Refundable vs Non-refundable

Yes, you change from refundable to non refundable up until final payment BUT they will reprice your cruisefare to the rate at the time that you make the change and as a rule, the cruisefare will be higher than it was when you originally booked.  So most of the time, it will not make financial sense to make such a change. If however, your cruisefare has uncharacteristically gone down in price, it will pay to change from refundable to non refundable.

56 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes, you change from refundable to non refundable up until final payment BUT they will reprice your cruisefare to the rate at the time that you make the change and as a rule, the cruisefare will be higher than it was when you originally booked.  So most of the time, it will not make financial sense to make such a change. If however, your cruisefare has uncharacteristically gone down in price, it will pay to change from refundable to non refundable.

In addition, you will incur a penalty.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Makes total sense. Thanks for mapping it out. 

48 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

Well my sister won’t like that. Thanks as well.

1 hour ago, princevaliantus said:

28 minutes ago, CruisinUngs said:

Makes total sense. Thanks for mapping it out. 

Well my sister won’t like that. Thanks as well.

To be clear, the penalty is only if you were to then make another change that alters either the sailing date or ship, or possibly if you switched back from non-refundable to refundable.

Actually changing an existing reservation from refundable to non-refundable incurs no penalty at all. I did this myself for the Bermuda cruise I just finished when a BOGO60 sale came along that dropped the prices on all room categories just a few months after I'd originally booked. No penalty assessed, and I was even able to swing an upgrade from my balcony room to a Junior Suite with the price gap now around $500 instead of over $1,000.

8 hours ago, JLMoran said:

To be clear, the penalty is only if you were to then make another change that alters either the sailing date or ship, or possibly if you switched back from non-refundable to refundable.

Actually changing an existing reservation from refundable to non-refundable incurs no penalty at all. I did this myself for the Bermuda cruise I just finished when a BOGO60 sale came along that dropped the prices on all room categories just a few months after I'd originally booked. No penalty assessed, and I was even able to swing an upgrade from my balcony room to a Junior Suite with the price gap now around $500 instead of over $1,000.

Actually, you are mistaken. IF you booked a non-refundable and changed it to a refundable within the 30 day window, you will NOT incur a penalty. After that 30 day window, you will incur a penalty.  This comes from RCCL directly. Now, it is known that some TA's will circumvent and/or absorb this penalty fee in order to keep their loyal clientele happy.  I know a few that use this practice.

2 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

Actually, you are mistaken. IF you booked a non-refundable and changed it to a refundable within the 30 day window, you will NOT incur a penalty. After that 30 day window, you will incur a penalty.  This comes from RCCL directly. Now, it is known that some TA's will circumvent and/or absorb this penalty fee in order to keep their loyal clientele happy.  I know a few that use this practice.

Prince, you're going in the wrong direction. The OP and I are both talking about going from refundable to non-refundable. That direction has no penalty, regardless of how far out from original booking you are

2 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Prince, you're going in the wrong direction. The OP and I are both talking about going from refundable to non-refundable. That direction has no penalty, regardless of how far out from original booking you are

Whoops!!!! Sorry about that. See why I need another cruise!!! 21 days and counting!

Homer-simpson-quotes-doh-i11.jpg

2 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

Whoops!!!! Sorry about that. See why I need another cruise!!! 21 days and counting!

Please no worries at all. Too much information and changes. Appreciate you helping!

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I've done a change from refundable to non-refundable right before final payment date once or twice.  Oddly it saved me some money, which is the only reason I did it.

Yes that’s the only reason I can think of as well. Which leads to why you should get a TA! So they can watch all that stuff for you.

I have done it on a couple of reservations where I was pretty sure when I booked it but wanted the refundability just in case and then once I felt really confident switched to non-refundable since it was cheaper ... coming back to bite me though as my wife is now less certain than I am on one of them :(

18 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

I have done it on a couple of reservations where I was pretty sure when I booked it but wanted the refundability just in case and then once I felt really confident switched to non-refundable since it was cheaper ... coming back to bite me though as my wife is now less certain than I am on one of them ?

Yeah seems like it can be a gamble to switch over to non-refundable. Thanks for sharing your situation.