First cruise out of Port Canaveral...

chill6x6

Hi,

First post HERE!  LOTS of great info on this site and I really didn't know there was a forum here!  

So coming up in November I have my first cruise out of Port Canaveral AND first cruise on Oasis and in fact ANY Oasis class ship.  Up to now Liberty was the largest ship I've been aboard.  We will be staying in an OS so that's another first too as I've always stayed in a GS.  So we have a LOT of new things going on with this cruise....Port Canaveral, Oasis, OS, and Coastal Kitchen!  ALSO will be arriving a couple of days before cruise and have a rental car with Enterprise.

So.....do you have any advice/suggestions for a first timer sailing out of Port Canaveral?

2 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

So.....do you have any advice/suggestions for a first timer sailing out of Port Canaveral?

When looking at where to stay the night before, consider Orlando hotels in addition to hotels in Cocoa Beach. There's a lot more hotels in Orlando and prices tend to be lower.

Lots of great local restaurants around Cocoa Beach.  Near the pier, I recommend Rising Tide restaurant. In Cocoa Beach, Papa Vitos (pizza), La Fiesta Mexican Restaurant or Cocoa Beach Ale House

Since you'll be there a few days before and with a car, check out Cocoa Village.  It's got several blocks of little shops, eateries, pubs and breweries.  It is a fun place to stroll around.  If you're there around lunchtime Weds through Saturday and want some fantastic BBQ, Crydermans always has a line out the door.

Welcome, Chill 6x6.  So glad you found us !

Are you flying into Orlando and driving to the coast ?  If so, may I recommend that you rent your car from Hertz (this is the ONLY time we ever use Hertz, BTW) and stay at the Marriott Residence Inn Cape Canaveral Cocoa Beach on Astronaut Blvd.  The reason for this combination is that the Hertz rental car office in Cocoa Beach adjoins the Residence Inn...in fact, they share a parking lot.  So, if you get the rental car in Orlando you can drive it as much and as late as you want and then return it even after the Hertz office closes and just walk over to your hotel when you drop it off.  We have done this many times and it really works out well.  The hotel is just 5 minutes (maybe less) from the cruise terminal and they offer a shuttle over to the port on cruise morning.

You're going to love the OS.  It is a very very nice room.  In addition to everything else, you will have a nice comfortable place to eat both inside and outside.  As nice as the GS is, there is really nowhere to enjoy a nice meal in your suite without shuffling food and dishes around the coffee table or eat standing up at the "bar".  As with suites on other ship classes, you can have room service from the Main Dining Room delivered to your suite at any time when the MDR is in operation.  Breakfast is especially nice to enjoy either inside or outside.

There are a couple of very nice amenities that come with being in a suite on an O class ship that you do not get on the smaller ship classes.  Probably the one that will make the biggest impact is the use of the Suites Lounge and Coastal Kitchen.  The suites lounge is open from 11AM - 11PM and offers snacks, water, sodas, specialty coffees, beer and wine to suites guests.  It is a very comfortable place to relax, eat, drink or just visit.  Meals in the CK are very quiet and leisurely.  While there are suites lounges on some of the other ship classes, none of them are staffed 11-11 for drinks.  The bar in the suites lounge on Oasis is nice (better than the one on Harmony, I think) b/c you can see out to the pool deck below when sitting there.  They moved the bar on Harmony so it is up against the wall.  No view at all.  As a full suites guest, there will be a reserved seating area in the main theater, the ice show and the Aqua Theater.  You just need to be there no later than 10 minutes prior to showtime b/c at 10 minutes 'til, they release those reserved seats to anyone to use. 

Welcome to the boards!  Are you on the 11/11 sailing?  I'll be on that with my wife and daughter, after almost a year in dry dock...  We're staying the night before at the Country Inn & Suites in PC, and also the night after.  They have laundry facilities, and we're doing a pseudo side-by-side with Enchantment the week of Thanksgiving.  

10 hours ago, mworkman said:

Welcome...When we stayed at Port Canaveral..we went to Cocoa Beach Pier just to check it out and relaxed, adult beverages were in order.  We didn't do a lot as we only arrived in the afternoon and departed the next day.

Thanks!  Will do Cocoa Beach Pier!!

10 hours ago, Susie said:

If you have a kid with you then you can go to Disney World or Universal Studio. LOL don't need to be a kid I love Universal Studio.

No kids but thanks for the  idea!  Maybe next time!

9 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Do not skip out on Coastal Kitchen!

We're sure not!  Looking forward to it!  Stayed in a CS aboard Silhouette in the Spring and of course had Luminae as our restaurant....AWESOME!  If Coastal Kitchen is anything CLOSE.....it's gonna be great!

8 hours ago, Matt said:

When looking at where to stay the night before, consider Orlando hotels in addition to hotels in Cocoa Beach. There's a lot more hotels in Orlando and prices tend to be lower.

Lots of great local restaurants around Cocoa Beach.  Near the pier, I recommend Rising Tide restaurant. In Cocoa Beach, Papa Vitos (pizza), La Fiesta Mexican Restaurant or Cocoa Beach Ale House

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations!  One of the things I was looking for!

8 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Since you'll be there a few days before and with a car, check out Cocoa Village.  It's got several blocks of little shops, eateries, pubs and breweries.  It is a fun place to stroll around.  If you're there around lunchtime Weds through Saturday and want some fantastic BBQ, Crydermans always has a line out the door.

We will check it out!  Will be there Friday afternoon and all day Saturday so we will have a little time!

7 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Welcome, Chill 6x6.  So glad you found us !

Are you flying into Orlando and driving to the coast ?  If so, may I recommend that you rent your car from Hertz (this is the ONLY time we ever use Hertz, BTW) and stay at the Marriott Residence Inn Cape Canaveral Cocoa Beach on Astronaut Blvd.  The reason for this combination is that the Hertz rental car office in Cocoa Beach adjoins the Residence Inn...in fact, they share a parking lot.  So, if you get the rental car in Orlando you can drive it as much and as late as you want and then return it even after the Hertz office closes and just walk over to your hotel when you drop it off.  We have done this many times and it really works out well.  The hotel is just 5 minutes (maybe less) from the cruise terminal and they offer a shuttle over to the port on cruise morning.

You're going to love the OS.  It is a very very nice room.  In addition to everything else, you will have a nice comfortable place to eat both inside and outside.  As nice as the GS is, there is really nowhere to enjoy a nice meal in your suite without shuffling food and dishes around the coffee table or eat standing up at the "bar".  As with suites on other ship classes, you can have room service from the Main Dining Room delivered to your suite at any time when the MDR is in operation.  Breakfast is especially nice to enjoy either inside or outside.

There are a couple of very nice amenities that come with being in a suite on an O class ship that you do not get on the smaller ship classes.  Probably the one that will make the biggest impact is the use of the Suites Lounge and Coastal Kitchen.  The suites lounge is open from 11AM - 11PM and offers snacks, water, sodas, specialty coffees, beer and wine to suites guests.  It is a very comfortable place to relax, eat, drink or just visit.  Meals in the CK are very quiet and leisurely.  While there are suites lounges on some of the other ship classes, none of them are staffed 11-11 for drinks.  The bar in the suites lounge on Oasis is nice (better than the one on Harmony, I think) b/c you can see out to the pool deck below when sitting there.  They moved the bar on Harmony so it is up against the wall.  No view at all.  As a full suites guest, there will be a reserved seating area in the main theater, the ice show and the Aqua Theater.  You just need to be there no later than 10 minutes prior to showtime b/c at 10 minutes 'til, they release those reserved seats to anyone to use. 

Thanks for the info on the OS!  I originally had a GS booked and realized the GS on the Oasis didn't have "full-sized lounge chairs on the balcony....one look at some pics of the OS and I knew that was the way to go!  DEFINITELY gonna have to have a meal or two delivered to that balcony table!

Thanks for the info on the SL and CK!  I was debating getting a drink package.....but it seems kinda unnecessary since at the very least beer/wine will be available from 11-11...  I think I'm gonna skip the drink package...  Nice to know we can just "show up" for the entertainment!

7 hours ago, betatke1480 said:

Welcome to the boards!  Are you on the 11/11 sailing?  I'll be on that with my wife and daughter, after almost a year in dry dock...  We're staying the night before at the Country Inn & Suites in PC, and also the night after.  They have laundry facilities, and we're doing a pseudo side-by-side with Enchantment the week of Thanksgiving.  

Thanks!  Our sailing is two weeks AFTER yours!  

We stayed in a Loft Suite (first time in a LS) last June on the Oasis.  As far as the Aqua show,  I would get there at least 20min early.  The line for the people with reservations and suite guest was the same line,   no special line for suite guest but there was a nice lady checking sea pass cards for the suite area.  There was a line on the left side of the theater for people without reservations to be let in 10 min before show time and this is where the problem started.  Before they let in all the suite guest and people with reservations someone opened up the line on the left.  It turned into a major cluster.  Needless to say  there were some very upset people.  The moral to the story is to get there early whether you have a reservation or suite guest.

I live pretty close! I can tell you that if you're looking for some things to do, there is a bunch! If you're looking for some things to do before, Kennedy Space Center is always great to go to if you haven't been. Port Canaveral is right next to Cocoa Beach which is usually pretty empty and great to visit. Ron Jons is also a local staple as well as the numerous local restaurants! 

14 hours ago, MikeK said:

We stayed in a Loft Suite (first time in a LS) last June on the Oasis.  As far as the Aqua show,  I would get there at least 20min early.  The line for the people with reservations and suite guest was the same line,   no special line for suite guest but there was a nice lady checking sea pass cards for the suite area.  There was a line on the left side of the theater for people without reservations to be let in 10 min before show time and this is where the problem started.  Before they let in all the suite guest and people with reservations someone opened up the line on the left.  It turned into a major cluster.  Needless to say  there were some very upset people.  The moral to the story is to get there early whether you have a reservation or suite guest.

Thanks!  So we WILL try to get there 20-30 minutes before the shows!

13 hours ago, Tbone said:

I live pretty close! I can tell you that if you're looking for some things to do, there is a bunch! If you're looking for some things to do before, Kennedy Space Center is always great to go to if you haven't been. Port Canaveral is right next to Cocoa Beach which is usually pretty empty and great to visit. Ron Jons is also a local staple as well as the numerous local restaurants! 

Oh we are gonna hit the beach and we ARE gonna eat for SURE!