Booking on US site vs International site

mattymay

What happens if I book a cruise from the US website even though I live in Australia?

The US and Australian websites always have different deals - right now after currency conversion from USD to AUD I can book the same cruise for around $1200 cheaper as the Kids sale free offer + OBC applies on the US website but the Aussie site just gives me BOGOHO and no OBC.

Do Royal care which site I book from? or will they hunt me down later ?

There are a few things to consider:

1) Policies and fees for cancellation, repricing, changing cruise date/ship, etc differ from country to country.

2) Gratuities are not included in US prices and will be an extra daily charge on board (unless you choose to pre-pay them).  Gratuities are typically built into the base cost of the cruise on international sites.

3) I've heard inconsistent information regarding whether you need to have a local address to book using a different countries site.  One way around this is using a local travel agent to handle the booking.

So make sure you understand all the fine print before you proceed.  I know it can be done but it's not quite so easy to compare prices as it might seem.

20 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

There are a few things to consider:

1) Policies and fees for cancellation, repricing, changing cruise date/ship, etc differ from country to country.

2) Gratuities are not included in US prices and will be an extra daily charge on board (unless you choose to pre-pay them).  Gratuities are typically built into the base cost of the cruise on international sites. Gratatuties are NOT built into cost of cruise on UK site we have the same option as you to prepay or not.

3) I've heard inconsistent information regarding whether you need to have a local address to book using a different countries site.  One way around this is using a local travel agent to handle the booking.

So make sure you understand all the fine print before you proceed.  I know it can be done but it's not quite so easy to compare prices as it might seem.

All,

I happened to find out there is a blog entry on Fall Adventure Sale:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/11/09/royal-caribbeans-fall-adventure-sale-offers-bonus-savings-weekend

According to the article, "Offer open to residents of US, Canada, Puerto Rico and select countries in the Caribbean.".

Therefore, the sale is not for Australian or Asian residents, it it?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2018 at 2:38 AM, mattymay said:

Do Royal care which site I book from? or will they hunt me down later

I wanted to weigh in here because this is a topic I've been working on lately.

Traditionally, US travel agents were prohibited/refrained from booking clients outside USA/Canada.  However, the nature of the internet has changed much of that.  As an example, the travel agent sponsor of Royal Caribbean Blog, MEI Travel, can now book clients from UK, Australia, or New Zealand regularly.  

I think part of your question was about the offers, and I'll defer to an agency like MEI to sort out how that works with promotions and residency requirements.  Not sure if you can opt to pay in US dollars and then you'd be okay to get the deal.

10 hours ago, Matt said:

I wanted to weigh in here because this is a topic I've been working on lately.

Traditionally, US travel agents were prohibited/refrained from booking clients outside USA/Canada.  However, the nature of the internet has changed much of that.  As an example, the travel agent sponsor of Royal Caribbean Blog, MEI Travel, can now book clients from UK, Australia, or New Zealand regularly.  

I think part of your question was about the offers, and I'll defer to an agency like MEI to sort out how that works with promotions and residency requirements.  Not sure if you can opt to pay in US dollars and then you'd be okay to get the deal.

Thanks Matt,

I was just curious as to what Royal Caribbean would do as there appears to be nothing on the US website to prevent non-US residents booking those deals so long as they are willing to pay in US dollars.

Speaking of the different websites - I have also noticed on the cruise planner for a Symphony of the Seas booking I don't get the Perfect Day options (see below). It's no big deal, I just find the subtle inconsistencies between the two websites interesting, and wonder why they don't just use the one site for everyone. It would be easier for them as well not having to maintain multiple websites.

Australian cruise planner:

rS5PhRm.png

US cruise planner:  

PdmxtsU.png