Symphony OTS Live! - Transatlantic Oct. 28, 2018 "Coming to America"

twangster

At 1pm an announcement let us know our cabins were ready.

Cabin 8327.  

Boardwalk balcony, port side, second boardwalk balcony from the aft.

wQ4KSLA.jpg

GghWJj9.jpg

Standard Oasis class bathroom.

MJ3ilCL.jpg

Balcony:

xr1Tvx2.jpg

The view aft is fairly obstructed.

tIP2qTj.jpg

XnpZ9KU.jpg

PZbLXxZ.jpg

After taking these pictures and checking out my cabin I ventured into the hall and discovered my bag just down the hall.  Luggage delivery was pretty quick.

With my suitcase unpacked and clothes sprayed down with wrinkle release it was time to explore the ship!

XbgOk37.jpg

4CdthtA.jpg

27kBsLU.jpg

WZVngME.jpg

uyxkVlQ.jpg

S2PS8Ki.jpg

qWRjJr4.jpg

Ycxnw1N.jpg

A look down at the terminal from the ship.

VRZpVA8.jpg

Solarium:

K6Bn1wV.jpg

ielgYll.jpg

T8D38Sj.jpg

The solarium pool.

pMmp06A.jpg

I needed to take care of something inside so I made my way back down to the Promenade.

yz02mBf.jpg

5dbTKqU.jpg

q95CHyY.jpg

I went to Boleros to see if I could trade in a previous Wow band.  My old one had a muster station printed on it.  On Anthem they would not allow me to trade in my Wow band and required me to purchase a new one because the muster station from Harmony was different than my Anthem muster station. 

QLpZTq0.jpg

I was pleased to discover that Symphony accepted my old "Muster Station E2" Wow band and gave me a new one that has no muster station on it.   No charge.

Next stop was the boardwalk where some friends had found Playmakers.  I'll wait for a nicer day to take pictures.  With 4:30pm approaching last call was announced as they began to close bars with muster approaching.  My G4 must was conveniently located in the Aqua theater.

2DqGx68.jpg

The rain had stopped.  Clouds were starting to break up.  Typical "assembly drill".  Watch the same 'Spy" safety video, crew displayed how to put on a life vest and the Captain released us.    

Muster station letters are different than Harmony.  

With muster complete it was time to prepare for sail away.  My friends had suggested to meet in the Solarium so that's where I headed.

RjEhUjo.jpg

IBD7x1Z.jpg

The sun was beginning to set.

QyqOvBb.jpg

n6fFzPr.jpg

CfgflmO.jpg

AKGX5B3.jpg

We had to wait for a departing cargo ship to make her exit.

dXoNXir.jpg

With a blast of the ship's whistle we were away from the pier.

2ZN19sg.jpg

With the bow thrusters fully engaged the Solarium pool rippled from the vibrations.

e5z1IVG.jpg

Darkness was rapidly moving upon us.

kxrzZZO.jpg

n8vYf0V.jpg

RearMSm.jpg

gozx7oG.jpg

yzTNJ8K.jpg

We slowly backed out of the harbor.

43SVOeE.jpg

DTF8HEz.jpg

G5Pl9Hu.jpg

We then turned and with that our cruise had begun.

Comedy club reservation.

vJoKnN4.jpg

Host was great.  There were two comedians tonight.  The second comedian was on Harmony in September.  Have you ever started to read a book and a couple pages in it seems really familiar?  Then you realize you've read it already.   It turns out the second comedian used a lot of the same material he used on Harmony.  Oh well, that's the way it goes.

36 minutes ago, SolariumSnoozer said:

How does Symphony compare to her sisters?  Your pictures give me a feel of familiarity but look like there are enough differences to make it feel like a different experience.

It's a beautiful ship.  Windy today so I'm holding back on some photography until I can catch her in better lighting conditions. 

I think Royal is trying to differentiate in subtle ways.   Carbon copies would be boring.   My guess is that the Navigator AMP will be subtly different than the Mariner AMP for the same reason.  

Harmony is different than Oasis and Allure.  Symphony is close to Harmony.   A subtle evolution.   The Solarium pool for example.   Hooked restaurant.  Good differences.  

Day 2 - Sea Day

Moving South and West as we somewhat hug the coast of Spain.  Windy today, top decks closed.  The ship is handling great, minimal movement.

After staying up into the wee hours of the morning on my photo shoot last night I slept in today.  Up in time to make the Windjammer for breakfast.  It's a been a while since I've sailed Oasis class and I've got to remember there are other options for breakfast.

Lazy day, just the way I like them.  I didn't take a lot pictures as I am still exploring the ship.  Plenty of sea days to come for me to take pictures when hopefully it won't be as windy.

Random thoughts and observations

As offered before we boarded due to the large numbers on board, the Diamond/Diamond Plus area incorporates the "Entertainment Plaza".  The Diamond Lounge, Jazz on 4 and The Attic.  They have been pretty busy during happy hour times.  The Attic is the only venue with a walk up bar where the other two have wait staff walking around taking drink orders.  Staff at each door check cards.

The latest version of the Royal app incorporates a personal calendar.  It now displays entertainment reservations but not My Time Dining or spa reservations.  

Being so close to the Abyss slide is interesting.  When someone slides down it makes a sound.  Four dongs followed by a whoop sound.  Often people scream.  While the patio door does a good job blocking most sounds, those make it through.  I might make it a ring tone, it's burned into my psyche. 

No water bottles were in my cabin from C&A.  Some sparking wine and a beer based on my preferences.  Today a bottle of Chandon was dropped off in ice with two flutes.  Nice.  

When I boarded one of the letters in my cabin addressed my transfer to Serenade after this cruise.  It will be provided by Royal.  I was planning to use Lyft or Uber so Royal offering to provide the transfer is very much appreciated. Loyalty does pay.

The thermostat in my cabin was on high when I arrived.  I had to turn it down from 'bake' last night so I could sleep.

My account in the Royal app fixed itself overnight.  I can now see my folio and charges to my account in the app.  

I dropped by the loyalty desk.  Based on points I qualify for a glass block on this cruise.  My Adventure points just posted Friday.  He didn't have me down for a block and thanked me for stopping by.  He'll add me to the list.  Over 280 glass blocks being handed out this cruise.  They'll go out for delivery to our cabins day 5 or 6.

I skipped lunch today.  I'm still burning off the calories I picked up on Adventure not long ago.  If my belly gets any bigger I might need to start picking out names.  Well past a baby bump, I've entered the third trimester.  At this rate I'll qualify for and become a rock start in the belly flop contest by the next cruise. Where's that gym?

1 hour ago, twangster said:

The thermostat in my cabin was on high when I arrived.  I had to turn it down from 'bake' last night so I could sleep.

The same thing happened to us on the Allure, the thermostat was all the way to the red.  Very odd.   We were able to get a floor fan from the room steward to get our room close to the sub-arctic temp my better half prefers.

Loving the blog as usual.  Thanks for taking the time.

Day 2 - Ice Skating Show "1977"

No cruise is complete without checking out the ice skating show.  Royal has put a lot effort incorporating technology into entertainment and "1977" benefits from this trend.  They've amped up the projection technology on Symphony.

fohDzTc.jpg

The show starts out with dozens of drones hovering over the ice and flying in formation as each changes color independently at times and as a formation.  You can't capture this in still images, you have to see it live.

xUt82Yt.jpg

All the little purple and blue lights are individual drones.

yMiATWg.jpg

zZk2Hrb.jpg

vixHump.jpg

jPfGdDz.jpg

w9xHTBL.jpg

T2yEThL.jpg

yCTpwRH.jpg

OjMMbb3.jpg

NzGOupn.jpg

GXME0oy.jpg

yq0cwkN.jpg

1Le0DUM.jpg

m6QmCRN.jpg

A very memorable part involves fast wardrobe changes for one skater incorporated into the routine almost before our eyes. 

Impossible to display in still photos, another thing best viewed live. 

While the storyline strays a little at times when taken in it's entirety it is a great show to watch.  Oh yeah, they made it snow during one part of the show.  Amazing. 

HLC9QAr.jpg

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Day 3 - Rainy Malaga

Rain and lower visibly.   Still adjusting to the time change I slept in.  Like many I remain on the ship.   

Weather radar doesn't look promising.   

Thermal spa is calling my name.   

Local time as I write this 10:50am,  5:50am in NYC. 

The good thing is when you are going back its much easier to adjust.

I have less issues going to NA ans SA , but going to far east killing me and every time I am coming back from the US or one of the SA countries I do not have problem to wake up but around 4 PM I find myself fighting not to fall asleep.

13 hours ago, twangster said:

The show starts out with dozens of drones hovering over the ice and flying in formation as each changes color independently at times and as a formation.  You can't capture this in still images, you have to see it live.

I cannot wait to see this

7 hours ago, RatedPG said:

Arrrggghh ... beating myself up again for not doing more research before booking.  I'll be going on my Thanksgiving/Birthday cruise on November 19 on the Serenade.  I could have joined the group cruise on the Symphony.

FOMO is awful...don't make the same mistake twice.  Book the Anthem GC in July!  I'll be there!

10 hours ago, RatedPG said:

Arrrggghh ... beating myself up again for not doing more research before booking.  I'll be going on my Thanksgiving/Birthday cruise on November 19 on the Serenade.  I could have joined the group cruise on the Symphony.  Group Cruise on the Symphony? WHAAAA ?   I just learned about that I too was on the Serenade in Sept next time though !

Day 3 - Malaga

After a visit to the Thermal Spa I had this great idea to walk down along the pier and get some pictures of the ship.  As I stepped off the ship and on to the gangway the skies opened up and the rain came down.  

Normally with a fish eye lens I can capture most ships at this range.  Not so with the largest cruise ship in the world.

AroW7sK.jpg

I had to at least check out the terminal.

W3wIiXi.jpg

There are a series of shops including duty free liquor and wine.

5hkOxxa.jpg

I didn't feel like taking another shower today so I headed back to the ship. This would be as close as I came to Malaga on this day.

cZR214b.jpg

There was a 40' truck with supplies that were being transferred to the ship.  St. Francis and Decoy wine among other supplies.  I think we'll be fine making it across.

hmOJg5s.jpg

Since I had my fish eye lens on I was wondering how a round scrunched up car in the shape a sphere would look with a fish eye at close range.  It pretty much looks like it does in person.

LdhscA0.jpg

Time for lunch and with Sorrento's right there...

As4oHFH.jpg

Barbecue Chicken on the menu today.  This was actually pretty good on Adventure recently.  

I found Symphony's variation a little too cheesy for my liking.

qOkwE7e.jpg

I thought I might as well take some more ships photos instead of walking in the rain.

MDR Entrance

qxx62Cl.jpg

MDR

234dCGo.jpg

deeCncl.jpg

I ran into some friend's and one drink led to another, so...

With sail away approaching I realized I needed to get ready for my Hairspray reservation so I ventured up to the Solarium bridge wings to see what I might be able to see of Malaga.  The rain had almost stopped so I snapped the best photos of Malaga that I would get on this visit.  

r0Y8FNY.jpg

Tq0MwtY.jpg

3ZDPdhn.jpg

HvYlTFm.jpg

A local fishing boat was returning to port.  They must have been tossing the remainder of their bait because the birds loved this boat.

H5Jp1nY.jpg

With that I ventured down to the theater to line up for Hairspray.  I had a specific part of the theater in mind and I would need to be near the front of the line when they opened the doors.