Wonderland for vegetarians - Is it a magical trip of flavors or a smoking carrot?

radroach

RCI page on Wonderland says that vegetarian options are available, but I also read a post back from 2016 where the waiter suggested

a vegetarian couple to find another dining place. I'd much appreciate any experiences of people who have actually eaten the vegetarian (no fish or meat) menu in Wonderland.

Basically, is it worth the 50$? ??

We are going on Harmony Jan 19.

I dined in Wonderland on Harmony last year.  Was there plenty to eat?  Absolutely.  If I recall they essentially mixed up a few things from the two (if I recall) menus to create a vegetarian meal.  I adjusted mine further as I really don't like peanuts, and if I recall one of the dessert options had peanut butter.  

I don't think that being a vegetarian changed the value prop one way or the other.  As I said, most of what I had were items already on the menu that they put together and made some slight adjustments to in the case of a course or two.  Was it worth the cost?  To try once, sure.  The food wasn't bad but it really didn't impress me either, and I don't know that's their goal - Wonderland is about the experience more than the food, and it is a novel experience.  I'm glad I went once.  I'd probably not go again (at least not unless they changed something in a big way to make it a new experience to me), but I will be going again on Symphony next month just so my spouse can experience it (she wasn't with me on Harmony).  Others of course think the food is great - it's obviously subjective.  

@CruiseHabit Ric and I actually discussed my take on Wonderland on the latest episode of our podcast if you want to give that a listen, though much like my above notes, it wasn't about the vegetarian experience, as that didn't seem to way heavily in my experience (which isn't a bad thing).

TL;DR - Being vegetarian didn't change the value prop.  Neat experience, but it didn't blow me away.  Would recommend doing once.

On 10/22/2018 at 5:20 AM, radroach said:

Thanks guys, this was excellent information and just what I was seeking for - going for it now definitely ?

Very much enjoyed the podcast also, thank you.

Glad you found the info helpful and enjoyed the show.

Report back and share your thoughts on Wonderland!

• 2 months later...

Well, I have been Wonderlanded now!

It was for us pretty much as @monorailmedic stated: "Neat experience, but it didn't blow me away.  Would recommend doing once."

Here's what we got:

Fire

Emanating wonderful warmth

Buffalo Chicken Eggs

Smoke, blue cheese & hot sauce

Sun

Radiant vegetables playfully reinvented

Baby Vegetables in the Garden

Soil & pebbles <-- as in "normal" version the "soil" was coloured with squid ink, we had a nice green avocado grass  as a base ?

Reconstructed caprese

Liquid olive, ricotta powder, basil

Tomato water

Pepper spherification, bread foam

Ice

Chilled to exhilarate the palate

Oceanic Citrus

Spicy tuna & floral yuzu granite <--This was replaced with a fresh lime sorbet.

Crispy Crab Cones

Cilantro, avocado mousse & ohba leaf <-- cones were filled with peppers etc., so no crab here.

For mains we had a mushroom risotto with steamed vegetables - which wasn't overwhelmingly great, but was

a nice and light meal after all that Sorrento's pizza ? 

Dreams

Elaborate dreamscape of desserts.

The World

Peanut butter ganache, Valrhona chocolate mousse, salted caramel ice cream

The waitress explained very well the ingredients the chef replaced the meats, fish and seafood from the original setting - this is something

that was done impressively well. Chef didn't want us to miss any of the elements and clearly he made an effort to

use vegetarian ingredients that also tasted good on top of looking neat.

This was our chosen speciality restaurant for the cruise, and we were both

very happy with the experience. The restaurant itself was nicely furnished and it's dark, tranquil atmosphere complimented the courses well.

All in all the food wasn't something that a vegetarian would eat on daily basis, but this wasn't even the expectation nor the purpose of the menu. 

It was all for the experience and that Wonderland certainly delivered.

Ok... Can I piggyback on this one?  We are taking my 16 year old vegetarian daughter with us on allure and have gotten the BOGO.  We also booked izumi hibachi (we are taking her) and Samba grill (we are not wasting our money and taking her).  We are planning for the BOGO on sabor (we've done with her... She can eat quac and quesadillas!) but we also are planning on 150 Central Park.  She doesn't eat fish or meat...I'm having a hard time seeing options on the main menu.  @monorailmedic or anyone else dined there and think it was good for a vegetarian menu?? Jane

On 1/22/2019 at 12:06 AM, mom2mybugs said:

Ok... Can I piggyback on this one?  We are taking my 16 year old vegetarian daughter with us on allure and have gotten the BOGO.  We also booked izumi hibachi (we are taking her) and Samba grill (we are not wasting our money and taking her).  We are planning for the BOGO on sabor (we've done with her... She can eat quac and quesadillas!) but we also are planning on 150 Central Park.  She doesn't eat fish or meat...I'm having a hard time seeing options on the main menu.  @monorailmedic or anyone else dined there and think it was good for a vegetarian menu?? Jane

We dined in 150 Central Park on Symphony in November and felt it was one of the best meals we'd had on RCI.  I'd say there are Jamie's have been our favorites. 

This is where I should be able to chime in and tell you what we ate - but I have zero recollection.  What I do recall is that when we told them we were vegetarian they offered up several options, asked if they'd be okay/needed any adjustment, and we let them roll with it.  We have several different things (as like on land, Larissa and I tend to order different things and then split them so we can enjoy a wider variety).  She's out and about right now but I'll see if she can recall any of what we had.  I remember one dish was a cauliflower base (which is think is on the standard menu), but there were others and/or items they'd adjusted to be vegetarian for us. 

The key is though, while food is very subjective, we both really enjoyed our meal there and will certainly go back next time we're on an Oasis class ship.  Beyond the food, I also liked the atmosphere.  Candidly (and at risk of sounding like a jerk), I often find that some cruise lines work hard to create an experience that people find ticks some mystical boxes to make it "fancy", in the process, to me, comes off as fake.  I was really pleased with the overall feel of 150 Central Park though.  The decor, music, and service were all nice without feeling at all like I was worried, and while I don't remember what we had - I do remember having several vegetarian options and enjoying our food.

On 1/23/2019 at 6:50 PM, monorailmedic said:

I was really pleased with the overall feel of 150 Central Park though.  The decor, music, and service were all nice without feeling at all like I was worried, and while I don't remember what we had - I do remember having several vegetarian options and enjoying our food.

Thank you so much...I will have her read this!  I'm looking forward to her being able to enjoy some well-cooked vegetarian meals on the ship as opposed to get eating just Mac and cheese everywhere!  Jane

31 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

Thank you so much...I will have her read this!  I'm looking forward to her being able to enjoy some well-cooked vegetarian meals on the ship as opposed to get eating just Mac and cheese everywhere!  Jane

No problem.  I have a series of tips for cruising with any dietary restrictions and I think it'd be worth reviewing (for you, her, or both).  The biggest take-away though: communicate.  Ask if you're note sure, tell someone if there is something you want that you don't see.

https://www.cruisehabit.com/how-request-vegan-vegatarian-gluten-free-or-kosher-meals-your-next-cruise