it out while you get used to it.  As you use it more and learn it better you can start taking over and digging into the settings more.

I consider the 'auto' mode to be "drink package compatible" meaning when you don't want to think about ISO and f-stop and shutter speed just put it in auto and enjoy your drink(s)!