Fewer Guests = Moved to another room?

Hello!

We booked 4 rooms on Freedom of the Seas MONTHs ago.  We were very specific in the place, type, number (not "guaranteed") and other cabin detail when selecting them.

Unfortunately, we have a situation where we booked a balcony cabin for 3 people.  One is no longer able to attend.  We're happy to pay for the room & 3 people.  Even so we've been told by both the cruise line and our travel agent that because our room "sleeps 3" that if we drop to two people, we'll be moved to a "sleeps 2" cabin... none of which are balconies.

Is this the reality of it? Or am I missing something?  And if it is real, what are the best ways to keep our room?

Thanks all!

If you are happy to pay for the third person who will not be joining you, there's no need to even mention it until you actually board the ship.

Just tell them it was a last minute thing, the person was unable to come, and it will be too late for them to move you to another cabin anyway.

The only time I would bother telling them in advance would be if I wanted to get some money back.

The number per cabin is usually stated as a maximum not a minimum.  Normal occupancy is viewed as two per stateroom.  Usually the only “penalty” is if you are one.  The third person in a cabin is usually a lower rate.  It should be possible to drop the third person and keep the stateroom.  It sounds suspicious that they will move you to another stateroom if you have at least two.  There must be more to this story.

It is a thing that cabins for triple/quad occupancy are not (usually) offered for double occupancy and that if you are changing your reservation to double occupancy from triple occupancy they MAY make you change cabin and MAY also reprice the cabin to current rates.

Some people (including me) have been told that by RCL when inquiring. In my case I ended up keeping the reservation as a triple since the price for two of us in a double was going to be more than for three of us in a triple, ultimately my wife ended up joining us so no harm no foul.

On a separate occasion I didn't call to ask about it but at the last minute my wife wasn't able to go, so son and I showed up at the pier and checked in with no issue. They refunded her taxes and port fees after the cruise.

Unless you will save significantly by cancelling the third person, just don't say anything until you check in at the pier. At that point they will not be able to move you to a new cabin and you will get the small refund of taxes&fees still.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

If the third person isnt going and you aren't interested in a price change, just leave things as they are.  RC does not care if the people booked actually show up or not.

If they will let RC about only two people in the room after boarding will they still get the tax and ports fee back  (+ gratitude) ?

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

If they will let RC about only two people in the room after boarding will they still get the tax and ports fee back  (+ gratitude) ?

Yes, the taxes and fees are not revenue to RCI they are pass through to the governments involved. I almost think it is a mandatory refund and you don't have to ask (I am sure they submit an official manifest along with $X per person to each government) but I would ask at guest services to make sure they process it.

On 10/26/2018 at 1:09 PM, jticarruthers said:

Yes, the taxes and fees are not revenue to RCI they are pass through to the governments involved. I almost think it is a mandatory refund and you don't have to ask (I am sure they submit an official manifest along with $X per person to each government) but I would ask at guest services to make sure they process it.

Very good to know - thank you!