Question about Apple Watch on the cruise

When you put your iPhone into airplane mode, the watch goes into airplane automatically.  You have to manually take it out of airplane mode, even after taking your phone out of airplane mode.  

My series 4 with cellular doesn't roam like my phone does.  It Canada my phone works great, full LTE service.  My watch?  Nope.  It behaves like a non-cellular watch when roaming. 

On 10/19/2018 at 12:28 PM, twangster said:

When you put your iPhone into airplane mode, the watch goes into airplane automatically.  You have to manually take it out of airplane mode, even after taking your phone out of airplane mode.  

My series 4 with cellular doesn't roam like my phone does.  It Canada my phone works great, full LTE service.  My watch?  Nope.  It behaves like a non-cellular watch when roaming. 

Have you tried connecting your watch to your travel router when you have that up and running? Curious if that works onboard (I would think it would)

26 minutes ago, Thetechie said:

Have you tried connecting your watch to your travel router when you have that up and running? Curious if that works onboard (I would think it would)

Yes, but Apple watch doesn't support wifi-calling like a phone does.  For me, my phone is usually with me so having my watch connect to a travel router yields no benefit.   

• 5 months later...
37 minutes ago, BobAbooey said:

Do you think using a web browser app for the apple watch 4 I could connect to the ships wifi? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/parrity/id1448208309?mt=8

Welcome to the message boards!

It seems like this watch app uses your phone to browse but then captures a web page and displays it on your watch.  I'm not sure it's a native browser that works independently of your phone.

• 3 months later...

Welcome to the message boards!

Most US based cell plans for Apple Watch don't include roaming internationally so the cellular features won't work outside of the US.

The Apple Watch was designed originally to be tethered to an iPhone.  It obtained all of it's connectivity through the phone.  Newer Apple watches running newer software can connect to wifi when the phone isn't nearby.  It still prefers to use the phone's connection but can fall back to wifi when the phone isn't present.

An Apple watch can connect to wifi that doesn't require logging in to the wifi.  At home for example an Apple Watch will learn of your home wifi from your phone and connect to your home wifi when your phone isn't within range.

Voom requires you log in.  For this reason it doesn't work with an Apple Watch.  However if your son's phone is connected to Voom with a paid Voom plan, the Apple Watch will function normally as long as his phone is with him.  

Thank you.  I was not aware that the watch does not allow logging in to WiFi.  That is really unfortunate.  We were trying to avoid him needing a phone with him all the time to avoid losing or getting phone wet while onboard.  The watch is waterproof but basically worthless it sounds like as a communication device by itself while on the cruise.

There is an easier way to set the time on you Apple Watch while in Airplane mode in IOS 12. 

On the iPhone turn Airplane mode on and also make sure Bluetooth is turned on .

Next open the Settings App, select General and then Date & Time.

Turn off Set Automatically.

Select Time Zone and search for a city in that time zone.  As an example search to Tokyo Japan. Select it and now the time will change on both the iPhone and Apple Watch. 

When you arrive back in the United States under Date and Time just turn back on "Set Automatically".

• 2 years later...

Will the Walkie-Talkie functionality on the Apple Watch work onboard with the iPhone logged into shipboard WiFi but no paid internet time? (The way you access onboard informations through the Royal App). Hoping to be able to use Walkie Talkie with wither members of our party with an Apple Watch.

On 7/14/2019 at 9:40 AM, Enosdale Cruiser said:

We will be cruising over New Years.  We got our son a Apple Watch Series 3 with Cellular.  If we buy the Voom package for his watch, will we be able to text and/or FaceTime him using the watch to stay in contact with him while aboard the ship?

Apple Watch has no camera.  You cannot Facetime using the watch.

NEVER MIND.  I'm replying to an old post LOL.

58 minutes ago, Brandis said:

Will the Walkie-Talkie functionality on the Apple Watch work onboard with the iPhone logged into shipboard WiFi but no paid internet time? (The way you access onboard informations through the Royal App). Hoping to be able to use Walkie Talkie with wither members of our party with an Apple Watch.

No.  The walkie talkie function of the Apple watch requires internet to communicate with Apple servers in their data centers.  Without a paid internet Voom plan your phone and watch can't reach Apple's servers.