Are Robes provided in Staterooms?

Deckie

One of the coolest things I've done on a ship involves the bathrobes.  January of 2007 on the Carnival Legend was Ships and Dips 1 which was the Barenaked Ladies Cruise.  One morning an announcement came as an invitation to go to our staterooms, remove all clothing, put on the robe, and report to the Lido Deck.

With robes on, 700 of us were staged for a photo.  the band was there too.  After about 10 minutes to set the whole thing up, we were told on the count of 3, drop the robes.  You can still find the "Barenaked as Sea" photo on the internet.  We were naked for about 5 seconds, and now 700 people I will never see again were part of one of the coolest things ever.

You can check it out.

I have to say the robes we had we small in our suite on the Allure. Not lying, they said Medium.... now DH is 6’ snd I am 5’8”, pretty sure our skeletons wouldn’t have been comfy in those. We had others, but I thought that was so odd, I had never run across that issue on a ship before.

Lynn

9 hours ago, CruisinUngs said:

@RCVoyager Of course I googled- how could I not lol. The picture is hysterical. It’s such a large group that you really can’t see much but you can definitely tell. 

I think I would do this- but NOT be in the front lol.

It really was a lot of fun, and something none of us will forget.  I have a copy of the photo that was given to everyone who did it by the Barenaked Ladies.

They were amazing hosts.  Totally accessable and did more appearances than advertised.  I also have an 8 X 10 portrait that was also a gift from the band.  It is the 5 of them and the 4 of us in our travel party.

Not only that, but that was the cruise were we discovered Gaelic Storm which has become the favorite band of virtually everyone in my family and many of our friends.  Great music, an unmatched stage presence, so entertaining, and the most fan friendly band you will ever meet.  A couple of years later my brother became ill with ALS.  The last time he saw Gaelic Storm he had a cane.  Patrick, one of the two front men, asked him about it.  He was visibly shaken as he had gotten to know us.  We lost my brother 5 years ago, and Pat still asks me about him  and his family every time I see the band.    Even dedicated a song to him last Spring in Indy.

18 hours ago, Deckie said:

Never been on a cruise   Wondered if robes at provided.  I hate packing big things   

Ask your room steward if he has any spare bathrobes you could use.  The worst he could say is no!   Relax and have a good time ....remember ....your on vacation!

9 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

I have to say the robes we had we small in our suite on the Allure. Not lying, they said Medium.... now DH is 6’ snd I am 5’8”, pretty sure our skeletons wouldn’t have been comfy in those. We had others, but I thought that was so odd, I had never run across that issue on a ship before.

Lynn

We have the same problem.  Never ever use the robes but couldn't, even if we wanted to !

5 hours ago, JLMoran said:

@RCVoyager, very sorry for your loss.

And that was really classy of Gaelic Storm. So many performers wouldn’t interact or get so involved with the passengers, never mind remember them over the course of years.

I never miss a chance to talk about Gaelic Storm because I think the plastic world of today's entertainment is missing out on the absolute best.

If you get a chance to spend 15 minutes check out the songs 'Damn Near Died in Killaloe' and 'Raised on Black and Tans'.  Fans also love 'Don't Go For the One' and 'The Night I Punched Russell Crowe in the Head' which is billed as a true story.

Here's another great story abut them.  One night in Indy they did an all ages show (many of their shows are 21 and up).  My friend's son was about 11 and LOVES Gaelic Storm.  Pat saw us in the crowd and saw the boy with his 'Designated Driver' shirt on.  Pat called the boy up onto the stage and had him play the symbol in the song 'What's the Rumpus' which has a heavy symbol.  By the end of the song, Pat had Michael running across the stage jumping in the air and coming down hard on the symbol.  The kid will never forget it.  

Additonally after every show, they come out and do a meet great until every fan has gone.  No other band would dare do such a thing.

That's Gaelic Storm.

On 11/16/2018 at 10:04 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

We have the same problem.  Never ever use the robes but couldn't, even if we wanted to !

Maybe RCL believes that some extra tiny humans are sailing on RCL or... they large size robes bit the dust and they are using the newer looking ones (since the ones we had on Allure in the OS were frayed to a degree that was sincerely surprising!)

Lynn