The Key

Mathew Jones

I had commented this on Matt's post, "My wife and I are going to be on Liberty of the Seas in May. They are offering this on our sailing. So right now they are offering Voom Surf & Stream one device and the deluxe drink package for $59 per person/per day. The deluxe drink package alone is $50 per person/per day. Since I am getting the drink package for my wife and I the Voom package is only valued at $9 per person/per day. So the Voom is valued at $126. A Chops Grille lunch can be purchased for $21.99 per person on my Cruise Planner. So that is valued at $43.98. So those two items are a total value of $169.98. The cost of The Key in total is $349.86. So is carry on drop off service, private access to the attractions, priority tendering, and VIP seating worth $179.88? I will pass for now and wait to see if the price drops a bit. If I miss out from it selling out I won't be too disappointed."  

Today I saw that they had dropped the price to $19.95 per person per day for our sailing.  Not sure if the price is right to pull the trigger.  The cost in total is now $279.86 for the two of us.  So the $109.98 is still on the steep side for me.  I am personally hoping for a BOGO on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.  If they do that I will definitely pull the trigger.  What are everyone elses thoughts.

Not worth it to me.  Although, being Diamond Plus, we typically get 2, 2 day internet passes (depending on the sailing, sometimes it's just 2, 1 day internet passes),  and then several free drinks in the evening.  The things that I carry on, are things I think I might need during the day, so dropping them off isn't really a value to me.  I can carry my backpack and diaper bag around the ship for 2-3 hours.

@Mathew Jones where does this show up for you on the cruise planner? I’m trying to figure out if it’s available for my cruise I have next May.This is something that has seriously piqued my interest because I’m a lowly Gold member. I was actually surprised to hear so many people talk about how they have no interest in it. 

ETA: I just found Matt’s article about it again and realized it’s only for Liberty and Oasis for now. Boo for me. But I’d still love to know where it’s showing up so I can stalk that section in case they widen release. 

I think I agree with your math.  That isn't worth it to me.  All I would really use is the priority seating at shows and I don't mind getting there a bit early as I don't need the best seats.  

Now $50 for the drink package is pretty good and I would purchase now and cancel and rebuy if it goes lower over Black Friday.

• 4 weeks later...

I was poking around the cruise planner for my Allure May 2019 trip and noticed that RCI is now offering The Key for this sailing, so maybe they are expanding the program.

Seeing as how we are all gold members staying in a JS, this is a great way for us to get close to full suite benefits for much cheaper. Especially since we are 3 adults who had already decided that we wanted to do lunch at Chops and that we were going to all have internet access. I'm snagging it at the full price for now ($25 pp per day) but made sure to confirm in the fine print that this is also something I can reprice if it goes on sale (it is). This has currently made my day and I think I will save it as a surprise treat for my parents who I'm going with! 

Here is a random tip that can save you another $70 if you don't need two internet packages...

If you call Royal Caribbean you can book 1 surf and stream package and then 1 regular drink package. It won't allow you to do this online but they will do it for you no questions asked over the phone. My wife and I usually share an internet package because we only want it to keep track of what is going on at home and we can always log in or out when the other person wants to use it. 

I think this is going to be a popular program.  The inclusion of Voom makes it very attractive and you get a few of the most popular suites amenities, too.  I read somewhere that the O class ships were going to offer Giovanni's/Jaimie's for lunch on embark day in addition to Chops, b/c Chops would be exclusively for the Key folks.  I think that's wonderful. As long as I still have somewhere to go on embark day (either with the dining package or as a Star Class guest), I'm happy !

I am in a Grand Suite for my first sailing with RC on the Adventure of the Seas.  It looks like the added benefit to the suite perks, is baggage checkin, and priority for Flowrider, and other things on board.  The addition of Voom, for 3 devices and Chops Lunch.  Right now it is $25 pp, and so with 3 people it is $600.  At this point, not worth it. 

However, if it goes down in price, I may consider it.

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I think this is going to be a popular program.  The inclusion of Voom makes it very attractive

Ok.....let's sort this part out. True Voom is only available in Oasis & Quantum Class ships which would make this attractive. Any other ships will remain under old internet speeds, not as attractive. RCCL states that all of their ships have VOOM which is misleading and this was brought to their attention.

Just now, princevaliantus said:

Ok.....let's sort this part out. True Voom is only available in Oasis & Quantum Class ships which would make this attractive. Any other ships will remain under old internet speeds, not as attractive. RCCL states that all of their ships have VOOM which is misleading and this was brought to their attention.

True statement that not all Voom's are equal.  But if you are getting the internet (regardless of its functionality), you're getting the internet.  I should have said "internet" instead of "Voom".  

The Key is being offered on all of my sailings except for my upcoming Grandeur Christmas/NY sailing.  That's 2 Anthem sailings in Feb 2019, 1 Freedom sailing in April 2019 and 1 Grandeur sailing in Sept. 2019.  It isn't showing up for my Feb 2020 Anthem sailing but I suspect that they are not posting that yet as none of the beverage or food packages are available for that sailing yet either.

In all cases, The Key is being offered at $24.99/PP.  Since it is being offered on Grandeur in Sept. of next year, I am assuming that it will be fleet-wide by then.  Grandeur is always near the last to get anything new.

We're going on the Harmony in April 19. We already had internet for two so it was worth canceling and upgrading for the added cost. 

One thing I read was it states reserved priority seating with no reservations required. I believe I'm reading this correctly. Everything I've found posted stated reservations we're still required. Maybe they changed it, but if this is true that is a huge benefit not having to plan out shows and go more "on the fly"

Screenshot_20181211-214802.png

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

No, because to quote @twangster, the single benefit that is shared with suites and Diamond Plus or higher is the seating at shows. No other feature of The Key is offered to any one else. 

• Priority disembarkation on select ships and ports and tender service ship to shore...Not that it matters because Shore Excursions take priority over all.

I have been lucky to be a lurker on the cruise planner.  I was a little up in the air about the value of The Key.  I think that I made the right call.  I was able to get The Key at $19.99 PP/PN.  I also got the Deluxe Beverage Package at $47 PP/PN.  On Black Friday they had the Deluxe Beverage Package with Voom for $55 PP/PN but that is back up to $59 PP/PN.  I am still lurking the Cruise Planner but more to help my Brother-in-Law since he just book the same cruise as us. 

So The Key has shown up for our 3-night to the Bahamas on Enchantment in March for 24.99 pp/per night or ~$150for my wife and I. I have Voom for 1 to share for $36 so is The Key worth the $114? Chops Lunch is currently $22 so another $44 from $114 is $70 net for both to have Voom (instead of sharing 1), priority boarding, seats for shows, debarkation breakfast, etc.  Might just be worth it....

25 minutes ago, KJ1231 said:

So The Key has shown up for our 3-night to the Bahamas on Enchantment in March for 24.99 pp/per night or ~$150for my wife and I. I have Voom for 1 to share for $36 so is The Key worth the $114? Chops Lunch is currently $22 so another $44 from $114 is $70 net for both to have Voom (instead of sharing 1), priority boarding, seats for shows, debarkation breakfast, etc.  Might just be worth it....

Maybe It Is Worth The Money.

On 12/12/2018 at 8:31 AM, KJ1231 said:

I would totally do it for that. My problem is I have a 9-night sailing.  Now if it was more than just embarkation day lunch, maybe another day or two, then I would be all for it.. I just don't think it makes much sense for a longer sailing

11 minutes ago, Thetechie said:

I would totally do it for that. My problem is I have a 9-night sailing.  Now if it was more than just embarkation day lunch, maybe another day or two, then I would be all for it.. I just don't think it makes much sense for a longer sailing

Totally agree on this one. It is available for our Anthem group cruise. It's a 9 night sailing. Just for two, it's almost $500. Not worth it.

Questions on this key. Just a background, we are Diamond members

Introducing The Key, your premier entry to exclusive and special amenities during your vacation. Start your cruise worry-free with priority check-in and boarding. Once onboard, you’ll have the benefit of a personal drop-off service that delivers your carry-on bags directly to your stateroom

Follow it up with an exclusive welcome lunch at Chops Grille® when you arrive.

Fit more into your vacation than ever before with private hours per day at onboard activities, including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more.

Start your day off right with priority port of call debarkation. Then score the best seats in the house for our onboard shows. Share it all in real time with VOOM® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet package. End your adventure at your own pace with an exclusive a la carte breakfast and choice debarkation.

Summary of your benefits: 
• Priority check-in and boarding. Upon your arrival at the terminal, follow The Key check-in signage to your designated waiting area. 

We are Diamond members so we got priority check-in.
• Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off located in main theater onboard and available until 1:30pm. Up to 2 carry-on bags per guest. 

For personal drop-off I think we can take our carry on to the Diamond lounge if it open. My question is.  Does the diamond lounge open on embarkation day?
• Exclusive embarkation lunch at Chops Grille® - seating from 11:30am – 1:30pm. 

We paid for UDP. My question is. Do we can get lunch at Chop Grille and include with our UPD package on embarkation day?
• Private hours at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more. The private hours schedule will be provided at check-in. 

Will be the benefit of the key
• Priority port of call debarkation. 

• Reserved priority seating at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater and Studio B. No reservations required pre-cruise or onboard. 

• VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high-speed internet. 

• Choice debarkation with exclusive A La Carte breakfast from 6:30 am – 9:00 am.

Not sure about this benefit because it is a La Carte 

* When you receive your SeaPass card, it will have an icon confirming your purchase of The Key. The Key must be purchased prior to sailing by each guest age 6 or older assigned to the same stateroom.

Additional Terms & Conditions apply.

PRICES STARTING FROM*$24.99 USD Adult per day

From I see "the key" is The suite benefit and higher member benefit. Basically, you paid for suite benefit without staying in the suite or being a Diamond member and up.

1 hour ago, Susie said:

From I see "the key" is The suite benefit and higher member benefit

Not entirely. They key doesn’t get you access to the Suites Lounge or other suites-only access areas like Coastal Kitchen (on ships that have it) or suite sun deck. It also doesn’t get you concierge access, complimentary pressing on night 1, and some other smaller suite perks.

This option has showed up for my October 2019 Anthem sailing, and I’m mulling it over. Same price as others have seen, and my sailing is only 5 nights so it might be worth it if I don’t end up finding a discounted upgrade to a JS again.

Just now, JLMoran said:

Not entirely. They key doesn’t get you access to the Suites Lounge or other suites-only access areas like Coastal Kitchen (on ships that have it) or suite sun deck. It also doesn’t get you concierge access, complimentary pressing on night 1, and some other smaller suite perks.

This option has showed up for my October 2019 Anthem sailing, and I’m mulling it over. Same price as others have seen, and my sailing is only 5 nights so it might be worth it if I don’t end up finding a discounted upgrade to a JS again.

I should say part of the suite benefit. We do not care much about the suite because we will have our son with us and that will cost too much for a suite. I hear a lot of good reviews about Coastal Kitchen but we prefer specialty restaurants.  Sundeck normally we have never used it anyway. We got Diamond lounge access and that enough for us so not worry about concierge access. 

The key is possibly good for people that don't want to book their shows or activities or cannot access them because of last minute booking. It a good value if it can buy just a few days but entire cruise I not sure.

I am taking advantage of this package for my August sailing on Symphony. It would be just my wife and I. I wouldn't do this if my kids were with us. I planned to eat at Chop's Grill and get the internet package before this perk. And since this is my first RC cruise I wanted to have some advantages that Suite guests will have. My main incentive on taking this cruise was to enjoy the shows the ship has to offer and now with this perk I have reserved priority seating. I don't get upset at people who purchase fast pass tickets at theme parks so people shouldn't be upset about RC presenting this offer to guests.