No men’s underwear on the Symphony?????

tonyfsu21

So the couple my parents were traveling with on the Symphony transatlantic had a bit of an issue.  The gentleman left his underwear in a stack at home and forgot to pack it. They checked every venue on the ship and could not locate any boxers or underwear. This guy had to wash them every night of a 12 night voyage! The Symphony has just about everything you can think about EXCEPT underwear. Moral of the story is check and double check your bag before leaving the country on a 12 night cruise. 

1 hour ago, Balsam said:

Really?

Looking at the itinerary for that cruise, day three was in Malaga, Spain. Surely he could find some underwear during an 11 hour stay in port?

Assuming the forgetful gentleman was from the US, perhaps he didn't care for the Spanish/European style of men's underwear, ie, speedo/banana hammock. 

Image result for did you just see that jpg

31 minutes ago, rjac said:

Assuming the forgetful gentleman was from the US, perhaps he didn't care for the Spanish/European style of men's underwear, ie, speedo/banana hammock

I think you will find that all types of underwear are available in Spain... from boxers to g-strings.

There is no reason he had to wash a single item every day for 12 days... other than stupidity.

1 hour ago, Balsam said:

Really?

Looking at the itinerary for that cruise, day three was in Malaga, Spain. Surely he could find some underwear during an 11 hour stay in port?

That’s not the point. I mentioned there was none on the damn ship when there probably should have even. I highly doubt this guy is the first to have left his underwear at home! You would think that RC could accommodate.....

Just now, tonyfsu21 said:

That’s not the point. I mentioned there was none on the damn ship when there probably should have even. I highly doubt this guy is the first to have left his underwear at home! You would think that RC could accommodate.....

I would have thought you would at least be able to buy souvenir type underwear on board... after all, it's another thing they could make money on. Still, by day three, having realised there were none onboard, I would have purchased some while the ship was in port...

Just now, Balsam said:

I think you will find that all types of underwear are available in Spain... from boxers to g-strings.

There is no reason he had to wash a single item every day for 12 days... other than stupidity.

You assume this person is not handicapped in some way or elderly & requiring assistance to get off the ship and look for underwear in a foreign country. Then to top it off you chalk it up to stupidity? That’s not so cool. 

1 minute ago, tonyfsu21 said:

You assume this person is not handicapped in some way or elderly & requiring assistance to get off the ship and look for underwear in a foreign country. Then to top it off you chalk it up to stupidity? That’s not so cool. 

...and nobody else travelling with him was kind enough to offer to get some for him while they were out and about in port?

That's not so cool either...

2 minutes ago, Balsam said:

...and nobody else travelling with him was kind enough to offer to get some for him while they were out and about in port?

I don’t know & don’t really care. I don’t leave my underwear at home. Again, the point was to highlight the fact that the ship has none available onboard. Whether or not this person or  the people traveling with him are stupid is not relevant to the point of the post. 

I know it would not help this gentleman but maybe it will help someone else.

In such case, I would ask the guest service (although maybe they do not sell them they might have some emergency solution) , My next station would be to go to the SPA and ask them if they sell me some disposable underwear which every respectable SPA carries. although maybe not the most comfortable but still better than nothing ...  

9 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

So the couple my parents were traveling with on the Symphony transatlantic had a bit of an issue.  The gentleman left his underwear in a stack at home and forgot to pack it. They checked every venue on the ship and could not locate any boxers or underwear. This guy had to wash them every night of a 12 night voyage! The Symphony has just about everything you can think about EXCEPT underwear. Moral of the story is check and double check your bag before leaving the country on a 12 night cruise. 

Great bit of advice,which when reading i understood it to be straight away

6 hours ago, rjac said:

Assuming the forgetful gentleman was from the US, perhaps he didn't care for the Spanish/European style of men's underwear, ie, speedo/banana hammock. 

Image result for did you just see that jpg

HAHAHAHA i got the joke ? we call them Budgie Smugglers

6 hours ago, Traveler said:

I know it would not help this gentleman but maybe it will help someone else.

In such case, I would ask the guest service (although maybe they do not sell them they might have some emergency solution) , My next station would be to go to the SPA and ask them if they sell me some disposable underwear which every respectable SPA carries. although maybe not the most comfortable but still better than nothing ...  

They do sell depends adult diapers but I think he would rather wash his dirty underwear every day and keep his pride and dignity. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Just remembered... Carnival Horizon has a Victoria's Secret store.  Perfect excuse to tramp around in lady's undergarments if he is into that sort of thing. 

"Oh dear, I forgot my underwear, better go to Victoria's Secret..."

@twangster you were on the Symphony TA, wasn’t Malaga a hellish port day? Do you see why he wouldn’t have opted to get off the ship that day? I will suggest the Victoria’s Secret option to him, perhaps he is into that and it could have been an option had he picked another ship to sail!

The morning wasn't bad.  By mid-day it was a rain-out.  No way I was heading out in that slop.  However in those shoes I would have been up and at 'em very early trying to find a shop.  The terminal had several shops including some clothing, women's scarfs, pashmina's, t-shirts, etc. I may have even seen men's underwear. 

Perhaps they had an excursion or other plans and by the time they returned to the ship it was raining hard.    

I saw them somewhere because it stood out as very odd to me, a bizarre place to see them.  I'm sure they scoured the ship so it must have been on land.  Tightie whities.  

Happened to my elderly uncle on a trip to Europe many years ago and is the story we tell when explaining why you should ALWAYS cross-pack.  Airline lost his bag & he could not find underwear in Europe (Italy mostly) that fit his “body type”.  My aunt washed the one pair he had every night in the sink.

On 11/10/2018 at 8:49 PM, tonyfsu21 said:

To the man with no drawers...lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

At what age do we stop shifting responsibility unto others and (especially in this case)put on our big boy pants.

2 hours ago, H20 said:

To the man with no drawers...lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

At what age do we stop shifting responsibility unto others and (especially in this case)put on our big boy pants.

Hmmm... out of curiosity who mentioned anything about an emergency? Are you a “buyer” for royal Caribbean & stocking underwear aboard Symphony causes you stress? I doubt this gentleman’s lack of underwear causes you any type of emergency. It’s interesting how many folks pile on to bully some old man for forgetting his underwear (calling him stupid exc). As the OP I regret the post. 

On 11/10/2018 at 8:04 PM, Balsam said:

On 11/10/2018 at 7:49 PM, Balsam said:

I'll bet your just a real joy to be stuck on a cruise ship with aren't you. 

22 minutes ago, Crusinjunky said:

I'll bet your just a real joy to be stuck on a cruise ship with aren't you. 

Yes this person “Balsam” seems like a real piece of work. It’s really easy to sit behind a keyboard and bully defenseless older folks when there are no repercussions. 

On 11/12/2018 at 3:33 PM, tonyfsu21 said:

Hmmm... out of curiosity who mentioned anything about an emergency? Are you a “buyer” for royal Caribbean & stocking underwear aboard Symphony causes you stress? I doubt this gentleman’s lack of underwear causes you any type of emergency. It’s interesting how many folks pile on to bully some old man for forgetting his underwear (calling him stupid exc). As the OP I regret the post. 

Where does it say the guy was old?

i don't know if this helps for clothing emergencies but years ago on the liberty I forgot some items at home. a friend took me to the customer service desk said something to the lady attending , she ushered me to the back room and to my surprise it was full of everything from tuxedos to swim suits many pairs of very expensive shoes t shirts underwear etc.i did the clark kent to superman and in minutes came out in full dress, saved my cruise it was new years eve and I wanted to look good   

3 hours ago, henrysea13 said:

i don't know if this helps for clothing emergencies but years ago on the liberty I forgot some items at home. a friend took me to the customer service desk said something to the lady attending , she ushered me to the back room and to my surprise it was full of everything from tuxedos to swim suits many pairs of very expensive shoes t shirts underwear etc.i did the clark kent to superman and in minutes came out in full dress, saved my cruise it was new years eve and I wanted to look good   

Did they sell/rent you the outfit or they just borrowed it? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...