The Love Boat

PG Cruiser

The cast of the Love Boat had a reunion on The Today show today.  One of them said that the show "created an industry... that used to be only for affluent people."   Agree or disagree?

I watched this show in my native country growing up and I must admit it developed in me an interest in cruising. Add to that a good number of people in my circle getting jobs in different departments on cruise ships . Before the day of live blogs and periscopes, I would say I got to "cruise vicariously" through them. 

I remember saying to myself, "I'd like to go on a cruise someday".  I think I'm beginning to see the fulfillment of that childhood dream.

• 1 month later...

Took my very first cruise in 1985 on the SS Norway BECAUSE of that show. Turned 18 on that cruise, had my first beer and played my first slots on that cruise. We were seated at the Captain's table every night. No MDR and specialty restaurants back then. Just THE Dining Room. Never ended up on Fantasy Island, though!

I would say it strongly influenced the industry simply because the industry existed before the TV show.  

Royal Caribbean was founded in 1968 to capitalize on the craze of cruising.  Royal did so well in the early 70's that they started stretching it's ships so they could hold even more people.    The first such stretching occurred in 1978, during the first year run of the Love Boat. 

So to state 'The Love Boat created an industry that was for affluent people only" is inaccurate.  The industry was already heading that way with each bed being added to each ship.  The TV show was also trying to capitalize on the growing popularity of cruising.  It helped take it to new levels but it didn't create an industry.  

• 4 weeks later...