Problem - booking a distant cruise and missing status discount

AlohaLivin

Hi all ?

There may not be a work around for this problem, but it may be that I am missing information and so ask those with far more experience with Royal -

We recently completed our 1st cruise with Royal and now have 14 points (Gold Status with C & A). Last night I began looking at some cruises that said next November and December (2019).  However, it is somewhat likely that we will book and take another RCL cruise between now and that cruise considered for the tail end of 2019 cruise. Since points are not awarded until after a cruise, that seems to mean that we would not get any discount on the cruise taken 3rd (but booked 2nd) for which we might be otherwise have been qualified has we booked and taken the 2nd before booking and taking the 3rd. So, it seems that even booking both at the same time would not help, we would still not get the benefits of the Platinum status that would apply (only) after the 2nd cruise is completed. ?

I realize with Platinum there is a discount on balcony cabins (10-25%?). I assume that could also be transferred to a suite or include suites in some way? I need clarification on those issues of course. Regardless, it seems to me that if we book the Holiday 2019 cruise now we cheat ourselves out of a decent discount that would likely translate to real money in our pockets. 

I’m sure that many other cruisers have dealt with a similar issue.  Is there something I am missing? Is there a work around for such situations? I fear the answer is no, but I can have hope ??

Thanks!
Lynn 

Crown and Anchor points are awarded by days at sea. One point per day per person for Interior, OV, and balcony. Two points per day per person for suite bookings. You are speaking in terms of number of sailings. If these sailings you refer to are 14 or 21 days, you would move up rather quickly.

I think this is still current info. Looks like the largest jump is between Platinum and Emerald. 

Balcony Discounts.jpg

When you book a cruise, any discount is based on your current status.  As @L454S mentioned with the chart, the difference is only $25 so I think you may have been misinformed that the discount was larger.

You will want to book now as the price for a Holiday 2019 cruise and you can always reprice it.  In fact, most of us compare prices with every sale and adjust if needed.  Now, you may want to use a TA who will do this for you.  I use MEI (the sponsor of this blog) and I've found them to be very helpful. 

Not all promotions allow the additional C&A discount.  Another reason why I find using a TA to be very helpful.  

@L454S thanks for that ?. I understand the point additions and had read info suggesting that on all/some sailings (at a certain status level maybe) additional points are available for C&A.. I definitely had not seen that chart and it will help a great deal (the fact the cruise lines change around benefits doesn’t help, like NCL I believe changed the extra point for members booking 6 months out etc...grrrrr). It does seem like booking early we will lose some money, not too much, but possibly a few benefits. But it doesn’t appear there is any way around that unfortunately if we book it now. We aren’t entirely sure yet, especially if my sister wants to go with us, but I certainly thought it was wise to look at whether there were any options to *not* lose those benefits. Thanks again for that super helpful chart!

@melski94  if I am reading the chart correctly, if we waited to book until after our next cruise (when we would be Platinum as long as it is an 8 day or longer ; we usually select a suite so that would bring us to 30 points) we would save $125 - $225 *plus* possibly an extra point per night (if I am reading the following correctly: “Additional cruise points when you book a suite or sail solo in a double-occupancy cabin”). I understand you are saying the gold also offers a discount and until I saw the chart above I didn’t realize that.  The extra point would have been great though! I do as you do, defintely recheck prices on booked cruises to reduce if possible (although I think with many travel agents they do that on behalf of the client, yes?). We are not at all new to cruising since my parents were avid cruisers years before it was popularized, but my husband and I usually sale with Norwegian and only recently have tried Royal and so I am trying to nail down the finer details of the program ?

Thanks ?

Lynn

Taking the crown and anchor discount is not always cheaper so it pays to compare before booking. For example if sales promotion has obc that can be better value than C&A discount as you don’t usually get the obc using C&A discount. I also find the room rate can change when using C&A so the discount can be off a higher room rate.

We rarely use the C&A discount because quite often the promos are better value.

@mattymay Hi! I had understood about the 2nd point for suites, but one bit one information that I found is indictated that at the Platinum level on all or some cruises (again, it was unclear) there was an extra point awarded (NCL does this for some cruises, so 3 points per day, so I believed it was likely somewhat valid for RCL - although there is so much old info around on the net that it can be frustrating!). Love your user name ???

@F1guynz it’s so aggravating when that is the case, the supposed benefit to something like Monopoly money ? I appreciate you noting that since it’s the kind of thing only experience shows! DH has Maori, I so wish NZ was not across the planet from us and an insanely long plane ride as It has some of my favorite humans ?

anyone know if RCL offers anything worth waiting for at Thanksgiving?

Lynn

Two years ago there was a good Black Friday sale on cruises but that wasn't seen last year.  There was a great cruise planner sale.  Its a toss up and right now with cruises selling well, I'm not expecting a big difference in prices but a lot of hype trying to make you think it is a great deal.

Don't wait to book.  Book now.  With every sale, you or your TA can check your booking price.  If it is cheaper than what you booked, then ask your TA to reprice your booking (just don't pay your cruise off in full).  It is really simple.  When you become platinum, then you reprice it again and see if that is cheaper than what you have currently booked.  You can reprice a bunch of times.   @Lovetocruise2002 checks her suites on a daily basis and has received significant savings this way.  I don't reprice daily but usually with the sales and I know my TA checks with every sale too.

14 minutes ago, melski94 said:

@Lovetocruise2002 checks her suites on a daily basis and has received significant savings this way. 

Exactly!  Just to give you an example, I booked a Star class suite in January 2018 for sailing March 2019.  I have, in that time, re-priced it 3 times already for a total savings of $2,333.  The first re-price was due to a random price drop.  No new sale.  Second was KSF.  The last, which was yesterday, was another random price drop.  That last one was over $800 off.  It pays to be diligent in checking your prices.  I check them myself.  I email my TA when I notice a drop.  This is just one example. Over the years, I have saved lots this year.  And for the record, I have not once used my CA discount.  Like @F1guynz mentioned, it is often not worth it.

Thanks everyone! @lovetocruise2002 I unfortunately can only reprice about every 2 weeks or with a notice email (my day to day requirements make checking daily impossible, but hopefully I catch most of the biggest drops), but all yourr experience is surely informative! I wondered if re-pricing was possible after a change in status, so appreciate the suggestion about that too @melski94 !  All good information ???

Lynn

UPDATE Well I booked it! We are on the Adventure of the Seas in November next year in one of the two Oceanview Pandoramic Suites.  Major Beeze loves those big balcony’s, but decided he could skip having one this once for that amazing view. Worth a try for sure! And I will be checking the price @Lovetocruise2002 ??

Whoopsies - @Matt it would be wrong of me if I failed to also thank royalcaribbeanblog.com blogging for first alerting me to the fact that these two suites had been moved to Sky class as of Sept. (suites have been moving the opposite direction after all) - that played a huge role in our decision! ???????? <— my party for all of you ☀️