Symphony OTS Live! - Transatlantic Oct. 28, 2018 "Coming to America"

twangster

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I'm going to sit this Serenade out.  I've got a lot of work this week, won't be doing very much in port most days.  I've been to all these ports several times so no loss.  

I would have loved to know your opinion on how smaller ships compare to an Oasis class when there are limited choices for activities and dining. Really wanted to see this ship through your lens.

I found your previous blog on Serenade, unfortunately most of your great photos are deleted, but I got this nice summary:

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:13 PM, twangster said:

Cruise Summary

I really enjoyed my first Radiance class experience.  Compared to the Vision class it is greatly improved.  With all the glass around the Centrum you definitely feel connected to the sea.

Things I liked about Serenade:

• Aft outdoor seating in the Windjammer where I ate most of my WJ meals.
  • Vintages wine bar with awesome seas views
  • Pub with live music
  • Centrum with different music at different times
  • Solarium especially when the roof was opened
  • Decent Voom experience (despite some issues with throttling)
  • Easy to get around 
  • Glass outward facing elevators
  • Good MDR experience
  • Great service (except Chops)
  • Helipad access

I have sister ships Brilliance and Jewel on my future cruises list and have no concerns now about booking these ships.

I enjoyed each port and was happy with the excursions I booked.  

Ten nights is a nice length.  

I'm keeping an eye on a Serenade cruise in the fall as I'd have no issues sailing this ship again.

Thanks, Twangbot.  Great blog as always.

Disappointed to hear that the vending machines are closed while the ship is in port.  I understand why...it's just that I thought that the entire reason for having the vending machines was to make these much-needed items available when the ship's stores were otherwise closed.  Thanks for making that clear.

On 11/5/2018 at 7:04 AM, twangster said:

Day 8 - Sea Day

Plants used within Central Park and subject to the agricultural restrictions of each country visited.  Even though she was first built out in Europe they had to choose plants that are approved by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for her arrival in America.  Upon our arrival they will send inspectors to the ship to check each and every plant to confirm it meets USDA regulations.  

Many countries do the same on a periodic basis, even some smaller Caribbean nations although Laszlo suspects some of them just want to see the ship and enjoy a lunch aboard.  None the less protocol requires they allow these inspections to occur for every country the ship visits.

Australia has some of the toughest agriculture regulations and for this reason it is unlikely they will ever send an Oasis class to Australia because they would pretty much have to strip Central Park bare and start all over with local Australian vegetation.   

Certainly true about Australia - as an island nation (but it's a pretty big island!), we have a very unique ecosystem and yes, we're very strict on flora/fauna crossing our border. 

Guess if I want to sail on an Oasis-class ship, I'll have to do it from the US. Factoring that into my super sweet 60th trip in 2022 as we speak!

Great blog, @twangster - RCI should have you on the payroll, given how many people you convince to cruise (more) with these blogs! ?