Symphony OTS Live! - Transatlantic Oct. 28, 2018 "Coming to America"

twangster

I think I found a new piece of tech on the ship. 

In the app I noticed an icon so being the curious person I am had to push the button.

9PXvaIh.jpg

That brought up my camera as if I was supposed to scan something with my phone.

pbR8IeN.jpg

So off to deck 12 I went!

There I found a headless Captain.

hczvVqE.jpg

Beside the artwork is the symbol I was sent to seek.

Y8fY5YW.jpg

This launches a sequence where you seem to be zooming through walls and the cabins in between where you are standing and the bridge, then you are presented a live camera on the bridge.

CE973aa.jpg

Here is a video that shows it in action:

Unfortunately it seems to be a work in progress and not stable.  It works at times and other times it doesn't. 

Cool idea though.

Day 5 - Sea Day

Time change this morning (and for the next four nights).  

I awoke and wanting to check the time I found the ship time in Royal app had the right time but the itinerary channel on RCTV was still on the old time.

Seas have calmed a bit.  Temperature warmer at 66°F. 

Sunrise was nothing special. 

LUJAtL8.jpg

I needed to kill some time before Johnny Rockets opened for breakfast so I walked the track on deck 5.

1L0BOdW.jpg

Cc4rkPM.jpg

Like Harmony there are two viewing areas forward of the life boats.

One has shuffle board

nzGeher.jpg

The other has ping pong tables.

0ln5qRo.jpg

Needing to wait a few more minutes before JR opened I found an empty Promenade.

fl2e1PN.jpg

2Agx9jh.jpg

On each Oasis sister this artwork is a little different:

eAHwZq7.jpg

VKq2hRV.jpg

mpbCoHW.jpg

Dazzles was empty.

zlNgkFr.jpg

FB1Nqju.jpg

With that it was time for breakfast.

They are adding a cover over the Solarium Bar.  I guess in the rain this bar has become wet.  I'm surprised they didn't think of this during planning and design.  At any rate they installed the structure of the cover, cutting up ceramic tile flooring and anchoring the four corner posts to the floor.  

For the first few days the stairs down to the lower level of the Solarium and pool access was closed.  Given the weather that hasn't been a big deal.  At least now the stairs and pool are open again. 

pXTbOl6.jpg

EgFb9FH.jpg

On 10/29/2018 at 9:01 AM, twangster said:

I went to Boleros to see if I could trade in a previous Wow band.  My old one had a muster station printed on it.  On Anthem they would not allow me to trade in my Wow band and required me to purchase a new one because the muster station from Harmony was different than my Anthem muster station. 

I was pleased to discover that Symphony accepted my old "Muster Station E2" Wow band and gave me a new one that has no muster station on it.   No charge.

On Harmony they sold me a WOW band with a complete different Muster Station than mine. I told them and they couldn't care less about it.

They should had activated your band on Anthem. 

2 hours ago, carlosalonsor said:

On Harmony they sold me a WOW band with a complete different Muster Station than mine. I told them and they couldn't care less about it.

They should had activated your band on Anthem. 

Anthem wouldn't do a trade or activate them with the wrong muster.  In fact I was changing cabins on a B2B and they were very specific, If I had a different muster station on the 2nd leg, I'd have to buy yet another Wow band.  

Consequently I was very happy to get generic non-muster Wow bands on Symphony so I can use them on Anthem if I sail her again.  

54 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I think they did near the sports area...near the living room and mini bites

Right.  I was referring to the deck 5 viewing areas that are off the running track.  On Harmony I thought there was just seating there.  I was surprised to see ping pong tables at this location on Symphony.  I like it, no wind, low traffic.  Given how Oasis class kind of suffers from a lack sea view access, it's great to see them utilizing these areas for more.

Day 5 - Dinner

My Time Dining 

So far I've split my dining in two different sections of the deck 4 MDR.  They do try to keep you with the same wait staff but some times that just isn't possible.  Both wait staff in both sections have been very good.  

AYv7BSD.jpg

Arugula & Radicchio Salad.  Very tasty.

HkUdYwk.jpg

Chicken Cordon Bleu

hTY5TqH.jpg

The lady at the table next to me had ordered the Chicken Cordon Bleu and it looked quite nice when she received it so I went with it.  Mine must have been on the upper rack of the oven closer to the heat.  It looked well done, burnt a little and as if it was butterflied then the top piece unceremoniously dropped on the bottom piece of chicken.  Even the ham within had burnt edges. 

No dessert tonight, I am not a big dessert person and simply can't do dessert night after night.  

I understand cooking for thousands has challenges and I suffered from that tonight.   

The salad was the highlight of this meal.

Top Tier Event - Main Theater

The Top Tier event was split into two sessions to accommodate the numbers involved.

Three loyalty ambassadors on board.  They took all the cruise points for all C&A guests on board and added them up.  When summed, 781,230 collective points, which equates to "2,140 years of cruising experience crossing the Atlantic" as she phrased it.

4,552 C&A members on board.  

Gold - 739

Platinum - 576 

Emerald - 421

Diamond - 1,347

Diamond Plus - 1,242

Pinnacle - 227

Five couples became Pinnacle on the cruise.

Over 400 crystal blocks awarded.  There are so many they will need to distribute them over several days.   As she put it, once the blocks disembark with their guests the ship will rise in the water there are so many blocks going home. 

The Captain gave a nice speech and many senior officers joined him on stage.  He joked "I know what you are thinking, if we are all here..."  

Loyalty pays.

The second weather and course update on RCTV was made available today.  In it the Captain explains the factors that can influence the feeling of motion on a ship.  I've always known there is more to it that "big wind means big waves means motion" and Captain Rob did a good job explaining it here.

As a cruise geek I love that they take the time and effort to make these videos available on RCTV.

4 hours ago, GoodSmith said:

Didn't know Johnny Rockets breakfast is included in the cruise fare. Also so many people boarded the ship prepared with their Halloween costumes!

Captain Rob videos are superb! Gives another dimension to living this blog.

But how does someone get a glass block?

JR breakfast on Oasis class only.  

Crystal blocks are earned starting at 140 points in the loyalty program, the Crown and Anchor Society.  After 140 points it's every 70 thereafter.  

Day 5 - Late Night

I thought I'd check out some smoother music in Jazz on 4.  The Kellough-Carter Jazz Experience were playing.

2sgmuMm.jpg

Very good.

6wOFMw6.jpg

Thirsty for more I had a very good Mojito in Boleros with some latin dance music courtesy of Latino Heat.

93cu30j.jpg

Time for bed, but a quick look to see what was on the menu tonight at Sorrento's

bEvUhx0.jpg

I resisted and made it back to my cabin without any more pizza in my belly.

Day 6 Update

Glorious day here somewhere in the Atlantic.  A perfect 72°F with little humidity.  Winds are from aft so with our forward motion there is very little 'felt' wind across the deck. 

With blue skies and full sun I took the opportunity to take some pictures.

HM3ZJHl.jpg

Like Harmony there are port and starboard bridge wings. 

4EjbP3X.jpg 

Port side features 'King of the World' like Harmony with a glass floor looking straight down to the sea.

JshRyBO.jpg

n8hKWF7.jpg

Onward, straight to America!

m0lntDA.jpg

The view aft:

bLkQWxY.jpg

Starboard bridge wing.

Snhx04r.jpg

WE1BGTA.jpg

This is the busiest I have seen the Solarium.  With the new layout it does feel a little smaller than Harmony's Solarium.  In some ways it's more open yet seating seems less to me.  I'll have to sail Harmony again to compare ?.

HSC88P0.jpg

The hard glass/plastic ceiling works better than's Harmony's vinyl ceiling.

CGXKrP0.jpg

The pool on the lower level has a glass front with rippling water flowing over the face of the base.

G5TnCrW.jpg

sc6Rz0T.jpg

The Solarium Bar remains closed due to construction.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Hooked has a nightly happy hour.  For $10 you get a drink and an appetizer.

Can you grab a photo of the sign that advertises this, along with maybe the appetizer menu? I think this would be a great blog post.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Can you grab a photo of the sign that advertises this, along with maybe the appetizer menu? I think this would be a great blog post.

No menu.  The appetizer with the happy hour special is fixed for the night.  You have to ask.  Crab cakes, lobster, raw oysters, etc.  It rotates, but not published.    

Day 6 - continued...

Tempted by the Hooked Happy Hour I headed there at 5pm.  

The deck 16 elevator lobby view towards Central Park.

InsxZpw.jpg

v6c3TqK.jpg

D5lripJ.jpg

Hooked has a bar in the center flanked by seating on port and starboard.

vszmrmG.jpg

sPRfsNU.jpg

mErcQgA.jpg

The bar is a full service bar and on this night it honored Diamond Happy Hour drinks but I was more intrigued by the Hooked Happy Hour offer.  For $10 you can have the nightly happy hour appetizer and a beer or glass of wine.  Tonight's appetizer was 6 raw oysters.  The happy hour appetizer changes from night to night.

8mxVhcY.jpg

dVII2cf.jpg

nyTnabm.jpg

Oysters aren't my thing so I passed.  

The bar is open to the public as any bar on the ship is.  Given the lack of bars that have an outside view on Oasis class in general this is great bar albeit a little on the small side once the masses find it.

Here is the regular Hooked dinner menu:

ZRmOKEa.jpg

Wine list:

3dnTPol.jpg