Travel Insurance Question

RRoman7

Our entire family is booked on a cruise in a few weeks.  My in-laws have paid for 3 cabins and the travel insurance for each (theirs, ours and my brother-in-law's family).  We are also a group booking of 8 cabins (of other family members/friends).  My father-in-law went to the hospital last Sunday due to extremely bad pain in his back and leg.  Without boring you with all the details, he is still in pain and having trouble walking/getting around and we are awaiting the diagnosis after an MRI on Friday afternoon.  What I am trying to figure out is IF he has to cancel the cruise due to his medical condition, would we also be able to cancel and get their money back for our cabin and my BIL's cabin since he is a traveling companion (even though we are not in the same cabins?).  I keep reading the insurance documents and I just can't figure it out!

12 minutes ago, rjac said:

I recommend you call the insurance folks. :27_sunglasses:

Thanks.  I was just trying to see if anyone has had a similar experience.  Will reach out to the insurance company once I know what's going to happen.  If my in-laws can't go we won't be going without them.  The cruise is to celebrate their 50th anniversary.

Sorry to hear that your father -in-law isnt feeling well. I was booked on a family cruise (not a group but we had 3 cabins) in 2016 on the Oasis. My father got ill and my brother tore his achilles a month prior. Thankfully we all had travel insurance and although me and my BF were in the 3rd cabin and werent sick or injured we were all able to cancel and get our money back. We rescheduled for later that year.

I would check your soecific policy but in our case but we were all able to get a refund.

7 minutes ago, Steph215 said:

Sorry to hear that your father -in-law isnt feeling well. I was booked on a family cruise (not a group but we had 3 cabins) in 2016 on the Oasis. My father got ill and my brother tore his achilles a month prior. Thankfully we all had travel insurance and although me and my BF were in the 3rd cabin and werent sick or injured we were all able to cancel and get our money back. We rescheduled for later that year.

I would check your soecific policy but in our case but we were all able to get a refund.

Thank you for your response.  This gives me some hope that if we do have to cancel my in-laws may get their money back for our cabin as well.  Still hoping he will feel ok by the time of the cruise and will be able to go.  Finger's crossed as we would like for them to be able to enjoy their anniversary vacation.

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2018 at 8:26 PM, Steph215 said:

What travel insurance did you use?  My travel agent is pushing Travel Guard - anyone have any experience with them?  Thanks!