Priority boarding for Diamond and Diamond plus gone?

Just heard that Port Canaveral and Port Everglades and Miami no longer have priority boarding for anyone except Pinnacle and Suites. Heard this took effect last week! Is this true? Why is Royal taking away all of the perks? Is there going to be no loyalty program going forward? I really enjoyed this perk, as it made it easy to get through security and checked in and on the ship! Guess if true, there is no need to remain loyal, will try other cruise lines that I have been eyeing. We were 13 points away from Diamond Plus, but, really what is the point?! I’m sure other perks will disappear also! Very sad! 

34 minutes ago, mbk999 said:

Two weeks ago they did call Diamond Plus and Diamond at Port Everglades. They did a poor job of policing it but they were seating and calling people by C&A levels 

I was told this started last week. People boarding this weekend seem to be posting the change. One person who boarded last weekend on Enchanment, out of Port Canaveral also noted the change. Enquired and was told the change occurred last week. Don’t understand how this is saving them money to take this perk away!? It was one of the few left that was beneficial. 

14 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

I guess "loyalty" means nothing to RCCL. If that's the case, since being Diamond + will then be treated the same as the other levels, I'll take my business elsewhere. 

Loyalty to Royal just means: costs more and pays less than people who don't know better - not surprising they don't love us anymore given the need to post ever higher record profits but it is disappointing.

Perhaps it is related to the sheer number of people who are at various levels for a given sailing. On some sailings, the "top tier event" is for Diamond + and above. On others, it is for Platinum and above.

Large number of suites on the bigger ships plus the high number of Diamond members in Florida may make it so that that the expedited line would be overwhelmed.

We've been cruising with Royal since the 80's and watched them nickel and dime their loyal repeat passengers (their "bread and butter" as they like to say) and have also cut back loyalty perks.  The final straw was this last May when we sailed on the Adventure and the Loyalty Ambassador completely overlooked us, we didn't receive a single communication or invite from him (even after we stopped off at the Diamond Lounge and mentioned to him that it was our first cruise as Diamond Plus).  So now we show Royal the same loyalty they show us, we're booked on the MSC Seaside in February, MSC actually matches passengers loyalty status from other lines (see link below).  The best part, we're paying for the cruise 100% with our Royal dividends we recieve!  Like Royal obviously thinks about it, nothing personal, it's just business!

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Loyalty-Match-Program.aspx

27 minutes ago, Jjohnb said:

We've been cruising with Royal since the 80's and watched them nickel and dime their loyal repeat passengers (their "bread and butter" as they like to say) and have also cut back loyalty perks.  The final straw was this last May when we sailed on the Adventure and the Loyalty Ambassador completely overlooked us, we didn't receive a single communication or invite from him (even after we stopped off at the Diamond Lounge and mentioned to him that it was our first cruise as Diamond Plus).  So now we show Royal the same loyalty they show us, we're booked on the MSC Seaside in February, MSC actually matches passengers loyalty status from other lines (see link below).  The best part, we're paying for the cruise 100% with our Royal dividends we recieve!  Like Royal obviously thinks about it, nothing personal, it's just business!

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Loyalty-Match-Program.aspx

I-Love-It-Graphic.gif

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Before jumping the gun on this, can we confirm this is actually a thing and not just a random one-off situation and/or a mis communication?

That is what I am trying to find out. Have heard from fellow Diamond Plus who have left out of three Florida ports this past weekend, that had this happen to them. Was wondering if this is going to be the case going forward. A confirmation from Royal would be great! 

• 1 month later...

We sailed on the Oasis of the Seas 2-9 December.  Port Canaveral only removed the Diamond/Diamond Plus lanes for the security screening.  After that, nothing changed.  The priority check-in lanes still existed for us.  They still have a Diamond seating area and the Diamond Plus folks sit in the VIP area with the Pinnacles & suite guests while waiting to board.  Additionally, Diamonds still board before the lower loyalty individuals.  Here's a copy of the onboard Diamond perks from the cruise for reference.  Notice the new solo vodka selection which seemed new to us.  2-9 Dec 2018_Diamond Perks_Oasis of the Seas.pdf

There are two elements to consider.  The pre-security line to enter the terminal and then the actual boarding after check-in once the ship is cleared to board.

D+ don't seem to be allowed into the pre-security Suites/Pinnacle line.  I don't recall if this was an official benefit or just something that some ports allowed.  This is specific to the pre-security line to access the terminal.  I don't recall ever seeing that as a published list of D+ perks on the website.  

For what it's worth, boarding Navigator on 12/7 there was no Suites/Pinnacle pre-security line at terminal G in Miami.  Everyone went into the same queue.  Once upstairs post-security there were separate queues.

22 minutes ago, twangster said:

For what it's worth, boarding Navigator on 12/7 there was no Suites/Pinnacle pre-security line at terminal G in Miami.  Everyone went into the same queue.  Once upstairs post-security there were separate queues.

We ran in to this once in Galveston also, either we were early or opening the security door was late, but everyone was in one queue until you got inside.

There were definitely some changes we noticed since our last cruise!!  My wife and I boarded the Enchantment last Friday at Port Canaveral.  I didn't notice if there was a D+ line through security, as we blazed through using the Suite line.  Once through that, we went to the Suite line at the counter, which was next to the D+ line.  Turns out we didn't even need to go to the counter - since we had uploaded recent photos when we did our online check in (totally different than it used to be - but it is quick and easy now!!) and the sign & sail form we printed out at home allowed us to directly board the ship.  The room keys they used to give you at the counter are now waiting for you on your cabin door, which you can get to at 1:30.  It was a little eerie having the room keys stuck on the door, but since your luggage isn't in the room, nobody could gain anything by swiping them.

That new process really did expedite the boarding process.  Kudos to RC for doing some thing new!  It was weird boarding the ship without our sea passes in hand, but total time from drop off to walking on the ship was about five minutes. 

2 hours ago, NeonD7 said:

Turns out we didn't even need to go to the counter - since we had uploaded recent photos when we did our online check in (totally different than it used to be - but it is quick and easy now!!) and the sign & sail form we printed out at home allowed us to directly board the ship.

That's different (and better!) than my experience on Anthem last October. We uploaded our photos and they were accepted when we got to the Suites counter, but they still swiped our passports through some kind of reader that validated our ID, and all suite guests had to do that or otherwise have ID validated before boarding. Might be because Cape Liberty also uses those new cameras at disembarkation, where you just stand in front of one and get face-scanned, and then you're clear to go. We never had to show our passports on the way out, was amazingly fast clearing customs!

8 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

I can almost guarantee you that this perk for Diamond and Diamond + will go away in the next year permanently.  And guess what they replaced it with "The Key"   Loyal people to RCCL will not generate the 24.99 per day charge!  As one on this board will always say it's all about the profit!

we-got-a-z2wgvu.jpg

Maybe I'm just confused....but I don't think that priority security lines have ever been a C&A perk.  I know that priority boarding lines are....and to my knowledge, they are all still in place once you get through security and into the terminal.  ..but the only priority security lines I have ever noticed before are for Suites/Pinnacles.

Thinking back at all my cruises this year...

Don't recall any of the security lines being Diamond Plus, Suite, and Pinnacle. All had been Suite and Pinnacle.

Sailed out of Port Canaveral (T1), Port Everglades (T18), Tampa (T3 and 6), and Miami (T-A) this year.

T6 in Tampa lacked any signage prior to entering the terminal. Everyone had to wait in the same line just to enter the terminal for security screening. Once at the entrance you could see a line for Suite and Pinnacle security screening.

In October sailing out of Baltimore the initial security check had a priority line for Emerald and above verifying that you had a set sail pass and passport, but once past that step everyone went through the same metal detectors.

It obviously depends on port AND what "level" of passengers get priority depends on how many there are at or above certain levels on the sailing.

1 hour ago, HeWhoWaits said:

It obviously depends on port AND what "level" of passengers get priority depends on how many there are at or above certain levels on the sailing.

+1 to this.

Cape Liberty port had a dedicated Suites line for security as well as check-in. But in Port Everglades it was just one big line for everyone at Security; no status lines until check-in.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

But in Port Everglades it was just one big line for everyone at Security; no status lines until check-in.

Are you sure, Joe ?  I'm pretty sure there is a suites/pinnacles security entrance at PE.  I know for sure there is a separate Star Class entrance and I'm pretty sure there is a separate suites/pinnacles entrance as well.

33 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Are you sure, Joe ?

Well, at least when I went in April we all got herded through only one door into the warehouse terminal building, and that in turn fed into a single long security line with about 4 or 5 metal detectors and carry-on x-ray machines at the end; but it's possible I missed a door off to the side that was dedicated to suites and Pinnacle guests. I was kind of awestruck seeing Freedom for the first time, and being all caught up in the experience of first-ever cruise. ?

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Well, at least when I went in April we all got herded through only one door into the warehouse terminal building, and that in turn fed into a single long security line with about 4 or 5 metal detectors and carry-on x-ray machines at the end; but it's possible I missed a door off to the side that was dedicated to suites and Pinnacle guests. I was kind of awestruck seeing Freedom for the first time, and being all caught up in the experience of first-ever cruise. ?

I think you may have missed it.  There was a Suites entrance with a large changeable message sign that said "Suites" for my Independence sailing in November out of Port Everglades.  

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Are you sure, Joe ?  I'm pretty sure there is a suites/pinnacles security entrance at PE.  I know for sure there is a separate Star Class entrance and I'm pretty sure there is a separate suites/pinnacles entrance as well.

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

29 minutes ago, melski94 said:

I think you may have missed it.  There was a Suites entrance with a large changeable message sign that said "Suites" for my Independence sailing in November out of Port Everglades.  

I think I've solved the mystery.  You are all likely correct.  @melski94 and @WAAAYTOOO you are referring to Terminal 18 at PE right?  To my knowledge, there is separate suites entrance there.  However, @JLMoran left from Terminal 29 at PE and perhaps there really is no separate entrance there.  I have never been to T29, so I cannot say first hand.  But I'll give Joe the benefit of the doubt. ?