Adventure of the Seas - May 31, 2019

I'm taking my friend for his first cruise this coming May on Adventure.  Unfortunately he has HSP (hereditary spastic paraplegia) and requires at times his scooter to get around.  Even though we booked the cruise well in advance, there were no accessory rooms available ?. I don't think it will be a big deal as he doesn't need it in the room to get around, only when we go out perusing about the ship or at the ports.  Plus, our TA informed us that the crew can take the scooter and park / charge it overnight in a specified area and have it back at our cabin the next morning. 

I know that this topic has been broached before, but if someone had booked an accessible cabin and they aren't handicapped, doesn't RC have an obligation to transfer them to another cabin and the accessible cabin given to the people who really need it?  Granted as I previously remarked, he doesn't need it in the cabin so I don't think it will make or break his experience.

Also, any tips you can offer would be great as this will be the first time I'm cruising with someone who has mobility issues

I believe that the cruise line holds accessible rooms back for those requiring them but at some point (probably around 90 days out), they will release accessible rooms into “general inventory” and allow anyone to book them.  I am very surprised that, if you booked well in advance, there were no accessible rooms available.  I do not think, however, that Royal is obliged to move someone out if an accessible room once they’ve booked it.

I can speak for RC , they don't ask for any documentation to prove that you are disabled.  Her sister company, Celebrity we had to send documents from our doctors before they would assign an accessible stateroom to us.  I wish RC would also ask for proof as I am having difficulty getting accessible as well. My husband uses his scooter we rent and we do charge it in the room if you'd rather have it at your disposal when you need it.   

13 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

I can speak for RC , they don't ask for any documentation to prove that you are disabled.  Her sister company, Celebrity we had to send documents from our doctors before they would assign an accessible stateroom to us.  I wish RC would also ask for proof as I am having difficulty getting accessible as well. My husband uses his scooter we rent and we do charge it in the room if you'd rather have it at your disposal when you need it.   

Unfortunately the doorway for the room we did get won't let the scooter fit thru (22") - but I'm thinking if I break it down and slide it in sideways....