Corkage fee for liquor?

SpeedNoodles

They no longer allow liquor to be brought on board or purchased in duty free shops onboard to be used in your cabin. 

For several years now any alcohol purchases will be held and provided to you the night before the cruise ends.  

Most cruise lines do the same these days.  

I think the exception is when boarding in certain European ports when a bottle of whiskey can be brought on board.

You are allowed to bring two 750ml bottles of wine in your carry on during boarding day only. 

Just now, twangster said:

They no longer allow liquor to be brought on board or purchased in duty free shops onboard to be used in your cabin. 

For several years now any alcohol purchases will be held and provided to you the night before the cruise ends.  

Most cruise lines do the same these days.  

I think the exception is when boarding in certain European ports when a bottle of whiskey can be brought on board.

You are allowed to bring two 750ml bottles of wine in your carry on during boarding day only. 

See how behind I am on cruising!! Shameful!  Thank you - it helps us make our beverage package decision much easier!  I appreciate the quick response.

A lot has changed since 2004.  Very few midnight buffets, no complimentary wine served at dinner, lots of opportunity to purchase specialty dining and photo packages, daily gratuity charges to cover cabin and dining wait staff.  You may at first think they are trying to sell you everything needed to cruise but in reality you don't need to purchase anything else. 

The main dining room and Windjammer buffet is included, you don't have to buy specialty dining to cruise, but if there is a special occasion the additional charge for specialty dining can provide a nicer ambiance with even better food.  

The changes are industry wide, not just Royal.  Cruising remains a great way to travel but it is different now.  With the proper expectations you will still have an excellent time, just be prepared for the changes over the past 14 years.

I'm not sure I ever stayed awake long enough to know there was a midnight buffet back then, LOL!  I don't think we'll be too surprised (what with all of the great Vlogs available from different folks, I feel pretty prepared),  but it sure is nice to have this group available to answer some of those weird questions!

On 11/11/2018 at 7:08 AM, SpeedNoodles said:

On previous cruises we've purchased alcohol (bottle of whiskey or what have you) in the duty-free shop and were able to open it in the room for just drinking privately.  But we haven't cruised on Royal since 2004.  Is this still something they let you do? If so, I assume there's a corkage fee?

You may be able to purchase a liquor package on the Royal Gifts website and have it delivered to your cabin for consumption. These packages are not available on all ships though.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/royalgifts/onboard-delivery/packages/page/1/