Self-service merchandise machines on Symphony of the Seas??

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

They serve a purpose to offer certain goods at any hour of the day.  You'd be surprised how useful something like this can be.  

The other benefit is it allows the cruise line to offer all of this, without taking up a lot of space for a traditional retail space. 

It looks horrible. I can just imagine what the pricing of these product offerings would be. I think RCCL is losing their "personal touch" with their clientele.  To me, nothing replaces that "one-on-one" sales experience. Now, imagine if you use your Sea Pass card to pay, assuming that is how these items will be paid, and your item either gets stuck or doesn't work??

anigif_enhanced-31594-1448983524-2.gif

21 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

It looks horrible. I can just imagine what the pricing of these product offerings would be. I think RCCL is losing their "personal touch" with their clientele.  To me, nothing replaces that "one-on-one" sales experience. Now, imagine if you use your Sea Pass card to pay, assuming that is how these items will be paid, and your item either gets stuck or doesn't work??

anigif_enhanced-31594-1448983524-2.gif

I would think that they would have someone on the ship at guest services to help with technical problems. I agree I prefer the traditional retail experience but I think these if not super overpriced provide a good service. Hopefully they won’t be overpriced. 

18 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

You always pay for convenience.......and to think they wont be overpriced is a joke.....if you believe that, I have a bridge........:4_joy:

Of course it will be overpriced. But will it be MORE overpriced than if sold in the shops? That's the real question...

I think its a good idea , 

After all its not coming instead the retail shop , they still offer many of the things in the regular shops , there are few advantages:

1. Ability to buy in the middle of the night (for example cold medicine , sunscreen before a shore excursion which you forgot to bring , buy before , run out of).

2. Ability to buy things which some people prefer to buy from a machine and not in person.

3. More variety , yes , its better to bring everything with you but it can happen that people forgets things.

And its not coming to replace anything , it is not taking that much space , even if you want you can not push over there another restaurant or a shop  

16 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

ow, imagine if you use your Sea Pass card to pay, assuming that is how these items will be paid, and your item either gets stuck or doesn't work??

Very simple , today the vending machines coming with sensors that can check if the item delivered or not (for example I bought a cable from such machine in the airport , the box did not arrived and I was not charged in my CC).

If the item dose not work , well lets say you bought something int he regular shop , you went and test it in your room and it did not work , I guess you will go back to the regular shop and ask to replace it , same here , I guess you will go tot he same shop talk to someone and it will be replaced.

The vending machine is not coming to replace the shop its an add on.    

18 hours ago, monctonguy said:

But I like the idea of the medical stuff....the rest is a waste of space...ur on a cruise..do you need to be buying ur kid a Nintendo DS...if you answer yes......:42_confused:

I agree that something like a Nintendo DS is pretty ridiculous (What's the cruise ship mark up on something like that?!?), but, I think things like chargers, earbuds/headphones, and batteries are definitely useful. (Thinking about the scenario in which they could get lost/forgotten on an excursion)

21 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

...I think RCCL is losing their "personal touch" with their clientele.  To me, nothing replaces that "one-on-one" sales experience....

Completely fair perspective for you to have - I'd never suggest your opinion is wrong (especially when submitted with such a great gif btw ? ).  I suspect that most guests are looking for quality service in many aspects of their cruise, but for buying a pair of headphones they forgot to bring, or some acetaminophen (two random examples), I think most guests just want their merch and aren't perusing the analgesics and personal audio device selection for the experience or ambiance.

Now, if you replace the MDR with an automat, that may be crossing a few lines ? 

I think this is a super idea. I will be sailing on the Symphony and I will look forward to this. Not sure if I will need to buy anything but it will be great to have the option. I love the convience of having the option though and not having to use the store especially if it is something import and the stores aren’t open. 

On 10/31/2018 at 11:31 AM, monorailmedic said:

I appreciate that I won't have to worry about shop hours for certain items.  I suspect however that these will remain off while in port, just like the shops do.

Yes, closed in port to avoid taxation issues or other in-country retail shopping laws.

The biggest benefit is access to certain OTC meds when the retail shop is closed.  Have a headache but don't need a trip to medical?  Use the dispenser. 

I had planned to do a post on them but need to take photos at night because of the glare coming in from daylight during the day.  There is also a charging station next to it.  Each bay is a locker with a PIN you assign.  Come back later and retrieve your device using your PIN.

2009297017_SymphonyDay1-39.thumb.jpg.7acdd2ec625e5b9af906627d8d4a9697.jpg

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

There is also a charging station next to it.  Each bay is a locker with a PIN you assign.  Come back later and retrieve your device using your PIN.

2009297017_SymphonyDay1-39.thumb.jpg.7acdd2ec625e5b9af906627d8d4a9697.jpg

This won't fly as we all know that we treat our smartphones better than we do our kids. Most people would rather put their kids in the daycare than put their smartphone in one of these bays. One word or is it two? ... Power Bank!  Small & portable !!  :4_joy:

On 10/31/2018 at 12:22 PM, monctonguy said:

You always pay for convenience.......and to think they wont be overpriced is a joke.....if you believe that, I have a bridge........:4_joy:

But I like the idea of the medical stuff....the rest is a waste of space...ur on a cruise..do you need to be buying ur kid a Nintendo DS...if you answer yes......:42_confused:

I agree. I actually think there should be more of these vending machines with convenience items located throughout the ship. It’s only tacky and unsightly until you need the stuff!!! 

8 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

Most people would rather put their kids in the daycare than put their smartphone in one of these bays. One word or is it two? ... Power Bank!  Small & portable

Use it to charge the power bank. When needed it will be full and kept safe.