Is Chef’s Table included in the Ultimate Dining Package?

Mike P

No, the Chef's Table is specifically listed as not part of any dining package, including Ultimate. Trust me when I say that it's very much worth the extra charge. I did it back in April on Freedom and was one of the best meals and experiences I've had in my life. And the wines, with a couple of exceptions just due to personal preferences, were out of this world!

What happens 

On 11/7/2018 at 10:22 PM, JLMoran said:

No, the Chef's Table is specifically listed as not part of any dining package, including Ultimate. Trust me when I say that it's very much worth the extra charge. I did it back in April on Freedom and was one of the best meals and experiences I've had in my life. And the wines, with a couple of exceptions just due to personal preferences, were out of this world!

How's the Chef's Table experience?   Are participants seated together at a long table?  I'm sailing solo and I want to book it for my birthday.  If I don't drink, would it still worth it?

Just now, RatedPG said:

What happens 

How's the Chef's Table experience?   Are participants seated together at a long table?  I'm sailing solo and I want to book it for my birthday.  If I don't drink, would it still worth it?

Here's a link to the full review (with tons of photos) that I wrote after doing this on Freedom last April:

I did it solo, even though I was traveling with my family, and it was a fantastic time. @ellcee was traveling solo on Anthem at the same time as my wife and I were, and she also had a great experience. She didn't do a full review, but this short-yet-perfect summary also gives you an idea of the experience as a solo traveler:

As for whether it's "worth it" if you don't drink, I would still wholeheartedly say yes. The food alone is worth the price of admission, and you combine that with the great experience of the chef coming out and explaining all the courses, the people (well, barring something like what @Broons77 had to go through with a couple of passengers who were too far into their drink packages...), and the camaraderie, and it's really something you just have to experience at least once. Doing it for a birthday sounds like a great idea to me!

On 11/8/2018 at 11:41 AM, ellcee said:

@yzfmik

I would check with restaurant services once on board. If you purchase the UDP you are eligible for a discount that you can only get once on board. That's what my fine print said from earlier this month.

I’ll surely check with the concierge once we board (staying in a GS) about this.  Thanks!

On 11/9/2018 at 4:09 PM, JLMoran said:

Here's a link to the full review (with tons of photos) that I wrote after doing this on Freedom last April:

I did it solo, even though I was traveling with my family, and it was a fantastic time. @ellcee was traveling solo on Anthem at the same time as my wife and I were, and she also had a great experience. She didn't do a full review, but this short-yet-perfect summary also gives you an idea of the experience as a solo traveler:

As for whether it's "worth it" if you don't drink, I would still wholeheartedly say yes. The food alone is worth the price of admission, and you combine that with the great experience of the chef coming out and explaining all the courses, the people (well, barring something like what @Broons77 had to go through with a couple of passengers who were too far into their drink packages...), and the camaraderie, and it's really something you just have to experience at least once. Doing it for a birthday sounds like a great idea to me!

Awesome review, thanks!  Now I’m REALLY looking forward to this in February!  Any idea where Chef’s Table is on Oasis?  Didn’t see it on the deck plans, is it in another restaurant similar to how you described it on FOS?

20 minutes ago, yzfmik said:

Any idea where Chef’s Table is on Oasis?  Didn’t see it on the deck plans, is it in another restaurant similar to how you described it on FOS?

Never been on Oasis, so can't say for sure. A decent number of others here have done Chef's Table, though I'm not sure if any have done so on an Oasis class ship; hopefully one of them can give you a clearer idea on that front.

In the cruise planner when viewing the UDP click on Additional Terms and Conditions near the bottom.

From a different Navigator sail date:

Prices are per person for the full sailing. All selections are subject to change. Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to verify eligibility upon arrival to the activity.  Specialty Dining Packages must be booked at least two days prior to boarding and may not be available for every sail date. One reservation will be automatically created for the first night of the sailing. All other reservations must be made onboard and are subject to availability. Packages include service charge and food portion only for dinner and, when available, lunch service. Package valid for one specialty dining restaurant per meal. Beverages not included. For Dining Packages, children ages 12 and under are excluded from offer; children ages 6-12 can be added to reservation for a $10 cover change once onboard. Not available on holiday sailings. Not valid for Chef's Table, Izumi Hibachi, or Culinary Experiences/Activities. Guests will receive 20% off when booking Chef's Table and/or any Culinary Experience/Activity onboard. Offer provides discount off wine selections at specialty dining restaurants with the purchase of a qualifying dining package. Offer provides 40% discount off bottles of wine priced at $100 or less; 20% discount off bottles of wine priced over $100. VAT will be added to the price where applicable. Offer valid only with the purchase of 3-night, 4-night, 5-night, or Ultimate Dining Packages; other Dining Packages excluded. Terms of Royal Caribbean’s Alcohol Policy apply, including a minimum drinking age, which varies by itinerary. Offer is not transferable, not redeemable for cash, and expires on the final night of the cruise. Terms of Dining Packages apply. Offer excludes charters.

On 11/9/2018 at 4:09 PM, JLMoran said:

(well, barring something like what @Broons77 had to go through with a couple of passengers who were too far into their drink packages...)

Even with the idiots, it was still a fantastic meal.  If you like well prepared and presented food run, don't walk, to book this.

Hey @JLMoran, any idea if the CT menu is the same across the fleet? Jamie and I are booked on Rhapsody in January, and we'd like to give it another shot if the menu is different.

9 hours ago, Broons77 said:

Hey @JLMoran, any idea if the CT menu is the same across the fleet? Jamie and I are booked on Rhapsody in January, and we'd like to give it another shot if the menu is different.

Honestly, I don't have a clue. Based on the conversations you and I and @ellcee had, and based on some recent live blogs, I think it stays pretty similar. But I also remember @mpoole3 blogging that when he and several others who went on night one of their sailing followed up with a repeat visit a couple nights later, the chef deliberately changed the menu around so they weren't just having the same meal over again. No idea if they keep a database of how many people attending a given CT are repeat customers from sailings past so the chefs can prepare accordingly, but I'd doubt it. Modifications like what Mr. Poole experienced are probably isolated to specific sailings.

I would guess that they might change it up once a year so that repeat cruisers don't feel like they're getting the same exact thing each time, but maybe it's tied to when the CK menu gets updated, given that I saw a few items from CK that I'd had at Chef's Table (albeit with slightly different preparations). Then again, maybe it goes in reverse and the chef's come up with a new CT menu each year or two, with the most popular items making their way to CK! ?

@ellcee @JLMoran

Thanks cruise buddies!

We're probably going to forgo it this time then as I refuse to waste precious stomach space on a repeat meal even though it was fantastic.  We fell prey to first cruise excitement and couldn't properly focus the way I needed to in October and as a result, I came home 3 lbs lighter.  I was utterly devastated.

Someone better alert the Windjammer that I'm on the way.  And Izumi too.

I’m sure it’ll be awesome wherever it is!  Initially I thought it was its own restaurant so I was confused when I didn’t see it on the deck plans. When going to Chops on Enchantment I saw Chefs Table just outside the Chops entrance so I assumed it had its own location on all ships.