Dress code for MDR on Mariner of the Seas

RRoman7

I will preface this post by telling you that we have done 10+ cruises but not in about 10 years.  We were used to the old style of cruising when men had to wear long pants in the dining room (or be turned away) and on formal nights, a suit and tie and I wore a fancy dress.  From what I have been reading from recent reviews and posts on this board for the Mariner, it seems that men can now wear shorts at dinner and won't be turned away at the door.  And when I say shorts, I mean nice dress shorts with a collared shirt, not gym shorts and a t-shirt!  However, if this is not correct, please do tell me.  We are a group of 18 family members and I have become the organizer so I want to tell everyone what they should be packing.  Thank you!

It's hard to answer your question because the dress attire for the main dining room tends to be a question of if RC enforces the rules rather than what you should or should not wear.

RC leaves the exact dress code quite vague.  There is no specific provision other than not wearing swimwear, tank tops or other flagrantly casual clothing.  Even so, I've seen guests in gym shorts for dinner. Not saying they should wear that, but there seems to be wide latitude in what is permissible.

To best answer your question, I would suggest telling your family to wear what they feel is appropriate for a dinner party or nice evening out. 

I was just looking at a set of cruise compasses for Mariner and noticed the dress codes for the 3 nights were described as: Casual - Dress Your Best - Casual ... the Dress Your Best went out of its way to be clear that it used to formal night but wasn't anymore.

Personally I have worn the shorts/polo combination to MDR on several ships both Royal and other lines over the last couple years (prepared to head to buffet it someone made a big deal out of it) and have not gotten any negative reaction on any of them. At this point I think all the lines have basically embraced the "don't piss off the passengers by trying to make them follow rules" philosophy.

55 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

I was just looking at a set of cruise compasses for Mariner and noticed the dress codes for the 3 nights were described as: Casual - Dress Your Best - Casual ... the Dress Your Best went out of its way to be clear that it used to formal night but wasn't anymore.

Personally I have worn the shorts/polo combination to MDR on several ships both Royal and other lines over the last couple years (prepared to head to buffet it someone made a big deal out of it) and have not gotten any negative reaction on any of them. At this point I think all the lines have basically embraced the "don't piss off the passengers by trying to make them follow rules" philosophy.

Thanks.  My husband has decided to wear shorts/polo or button down shirts and will have a couple of pairs of pants with him for the dress your best night and if there is any issue with his shorts!  He's always warmer than everyone else so that's the only reason he prefers shorts.  Packing on Sunday!!!