Leave Expensive Purse at Home?

My wife and I leave for our first cruise in a week. Our first port of call is Nassau.

My wife loves to carry around her very expensive (~$1000) Louis Vuitton purse. I have told her that bringing the purse is just a magnet for bad guys, knowing that it is valuable and most likely also has a $1000 cell phone in it. She wants to bring it.

I told her that I would ask the group here what their opinion is.

Please chime in and tell her what you think about it.

Thanks

Steven

My wife takes hers with her on the plane, but once she gets on the ship it gets locked up.

Taking it on shore is just an invitation for bad guys, as @Lovetocruise2002 says, we don't even take any of our jewelry with us, I have cheap watch that I take for the islands and leave my expensive one in the safe, no cell phones either, unless you are leaving little ones at home and it is for emergency contact.

My vote is to leave it locked in the cabin if you bring it aboard.  Even on the biggest of ships, how far can you get away from anything you could possibly need that's carried in in the purse?  You could be a gentleman in offering to carry some small 'freshen up' items like a tube of lipstick in your pants pockets on formal night, but beyond a sea pass card & a cell phone for pics/videos that can be carried in a pocket, I can't see where the big $ purse is worth the risk of losing.  Help me understand why even traveling to/from the cruise necessitates bringing such an expensive item.

1 hour ago, stevendom57 said:

Thanks guys. I knew what the answer would be, but she had to see it for herself. No lv on this cruise ?

There's times when a purse of that nature is appropriate, this just isn't one of them.

My wife & I went to a pre-season Cleveland Browns game against Philadelphia (we won 5-0!!!).  She brought her purse, but couldn't take it into the stadium.  We had to have it checked at a tent outside.  There was quite a lot of ladies in the same predicament.  The lady right behind us (Eagles fans) got so upset about paying the $10 fee, she told her husband to forget it, she was going to dump her purse in the trash &  get into the game.  My wife asked her if she could have the purse instead, which she was OK with & gave to her.  When Dianne checked out the price on line, the purse cost $144.  Throwing away $144 for $10.  With thinking like that, no wonder the Eagles lost!!!

Have a great cruise!!!

I found a great bag on sale at travesmith or ebags (yes, I buy too much LOL) that was super cute for a travel ready bag. It was med-dark blue and could work as everything from a handbag to a fanny pack to cross body bag. It wasn’t large, but definitely not tiny - basic lip stuff, iPhone 7 Plus, passport, this and that included!. It was great for our last cruise (those expensive bags tend to be big and I don’t want to haul one wherever I go, it’s as bad as when I use to haul a huge camera bag with me... ugh). She can be cute without the pricey purse (and the travel ones can be pricey enough FYI...). have fun ?

Lynn

We just returned from a cruise on Adventures of the Seas to Costa Maya and Cozumel and I noticed most people had little to no jewelry on them when they left the ship.  I hadn't thought about it but I had left mine in the safe because we were snorkeling and didn't want to attract the wrong fish attention.  Less is best when in foreign ports.

1 minute ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I don’t go anywhere without my gold submariner! I even buy pina coladas on the Allure of the seas with it on. We walked through downtown Nassau w/o any issues a few months ago. With that being said, if your concerned about theft then leave it on the ship. 

E565103F-AFCD-4AEC-9E20-4227D59859C3.jpeg

Well, judging by that ham hock fist you have and what it is probably attached to, WHO in their right ind is going to mess with you...with all due respect.:3_grin:

On 11/3/2018 at 8:04 PM, Salt Water Buckeye said:

There's times when a purse of that nature is appropriate, this just isn't one of them.

My wife & I went to a pre-season Cleveland Browns game against Philadelphia (we won 5-0!!!).  She brought her purse, but couldn't take it into the stadium.  We had to have it checked at a tent outside.  There was quite a lot of ladies in the same predicament.  The lady right behind us (Eagles fans) got so upset about paying the $10 fee, she told her husband to forget it, she was going to dump her purse in the trash &  get into the game.  My wife asked her if she could have the purse instead, which she was OK with & gave to her.  When Dianne checked out the price on line, the purse cost $144.  Throwing away $144 for $10.  With thinking like that, no wonder the Eagles lost!!!

Have a great cruise!!!

NFL stadium rules on bag size limitations are well-known. Those same rules apply to most college and MLB stadiums, too. Both your wife and the other woman should have been aware of the rules before they arrived.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:04 PM, Salt Water Buckeye said:

Have a great cruise!!!

She must have been still drunk from the Super Bowl celebration!!!! Go Birds 

Whether I would take along such a purse or not is irrelevant. Why should you make a decision based on MY personal levels of worry or confidence?

What's much more relevant is how YOU feel. Do you bring this purse along when you go to a restaurant, or to the movies, or to a shopping mall? Tell us how you fell in situations like those, and then we can intelligently discuss whether a cruise is similar to those or different from those.

Keeves, that is a good point. 

I live in an area with very low crime and yes, she takes it just about everywhere. 

But I am new to cruising and have never been to Nassau. I have read the US State Dept warning about Nassau and the various information from forums about the level of crime in Nassau.

I feel that we have come to our decision. She is going to leave the purse behind. it is not so much the fact that we would lose the purse and the contents if some ne'e-do-well decided that they needed the purse more than my wife, rather the possible physical injuries that could be sustained to us. It is just not worth it. 

Thanks for all the advice.