Rumour: Johnny Rockets replacing Kung-fu panda OotS

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2018 at 3:05 PM, Avfrattner said:

I'm on ovation in 29 days, so I'll see if anything has changed and I'll ask the crew if they know anything.

I will let you guys know!

Any updates? How was your cruise?  I pulled this off of Cruise Critic's website, which may address the "fish and chips" comment above?:

" Michael's Genuine Pub (Deck 4); a la carte pricing: This British-style pub is created in partnership with Miami celebrity chef Michael Schwartz. If you're feeling hungry there are all sorts of nibbles, snack items and more substantial pub fare, such as a jar of pickled vegetables or devilled eggs for US$3 (A$3.91) each, or chips with onion dip, pork scratchings or chicken wings for US$5 (A$6.52). For bigger appetites choose from bangers and mash, fish and chips, or roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, all priced at US$12.50 ($16.30), and followed by sweets including sticky toffee pudding and peanut butter pie-in-a-jar for US$4 (A$5.22). Opening hours are 11 am to 1 am. "

• 3 months later...

Bump.  Any recent updates?  Are Kung-Fu Panda and Micheal’s gone?  She is just about a month from getting to the US/Hawai’i so checking to see.  

ETA - did a little looking at another site (sorry Matt) and found this item posted from January, so not sure if it is a temporary solution.

“It seems the Kung Fu Panda shop is now called Poolside Restaurant or similar, it just has Fish and Chips or Calamari or Sausages or a few others, all for a charge. Not sure if it will still be the same in Alaska, the maps next door to it still referred to it as a noodle restaurant”

I've been following @Cathy Drew.  She has been scoping from Ovation this week in NZ.

Kung-Fu Panda remains or at least 'Chinese noodles" as she referred to it and she had Calamari and Chips the other day.  No Johnny Rockets.

With a three day inspection upon her arrival in Honolulu it made me wonder if they might try to change some venues during those 3 days.  

Ken Jarvis is an admin for the RCPeriscopers.live group and he'll be on the Honolulu to Vancouver cruise.  He'll be scoping for sure.  

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Big change like that would usually take place during a dry dock type thing or ?

Seems like changing some signage and a video monitor like on Navigator to display the menu wouldn't take a dry dock to complete.  A kitchen to flip burgers shouldn't be huge change over.  

I'm wondering if Johnny Rockets has licensing restrictions outside of North America.  Perhaps they intend to make it a temporary change for Alaska in a manner they could pull the signs when it's time to head South again.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I'm wondering if Johnny Rockets has licensing restrictions outside of North America.  Perhaps they intend to make it a temporary change for Alaska in a manner they could pull the signs when it's time to head South again.  

I think Voyager and Explorer have Johnny Rockets which sail the same areas as Ovation currently does.

1 minute ago, twangster said:

At the 7 min mark of @Cathy Drew's scope of Ovation deck 14 you can briefly see the "Poolside Cafe" that has replaced Kung Fu Panda in the space that on Anthem is JR's.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BRJjXPMbjdKw?t=15m28s

Fish and Chips

Calamari and Chips

Chinese Noodles

No mention of Speed Noodles.

Formal protest. They are the best.