Cruising out of NJ in September

monicaann23

Hi All,

i'm debating sailing on Anthem in mid September and was looking for experiences.  I'm searching everywhere. i'm afraid it will be too cold that we won't be able to be outside on the decks for part of the trip.  If it was too cold, when did it start to warm up that you felt you could enjoy the pools, be outside etc? I'm nervous about wasting two days back and forth due to cold weather. Thank you!! 

We traveled on Anthem last September, Sept 23-28th, we were in our bathing suits at the sail away party.   Wore shorts, deck pool was filled with people the entire trip.    It is not uncommon for it to be in the low-mid 80s in NJ for the better part of the month of Sept.  NJ is really not very north, born, bred and lived there for my 1st 25 yrs,  I now live in VA, have lived in NC for 8 yrs prior to moving to VA.  I would say that the temp difference between NC, VA and NJ at that time of year might be 3-5 degrees.    IE today in NC it will be a high of 51.  In NJ it will be 47.  

Think of NJ weather in Sept. like the weather in NJ in May.

JMPO, the temp would not be my concern for Sept.  Hurricanes would be my concern regarding booking out of NJ in Sept.  As I stated earlier I did the Anthem in Sept.  48 hrs prior to our cruise that was suppose to go to Bermuda, we were informed we would be going to NE/Canada because of a hurricane coming through the Atlantic.  RCCL did good by us.  They said if we didn't cancel, they would give back on our credit card 50% of the cost paid, plus, 250 pp in OBC, or would refund the entire trip and give us 50% off for our next cruise if we sailed within a yr.  We sailed.

NJerseyan here.  I wouldn't worry about it being too cold in September.  September is still summer.  Autumn doesn't arrive until 20th-21st and it does not turn cold overnight. 

October is our month that the weather can start to turn cool, or it can still be blazing hot.  I have pictures of my sons on Halloween every year.  There are some pictures that they are in shorts & t-shirts, and others they are so bundled up you can't see their costumes.  In fact, my youngest's first Halloween I have a photo of him sitting in on the front porch, after dark, in just a onesie.  LOL  

Agreed - you should be fine in September.  We usually cruise towards the end of September, and it's always been shorts weather when we leave.  Our last cruise on the Anthem was at the end of October and it was cold and rainy - even then, by day 2 I was shirtless on my balcony the following morning.

I've sailed on Anthem in March when there was snow on the ground, and I sailed October last year. In Sept/Oct you shouldn't have to worry about the weather too much. The first day sailing out might cool outside especially at night but I wouldn't say it would be a waste. But then it could also be sunny and hot with this north east weather!

Anthem is a ship that seems designed to be able to handle cold weather, worse case scenario there's an indoor pool to enjoy if the outside weather isn't quite warm yet. If possibly wearing a light sweater or light jacket the first day won't ruin your trip, I think you'll be fine! 

One more vote from a native NJerseyan for no worries in September. My wife and I just sailed Anthem in mid-October. It was chilly the entire first day, but we were in shorts and t-shirts by mid-morning on the next day.

Also, keep in mind that Anthem has both outdoor and indoor pools that are general admission, plus a large and fully enclosed Solarium area with a 3-tiered pool and four whirlpools; the Solarium is only for adults and teens 16 and over, and has its own dedicated bar. You can definitely enjoy sail-away from either indoor space on a cold day, the solarium in particular tends to be a very comfortable 75 or 80 degrees at all times. The indoor pool area can get some cold breezes as the doors leading to the outdoor pool open and close, but the Solarium has no such problems.