Charged me 75% cancellation penalty for Sept 2019 cruise - help

QinYao

Hi guys,
This is my first post, I have never been on a cruise, and I'm seeking help, please hear my story below.

My name is Qin Yao (James) Li. Early March 2018, I found out that my wife is pregnant. So I want to go on a vacation with her, this would be our last chance to relax before having our first kid. In March 2018 I booked a cruise for Anthem of the Seas departure on May 17, 2018. I paid the full amount during the booking, and I even paid the gratuities. We were looking forward to this cruise.

In mid April we requested our obstetrician to write a letter for us to state my wife is fit to travel. As we were discussing the trip with our doctor, she informed us the risks of the ongoing Zika virus down in the Caribbean. Although I have heard about the Zika virus outbreak 2 years ago, I was not aware it was an ongoing risk. Me and my wife did not feel comfortable going on the cruise due to fear of being infected. So I called Royal Caribbean customer service to see what can be done. We send a copy of doctor's letter to prove my wife is pregnant. The customer service agent was able to change our cruise with $100 change fee per person, total in $200 change fee. On Apr 24, 2018 we decided to change our cruise to Ovation of the Seas departure on Sep 06, 2019. We paid in total $3638.38 for this booking.

Fast forward few to October 01, 2018. Due to some financial concerns with starting a new family, I called Royal Caribbean customer service to ask what would happen if I cancel the cruise. I was informed that there will only be $100 cancellation fee per person (total $200), which will be deducted from the $265 non-refundable deposit per person (total $530). Which means that I will have $330 credit for my future booking that I have to use within one year. And the remaining amount will be refunded to me. Being able to get back $3000 is a lot of money which will be very helpful in our current condition. So we decided to cancel the cruise.

Few days later when I check my credit card, I saw $1360.76 refunded to my card. So I called the Royal Caribbean customer service again wondering what happened. Afterward they refunded me $62.83 again because of some miscalculation. For the past few weeks, I talked to multiple people from the Resolution Department and everyone refused to help me. Everyone keeps telling me that there is nothing they can do about the 75% penalty charge, which I had no idea about it. I ask the Resolution Department to pull up the recording of the conversation between me and the agent that helped me with the cancellation, but they said they were not able to. And the reason they refused to help me is because they were not able to confirm my store.

The past two weeks have been very stressful for me, fearing that I will lose close to $2000 because the agent did the cancellation for me did for me provided me with the wrong information.

This is unreal, first on the Royal Caribbean website it say "Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is committed to the safety and health of our guests and crew. We are closely monitoring the Zika virus situation and are aware that the CDC has issued a travel alert for certain countries where Zika virus transmission is ongoing. Royal Caribbean will assist any pregnant women who do not feel comfortable sailing to countries affected with the Zika virus by providing alternate itinerary options. This may include providing guests with a future cruise credit valid for two years so that they may re-schedule their voyage for a later date, with no penalty." text from https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/zika-virus

Furthermore, I have also read online forum where people got a full refund because of this. I understand this is scenario based.

Second point, if I was informed about the 75% penalty, I would not have cancel my cruise.

Third point, even on my cruise vacation receipt there is a cancellation schedule which show cancellation amount if you are within 89 days prior to sailing. My sailing date is 11 month from my cancellation date.

Last point, no where on my cruise vacation receipt mention I was under penalty because of the change I made back in April 2018.

I'm trying to start a new family and I don't want to lose almost $2000 because of agent being negligent and provided me with the wrong information. I have send an email to MyCruise@rccl.com hopefully they will respond soon.

Please comment if anyone have other suggestions.

Thanks,

James

Not sure if travel insurance would be helpful in this situation.

In effect, this is simply a change of mind by the OP, and travel insurance doesn't cover that.

The original change was due to Zika virus, and the situation with that outbreak did not change between booking the cruise and the first change. In any case, it seems the OP was actually satisfied with RCI's solution there anyway.

The cancellation was just a change of mind, so an insurer would not pay out there.

The issue here is the information provided by RCI, so that's where the focus needs to be.

The credit card provider avenue could be helpful, and it's also another reason not to pay the full amount until the last possible moment.

2 minutes ago, Balsam said:

Not sure if travel insurance would be helpful in this situation.

In effect, this is simply a change of mind by the OP, and travel insurance doesn't cover that.

The original change was due to Zika virus, and the situation with that outbreak did not change between booking the cruise and the first change. In any case, it seems the OP was actually satisfied with RCI's solution there anyway.

The cancellation was just a change of mind, so an insurer would not pay out there.

The issue here is the information provided by RCI, so that's where the focus needs to be.

The credit card provider avenue could be helpful, and it's also another reason not to pay the full amount until the last possible moment.

Sorry, but you're somewhat incorrect @Balsam-  Cancel For Any Reason (e.g., change of mind... just did that two weeks ago and it IS covered) added to the trip insurance would have covered this EXACT situation. 

6 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

1) Talk to your travel agent, this is why you have them.

2) Did you take out travel insurance?

1. I did the booking online myself, so no travel agent.

2. I didn't buy travel insurance.

Honestly, if I was told about the 75% penalty I would not have cancel my trip.

8 hours ago, Balsam said:

So this was something you paid extra to add to your travel insurance?

If so, I stand corrected as I haven't heard if that one before.

Yes. We add it every time we travel since we have frail parents, and never know when we need to be called back or have to cancel at the last minute. It has to be added within so many days  of your first cruise payment. I'm thinking 10 days  is the limit.

This past summer, my husband was bit by a copperhead snake. Had it happened within a few days of us leaving on a cruise, we would have pulled the trigger on the insurance claim.

We were going to go on a holiday cruise next year, but put we decided to cancel and go at another time (hello, group cruise to Canada/New England ?). Had put only deposit on cruise fare. I was able to make a claim on my trip insurance using the cancel for any reason, and receive 75% of the nonrefundable deposit. So, the "loss" was a little over $100. 

So yes, we always add it.

I would check your paperwork from the 2nd cruise.  Look to see if it has any penalties and dates.  I book with a TA and mine always has it but I don't know if RC does that too.

I think the 75% penalty is coming from the original booking which is their right as on their website as the original booking was cancelled between 31 and 60 days.  Lucky for you, they allowed you to the original change.  However, when you cancelled the second reservation they reverted back to the original policy. 

I don't think there is anything you can do except keep calling back but the policy is very clear.  I think this is another example of why I use a TA.  

2 hours ago, melski94 said:

I would check your paperwork from the 2nd cruise.  Look to see if it has any penalties and dates.  I book with a TA and mine always has it but I don't know if RC does that too.

I think the 75% penalty is coming from the original booking which is their right as on their website as the original booking was cancelled between 31 and 60 days.  Lucky for you, they allowed you to the original change.  However, when you cancelled the second reservation they reverted back to the original policy. 

I don't think there is anything you can do except keep calling back but the policy is very clear.  I think this is another example of why I use a TA.  

1) Do your research and use a TA.

2) Then get your travel insurance (unless you can afford the loss. . . And not care about it).

@Boston Babe I've used iTravelinsured.com for the last 8 years. So far, so good. They cover everything with regards to the trip. So, if we have to drive in the day before to get to the airport to make the flight to get to the port or Cruise terminal (the day before). They will even cover that two days before including the hotel rooms (one night in STL and then another night in MIA, for example) the drive up to our initial airport (STL), the hotel stay, the airfare, a rental car, Etc. So if it's already paid for then it's covered. Obviously, if it's not charged yet, and there are no cancellation penalties then we wouldn't make that part of the claim.