Symphony OTS Live! - Transatlantic Oct. 28, 2018 "Coming to America"

twangster

Day 3 - Hairspray

Let me start by saying I'm not into musicals.  In the past if I were asked to go to a musical I would rank it right there with "Go to the hair salon with me" or "Help me pick out a dress".  When Hairspray was first announced for Symphony of the Seas I paid it little attention because I had somewhat already decided to pass.

Since that time I have be able to go on a number of back stage entertainment tours on various Royal ships.  On those I learned a lot of technical details and the level of effort that Royal Caribbean puts into its shows.   When Symphony first started sailing earlier this, Hairspray was getting pretty great reviews.  Consequently I settled on taking in this show, after all, we have 12 nights on this sailing so why not?

I'll let the pictures tell the story.

ot0kjCe.jpg

BEfQNOW.jpg

1V834VF.jpg

gUAti69.jpg

bVz3vCm.jpg

sk0vuv2.jpg

dB2Qz2X.jpg

vpLFP3X.jpg

m08Dloz.jpg

z6NITWf.jpg

1VJJtlh.jpg

1F8G5f4.jpg

QFDqNV0.jpg

QuU3wAc.jpg

KHmxghA.jpg

Q6uO2r1.jpg

LR64ugu.jpg

LqTr0iP.jpg

Jj66yGs.jpg

jMPNN4h.jpg

U61x0tV.jpg

WkvvDJP.jpg

wOjoP55.jpg

sHgMrtu.jpg

FxfOR2E.jpg

lITPqMP.jpg

J7YK2fV.jpg

ty6r8KM.jpg

JEjeMOX.jpg

The music was good, the vocals were strong and the cast did a great job.  I never found it dragging or felt the need to come up with an excuse to leave.  It was a great performance and I highly recommend it, even for the non-musical types. 

If you've sailed Harmony and you couldn't find an excuse to book Symphony this just may be it.

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

What lens did you use for the Hairspray photos? I always struggle with show photos in terms of getting not fuzzy photos and especially lighting.

Wide angle shots from my RX100M6 combined with a 70-300mm zoom on my A7III. 

The trick is setting a high enough shutter speed while not pushing the ISO too far.  With it's low noise profile the A7III does at great job for this use case.

Thanks @Matt for asking that question and @twangster for the answer.  I have been wondering the same with the fabulous photos of both the ice show and musical.  Can you go any further into the deep dark proprietary details on what ISO / Shutter combo you used on some of the shots?

Also a quick thanks for the live blog in general.  Wonderful work as always!

8 minutes ago, mvannie said:

Thanks @Matt for asking that question and @twangster for the answer.  I have been wondering the same with the fabulous photos of both the ice show and musical.  Can you go any further into the deep dark proprietary details on what ISO / Shutter combo you used on some of the shots?

Also a quick thanks for the live blog in general.  Wonderful work as always!

A shutter speed of 1/250th for a show like Hairspray minimize blur as the cast moves. 

I leave my ISO on auto so depending on lighting it will vary shot to shot.  A film concept, ISO values increase with sensitivity.  The problem is so does grain and noise.  In full outdoor lighting 100 ISO yields very little grain or noise.  In the dark, at 6,400 ISO there is more noise with a digital camera.  Since I shoot in RAW I have to remove that noise in Lightroom.  Newer cameras have a better ISO noise profile so you can push the limits well past where you could with older digital cameras and the result is the photos you see.  A number are shot at ISO 6,400 the cap I have set for my camera.  It can go higher but I find 6,400 provides good results that are easy to fix in post.

I also shoot in burst mode, taking many pictures very quickly.  Later I can step through them like frames in a video and find the best facial expressions.

To be even better full manual would work best but given that I am on a cruise there is often some drinking involved so partial automation usually gets me in the right neighborhood so I can fix it later which is the main benefit of shooting in RAW.

I had a 6pm My Time reservation that I skipped so I could see Hairspray.  I went to the My Time non-reservation line since it was well past my reservation at this point.  At 8:15pm through 8:35pm I had moved about 20'.  Still 20' from the hostess stand I gave up and went to the Windjammer for dinner.  It too was busy but typical for an Oasis class Windjammer.

The rock of Gibraltar and our pass through the Straits was approaching.  I didn't want to be sitting in a dining room even if I could only see distant lights on shore.

Here is our position as we approached the Strait of Gibraltar:

fdkm5SY.jpg

TEOEdSp.jpg

I tried to venture up top but found the upper decks closed due to high winds so I headed to deck 5, the running track.

5hsGCNE.jpg

That pyramid looking object is the rock of Gibraltar. 

KOb5vsu.jpg

At this point we were in the Strait of Gibraltar and you could see lights on both sides.

Africa on the port side:

kdBNYvb.jpg

Spain and the rock of Gibraltar on the starboard side:

TrTUPbs.jpg

Walking a few steps, Africa on the port side:

CndMfKY.jpg

Just now, J_Keeble said:

will it be like this going forward?

I had to come up with something quick for this voyage due to changes on the blog and viewing photos from other sources.  As I sat in Barcelona looking for a place I could store photos and have them available for access where ever I pick, the one I chose was an old default.  

Storing content is often a picky subject, I regret IMGUR is blocked by your work place.  Not sure what I'll do going forward.

3 hours ago, monctonguy said:

damn..none of these pics open for me......in Explorer or Chrome.....strange....all the other live blogs do and previous blogs by  @twangster have for me....and I have tried on 2 different computers now.....

Disappointed..I KNOW I am missing out on some great pics!:37_disappointed:

Weird. Photos load just fine for me.

Thanks alot for the video! I love captain Rob and love these presentations. I know uploading that video from the ship must have taken ages but very much appreciated sharing it with us.

Also I had no problem viewing the photos and they are great as usual!

Let us know how rough the sea is after you ventured into the Atlantic.

Define "motion".

Yes, there was some pitch (front to back) and some roll (left-right) associated with minor jostling like one would get riding a subway or train.  I am all the way aft so if it is going to felt, you would feel it here.  There is 'some' movement' but like a bartender said to me, it's better than what he has experienced on smaller ships. 

The Atlantic is rarely flat on any transatlantic.  It happens occasionally where some transatlantic sailing is perfectly calm the entire way, but many times there is "motion in the ocean".    If you are thinking about a transatlantic I would be ready for small to moderate seas.  I sleep through this stuff without batting an eye but other's may not.  

Day 4 - Sea Day

Finally out of the rain (for the most part).  A little bit of 'motion in the ocean' in approximately 14' seas.  This is the first morning I didn't sleep in past 9:30am.

VSNtLom.jpg

Time for breakfast at Johnny Rockets.

OQgmbFl.jpg

Included in the cruise fare for breakfast only, it's a great breakfast venue and since I can see it from my cabin, it was calling me this morning.

HynqQC8.jpg

4nFwMIe.jpg

MKWGrq0.jpg

Cooked to order Omelette 

MskbOjG.jpg

Plus some french toast

THYCht9.jpg

Yum.

DjhInHM.jpg

Noted some new screens on the cabin TV.

h1ouPfB.jpg

Our progress up to this point:

YSxYupp.jpg

With some time to kill before the Halloween party in the promenade I went to the Wonderland Bar.  A lot people don't know you can visit the bar like any other bar on the ship.  You don't have to eat at Wonderland to visit the bar.  They have some unique concoctions in the Wonderland theme.

FVEULtG.jpg

They have a table in the bar area that serves as a waiting area.

hWBe48W.jpg

Like the restaurant the bar menu is also unique and backlit.

pRvs1Cg.jpg

Down the Rabbit Hole:

gjfsXrj.jpg

The Smoke Rings cocktail is made with real smoke.

4SZV9nk.jpg

wjxAShl.jpg

Mmmm.  Good.  With a hint of oak wood smoke.

M4e9iVx.jpg

40 minutes ago, twangster said:

I had the Moroccan Spiced Ahi Tuna Steak on another ship recently and it was much better both in presentation and in flavor.

Sorry, was the other ship's tuna steak the one that was better, or the one you just had on Symphony was better? Hopefully the latter!

In anticipation for the Halloween parade the Promenade became very popular.

oIMef3e.jpg

Earlier in the day nearly 200 groups registered for the parade.  Each were assigned a number and given a card with their number to carry around.  Voting was setup in "On Air" where you could vote on the best costume.

4D9mfSd.jpg

nKFWXib.jpg

zxi389b.jpg

DMA9ixh.jpg

0348Jhy.jpg

aqOt0XW.jpg

vCTsCbe.jpg

ud8lViL.jpg

z8JzI8N.jpg

u9fe1or.jpg

ZUzsAuK.jpg

eX3tac0.jpg

HQSdrqc.jpg

IwrTG8v.jpg

Py0y6kQ.jpg

vYFa6bl.jpg

Finally it was time for the balloon drop.

1ZIHpy9.jpg

bY2B3I1.jpg

It was quite the party and a lot people really got into the costume and makeup.

After the party it was time for some music in the pub.

sBiXrLY.jpg

Ld6y4mT.jpg

8sYNnDO.jpg

Awesome costumes those people came up with! I still think yours is best though... The Invisible Bot! ?

And thank you for photographing as much as you did, because even if I had been there I never in a million years could I have watched that parade unless I was way into my drink package. I am utterly terrified of balloons, and being in a hallway full of them all over the floor, just waiting to be stepped on and popped by every random passer-by, would have been more than I could handle.