Classic soda + Voom

Cmelltt

My husband, 16 yo son, and I are sailing RC for thirst time on the Anthem in January. My son wants the soda and internet. I also want internet but I don’t really drink soda. My husband doesn’t want internet and would like the soda package, but is also fine without. 

Looking at the soda + Voom package seems to be the best deal if we get 2 of these packages my husband would get the soda and I would use the Internet. What I’m trying to figure out is if it’s the Voom that just lets you check your email or if you can stream.  The name just says Voom but the description says stream your videos.  

Do these packages stay or should I book quickly in case it disappears?

In the fine print "Offer is available for a limited time only. Packages cannot be shared and are not transferable. Offer includes Classic Soda Package and VOOM Surf and Stream Internet Package for one device. Terms of Beverage Package and Internet Package apply."

Seems like that plan would work out great for you!

I would buy it now, you can always cancel it up to 3 days before your cruise and get a full refund. No reason not to do it now!

The Voom "Stream" package gives you access to wifi and you are able to do anything you want with it (social media, email, wifi calling, messages, apps, etc.). I think they call it "stream" because the speeds are supposed to be fast enough that you can stream videos and things as well. 

Agree with booking it now as you will "lock" in that price. If for whatever reason RC raises the drink package or internet prices before the sailing (or discontinues this combo package), you might be stuck paying the higher amount. And like @Thetechie said you can always return it up to 3 days before you sail. 

Enjoy your trip! I have a sailing March booked on Anthem and can't wait.

My husband and I just got back from a cruise and I got the soda and zoom for me and he didn't get anything.  He doesn't drink soda and I needed the wi fi for business.  You can sign on any one device at a time.  He used my code to check his emails on his phone when I wasn't using it.

• 2 weeks later...

Our very first cruise, so trying to figure it all out.  I am booked on Freedom in Feb, 2019

I was looking at internet pkg, VOOM, I only will need to be able to call my elderly parents a few times during the week and possibly text my kids. The Surf Voyage pkg and Surf & stream do not give details about WiFi calling or texting.

**Also, I booked thru a travel agent, is it better to book the internet pkg thru agent, or directly on RC website thru planner? 

HELP!!

5 hours ago, Nay said:

Our very first cruise, so trying to figure it all out.  I am booked on Freedom in Feb, 2019

I was looking at internet pkg, VOOM, I only will need to be able to call my elderly parents a few times during the week and possibly text my kids. The Surf Voyage pkg and Surf & stream do not give details about WiFi calling or texting.

**Also, I booked thru a travel agent, is it better to book the internet pkg thru agent, or directly on RC website thru planner? 

HELP!!

Wifi-calling and texting are features of your cellular provider and smartphone.  For example with TMobile on my iPhone having activated wifi-calling at home on my home wifi it works on the ship over Voom.  It's important to use it at least once at home prior to sailing.  For help with that go to a store for your cellular provider and ask them to help you activate it.  

As far as purchasing Voom it doesn't matter if you book it using the cruise planner or through your agent.  While I book my cruises using a travel agent, I make my own cruise planner purchases.  

• 1 year later...
48 minutes ago, BS15 said:

Hello I am booked on the Allure of the Seas! I bought the package classic soda and VOOM one device. Was curious if the regular VOOM internet works with Snapchat, instagram, and Facebook?

VOOM is just Royal Caribbean’s fancy name for WiFi. 

It’s a plain old wireless internet connection.  We used  the regular VOOM on Mariner and Vision for Facebook messenger and Facebook calling. 

pictures could be slow depending on where we were on the ship. Our balcony on Mariner had the slowest speed. 

5 hours ago, teddy said:

VOOM is just Royal Caribbean’s fancy name for WiFi. 

It’s a plain old wireless internet connection.  We used  the regular VOOM on Mariner and Vision for Facebook messenger and Facebook calling. 

pictures could be slow depending on where we were on the ship. Our balcony on Mariner had the slowest speed. 

Thank you. So is the difference between the VOOM stream just videos everything else is the same and can use social media on the regular VOOM I don’t need the streaming one?

7 hours ago, BS15 said:

Thank you. So is the difference between the VOOM stream just videos everything else is the same and can use social media on the regular VOOM I don’t need the streaming one?

The difference is speed or throughput. 

Plain Voom "Surf" is usually around 0.5Mbps down and 0.25 Mbps up.  That's pretty slow but social media sites will load.  Videos posted by others to social media sites will have trouble loading but still pictures will slowly come through.  

"Surf and Stream" is usually around 4 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up.  At those speeds you can watch videos but everything loads faster.  Web browsing and social media sites will be more snappy.  Sending pictures in messages or to social media will be faster.  

If all you're looking to do is check email and do some quick surfing on social media, then this could definitely be worth your money. As far as not drinking soda goes, the Freestyle machines have more than just soda in them, so don't let that limit you. (The husband and I have gotten this deal for our October sailing on Mariner.)