New England/Canada Itineraries - Timing

jagnew

Hello all,

I am looking to book a New England cruise, likely from New Jersey next year for my wife's 40th birthday "present."  My question to you all is what have been your positive and negative experiences with the summer version of the cruise versus the autumn version?

It looks like July and August are available on Adventure for 6 nights, while September and October are on Anthem for 9 nights.  I would lean toward Anthem since she is a more interesting ship to me, but it may also be too cold on deck to enjoy the outdoor amenities and balconies...

If you have taken either of these itineraries, I appreciate your knowledge.

Thanks!

Welcome to the message boards.

I just completed a Canada/New England cruise on Adventure a couple days ago that started in Canada on Oct. 8.  In my case it was a one-way repositioning cruise from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale but it stopped at many of the same ports.  Adventure will now spend it's winter in Florida and this was the cruise that moved her Southbound to her winter home.

Being an October cruise it was definitely cooler and jacket weather until we reached the warmer waters of Florida.  In July or August the weather will be much warmer.

My live blog can be found here in the message boards at RoyalCarribeanBlog.com:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/9521-adventure-ots-13-night-snowbird-migration-quebec-to-ft-lauderdale-oct-8-2018/

By looking at the photos in each port you can judge what people are wearing.

Anthem is a cool weather ship.  She was designed to be used in cooler climates and features a very nice covered Solarium that Adventure does not.  In this sense she would be a much better October New England ship compared to Adventure but the outer decks and balconies will likely be cool in October.  

Hi @jagnew. I live in NJ and I can say that at least with the last couple of years, it hasn't meaningfully cooled off until mid-October, late September at the earliest. If the trend continues, an early or mid-September sailing on Anthem would probably be fine in the first and last couple of days for outdoor activity; after that, you may find yourself using the covered and enclosed Solarium more.

I just booked the Adventure for August 2019 Canada/New England out of NJ.  I do live in NJ via South Jersey and I can say it is still very hot here in August.  I did go to Buffalo NY for labor day weekend this year, which is basically Canada, and it was a cool 90 degrees that weekend.  I was actually hoping for more a fall atmosphere in the ports when we stopped, but we could also be sweating.

It's tough to decide, as the weather varies year by year.  The pictures showing up in my Facebook memories are perfect examples of how the fall foliage varies year by year.  I have two trees in my NJ backyard that are still very green.  Last year, the leaves were all orange & yellow.  The year before that, there was no leaves.  

If you want a chance of seeing fall colors, and cooler temps, choose September.  If you want warm temps normally associated with cruising, stick with July-August.