Navigator of the Seas Motion Sickness Question

ReyRod

Hey Guys,
My wife gets extreme motion sickness. We travelled on the Carnival Sensation and she was sick 3-5 days she was on board. She tried pills and the bracelets and nothing worked. I know Sensation is a smaller ship and she felt everything more. How much do you feel the motion on the NOS? We are staying on the 9th floor towards the back unfortunately. Anyone have any experience or advice they would like to share? Do the stabilizers make a big difference?

I just spent 13 nights on Adventure, sister ship to Navigator.  For every one I saw on board it was fine, including some 12' seas in the North Atlantic.  The worst it got was much like riding on a subway train

There are many things that contribute to ship motion.  Wave height isn't the most important factor.  Wave pitch, ship speed and angle relative to wind and waves all play a role in ship movement.  What is fine for many may not be so good for others.  

Stabilizers do make a big difference but they don't eliminate all roll.  They had them deployed on my Adventure cruise at times.  

Has she talked with her doctor?  It could be something prescribed like a patch may be in order.  

We barely felt any motion on a 5-night we had on Navigator in '09.

Being our first cruise, we were concerned about the possibility of motion sickness, but, we had no issues.

We noticed just a slight bit of rocking when we would go to bed, but, that is all. In fact, we think it helped us sleep! 

We did the transatlantic from Southampton to Boston/New York on Navigator last November. The captain deviated off the planned route and south through the Bay of Biscay to avoid a storm coming from the north but we still had some rougher seas. My wife gets sea sick and spent quite a bit of time feeling rough and in bed the first few days. She had tablets and wristbands but they didn’t make much difference. In passing conversation one day with our cabin steward he said to eat a green apple (got to be green for some reason) and drink ginger ale. Although on some days she she didn’t like the up and down motion in the theatre she felt so much better for the rest of the cruise.

At least one green apple a day and ginger ale is worth a try. It’s a big ship though and I didn’t particularly feel it moved a lot but I don’t get seasick so it’s easy for me to say that! 

18 hours ago, ReyRod said:

Hey Guys,
My wife gets extreme motion sickness. We travelled on the Carnival Sensation and she was sick 3-5 days she was on board. She tried pills and the bracelets and nothing worked. I know Sensation is a smaller ship and she felt everything more. How much do you feel the motion on the NOS? We are staying on the 9th floor towards the back unfortunately. Anyone have any experience or advice they would like to share? Do the stabilizers make a big difference?

My mother-in-law has extreme motion sickness but doesn't let it stop her from cruising!  She gets a patch from her doctor and follows a few self-imposed "rules."  First, they only stay in an interior cabin.  For her (whether it's in her mind or not) she feels less movement at night when she's in the middle of the ship than on the outer edges.  She CLAIMS (again, could be in her head but if it works for her and she can cruise with us...whatever) that when they had an ocean view she felt more movement.  Second, she doesn't look at the water.  At all.  Yes, that means no sailaway parties on deck, no watching the stars at night, going on the helipad...even sits with her back to the windows in the dining room.  If she doesn't see the water moving, she doesn't feel the movement.  (Again, probably all in her head but it works for her.  You can't tell a 70-something otherwise,  LOL.) Lastly, she puts her patch on the night before she gets on the ship.  She changes it religiously every three days, and wears it until she arrives at home.  

We took them on Adventure this past May and no problems at all.  As long as she follows her rules...