Drink package with Oasis suite?

chill6x6

So....  Sailing on Oasis in two weeks in a suite.  Of course we will be able to go to SL starting at 11AM for water, beer, and wine.  Do you think there is ANY need to get a drink package while being in a suite on Oasis?  We have not bought one and I can't really see how I would come out even breaking even.  What you think?

Well....do you enjoy drinks by the pool, or do you drink mainly at night?  Do you enjoy drinks around the ship or are you fine just drinking within the SL?

I have mixed feelings about this.  The SL is up on Deck 17 and often I like to grab drinks by the pool or at a bar when I'm out and about.  I find it inconvenient to walk all the way up to Deck 17 just to get something.  And often, during the day, the drinks that I like are not wine/beer.  If your drinks of choice are wine/beer/water, then you probably don't need the package.  Also, if you are Diamond and above, that would probably deter you more from getting it.  Sorry I don't have a more solid answer.  I really think you have to look closely at your personal preferences.  The lounge only offers beer/wine/water during the day and certain cocktails during happy hour (I think around 5-8pm).  It is limited.

Personally, I use to get the package still even with access to the SL.  For me, it was just more convenient to do so.  However, now that both adults sailing in the same cabin must purchase, and now that we are Diamond members, we have stopped buying the package.  It just simply doesn't make sense financially for us. 

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about it too.  Yeah we are gonna purchase drinks when the SL isn't convenient.  Definitely will while at Labadee.  Of course we will bring on a couple of bottles of wine in Port Canaveral.  If we get the drink package I kinda feel like I'm paying for drinks twice for much of the day...  I was just kind of thinking out loud and wondering what others had done while staying in a suite while on one of the ships with the SL/CK arrangement  

Now D+ I go back and forth on the deluxe package.  I've bought it every time I've had a loft or grand suite on Oasis class. 

There are two considerations. 

• Not having to run up deck 17 for every drink
  • The included drinks are somewhat limited.  No frozen drinks.  Cheap table wine, cheap beers.  I do not like New Amsterdam Vodka for example.  With the package I can have Gray Goose.  Kraken rum requires the deluxe package.  I prefer better wines and a Guinness beer occasionally.

The fact that it works on CocoCay and Labadee is an added bonus.  

If you manage to get it on a sale it makes the decision much easier.

17 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about it too.  Yeah we are gonna purchase drinks when the SL isn't convenient.  Definitely will while at Labadee.  Of course we will bring on a couple of bottles of wine in Port Canaveral.  If we get the drink package I kinda feel like I'm paying for drinks twice for much of the day...  I was just kind of thinking out loud and wondering what others had done while staying in a suite while on one of the ships with the SL/CK arrangement  

Between the SL and wine you bring on board, how many more drinks do you anticipate consuming each day? My wife and I on average consume 2 to 3 drinks each day which is why we no longer purchase the drink package. Last month on Oasis, we would have needed to drink another $100 worth of drinks each to just break even with the drink package.

If you would drink enough to justify the cost or prefer the convenience of having the drink package then go for it!

Think a lot also depends on what you like to drink. Me personally, on Oasis and Allure (for now) the drink package is a no brainer. I'm a huge fan of the Champagne Bar and most drink there are in the $12-$13 range plus some higher.

I also factor in I'm not much of a beer drinker and on very rare occasions will drink wine. About the only use I get from the Suite Lounge bar is if I happen to stay on 17 and after a soda or dining in Coastal Kitchen.

Last night after reading this post, here is the quick calculation I did in my head...it's not going to be a @JLMoran or @twangster spreadsheet though...

For my upcoming Symphony cruise, just Hubby and I, if I get can get the drink package at $50/day on sale, and Hubby is forced to get the refreshment (assuming we can get it at $18/day) then here is what we would end up with:

Deluxe + Refreshment:

$50 + $18/day x 7 days + grats = $ 561.68

Refreshment (just me if I don't get the deluxe):

$18/day x 7 days + grats = $148.68

Cost difference to get the deluxe:

$561.58 - $148.68 = $413

Cost difference per day:

$413/7 = $59 (includes grats)

What I would drink each day (typically) that would not be included in the refreshment or covered by Diamond Happy hour or in the SL happy hour:

I never drink beer, and I only drink wine at dinner.

2 frozen drinks by the pool, Bellini and French martini in the evenings or during a show, drink at Schooners/Boleros/Trellis bar later at night.  That's 4-5 drinks extra/day.

$13 + grats = $15.34 x 4 = $61.36/day...DRINK PACKAGE WORTH IT IF I CAN GET IT ON SALE AT $50 or less.  If higher, then maybe not. 

If cruising with my kids, that would also change things, and I likely would not.

11 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

For my upcoming Symphony cruise, just Hubby and I, if I get can get the drink package at $50/day on sale, and Hubby is forced to get the refreshment (assuming we can get it at $18/day) then here is what we would end up with:

Deluxe + Refreshment:

$50/day x 7 days + grats = $ 561.68

@Lovetocruise2002, is your calculation right for the Deluxe + Refreshment line? You said Deluxe for $50 plus $18 for hubby's Refreshment package, so shouldn't the daily combined cost be $68?

And because I got the mention here for the "spreadsheet"... ?

My last two cruises, I've gotten the Deluxe package at $42/day, which seems to be the best that one could get for a 2018 sailing. 2019 doesn't seem to be going this low, but at $42/day I could easily break even just doing this:

• One 16oz specialty coffee with breakfast (about $4.50)
  • Two glasses of wine with dinner, or one glass plus a Bailey's on the rocks with dessert ($26 total covered on Anthem, usually went a few bucks over per wine glass because wine snob ?)
  • One sailaway margarita or other cocktail ($13)
  • Total: $43.50

I have two beers or two glasses of wine with dinner at home just about every night, and a coffee every morning, so all I'm really adding to my daily routine is the sail-away cocktail.

At $50 a day, which seems to be the going rate for 2019, I just need one more cappuccino (easily done, was doing this most days my last sailing) and I'm so close that I can deal with the $2 a day "loss". Long as you don't have too many port days, it's not that hard to "keep up" without feeling like you're overindulging.

5 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

@Lovetocruise2002, is your calculation right for the Deluxe + Refreshment line? You said Deluxe for $50 plus $18 for hubby's Refreshment package, so shouldn't the daily combined cost be $68?

LOL!  See, this is why I don't do the finances!  I will fix it.

Turns out the final number is correct.  I should just go back to bed. ?

12 hours ago, CruiseLife72 said:

Between the SL and wine you bring on board, how many more drinks do you anticipate consuming each day? My wife and I on average consume 2 to 3 drinks each day which is why we no longer purchase the drink package. Last month on Oasis, we would have needed to drink another $100 worth of drinks each to just break even with the drink package.

If you would drink enough to justify the cost or prefer the convenience of having the drink package then go for it!

12 hours ago, twangster said:

Now D+ I go back and forth on the deluxe package.  I've bought it every time I've had a loft or grand suite on Oasis class. 

There are two considerations. 

• Not having to run up deck 17 for every drink
  • The included drinks are somewhat limited.  No frozen drinks.  Cheap table wine, cheap beers.  I do not like New Amsterdam Vodka for example.  With the package I can have Gray Goose.  Kraken rum requires the deluxe package.  I prefer better wines and a Guinness beer occasionally.

The fact that it works on CocoCay and Labadee is an added bonus.  

If you manage to get it on a sale it makes the decision much easier.

12 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Think a lot also depends on what you like to drink. Me personally, on Oasis and Allure (for now) the drink package is a no brainer. I'm a huge fan of the Champagne Bar and most drink there are in the $12-$13 range plus some higher.

I also factor in I'm not much of a beer drinker and on very rare occasions will drink wine. About the only use I get from the Suite Lounge bar is if I happen to stay on 17 and after a soda or dining in Coastal Kitchen.

Thanks for y'alls perspectives...Y'all are kinda talking me into it... I've had a drink package my last four cruises. 

7 day cruise...Cozumel for sure won't use the package...Tulum from about 730AM to 5PM.  WILL probably use it Falmouth day.  For SURE will use it Labadee day and all other days besides Cozumel.  Deck 10 to deck 17 IS quite a haul!  I was thinking about a few unopened beers finding their way to the cabin from the SL...... 

The package would be $743 out the door for both of us.

Looks like Dazzles would be the closest bar to a deck 10 suite? 

47 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

Looks like Dazzles would be the closest bar to a deck 10 suite?

Would say so. Keep in mind Dazzles has limited day time hours. Be best bet would end up being the Trellis bar.

47 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

I was thinking about a few unopened beers finding their way to the cabin from the SL...... 

Keep in mind the included beers in the SL are the basic domestics (Bud, Miller Lite, Amstel Light, Heineken, Strongbow Cider), nothing too fancy. If you go the route of the package, frequented bar will normally be more than happy to provide one or two unopened beers.