Voom Surf vs Voom Surf & Stream

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Have tried both several times. Surf and Stream is faster, but it is still not much. Sometimes when we get to a port like Key West or other where my AT&T LTE will be free, It's great to turn on the iPhone hot spot and watch how fast the MacBook is compared to Surf and Stream.

8 hours ago, fbcmusicman said:

I purchased the Surf and Stream for two devices and IT WAS AWFUL! Not once was I able to watch a video from Facebook, Youtube. My Directv Now App would not even load. BIG WASTE OF MONEY!

Which ship?

I'm not surprised to hear that.  The performance of the internet greatly depends on the ship.  If you were on Anthem or Harmony or Oasis, it would have all worked wonderfully.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2018 at 8:23 AM, Matt said:

Which ship?

I'm not surprised to hear that.  The performance of the internet greatly depends on the ship.  If you were on Anthem or Harmony or Oasis, it would have all worked wonderfully.

New to this, trying to figure out. I will be on Freedom in Feb. 7 nights,  will only need to call my elderly parents a few times to check on them. Should I bother with VOOM to do WiFi calling, or I can text my kids that will ck on them?

Any suggestions?

5 hours ago, Nay said:

New to this, trying to figure out. I will be on Freedom in Feb. 7 nights,  will only need to call my elderly parents a few times to check on them. Should I bother with VOOM to do WiFi calling, or I can text my kids that will ck on them?

Any suggestions?

Depends on your cellular provider.  Many have affordable international add on plans so you can use your phone while off the ship in a foreign country.  Some have decent prices for texting over the ship's cellular provider Cellular@Sea.  Some offer free or low cost per text message rates.  If you use it a lot it will add up but if you are not a text addict by nature and just text a couple times a day it can be low cost.  Make sure you disable data roaming because the data charges for Cellular@Sea are pretty hefty.  At any rate, check with your cell phone company before sailing.

1 hour ago, L454S said:

The basic Surf package will handle wifi calling and texting. We make several calls home every trip.

Can confirm this. Sailing in the South Pacific, my wife only wanted to WhatsApp her parents and sister in Mauritius, and so we only bought the daily Surf package twice, at a daily rate of $18 (Australian, about $25 US). Was perfectly sufficient for this purpose.

I am taking the whole family to Bermuda and have 3 staterooms. I was going to get the package for 4 to share between 7 adults. In cruise planner it asks for the guests and only lets me do the 2 in my room. Will I still get 4 "passwords" when we get to our cabin? Or should I get it for the cabin that has 4 in it (even if 2 of them are 3 and 2:1_grinning:). I know that only one person can connect per password at any given time.

8 hours ago, KJ1231 said:

I am taking the whole family to Bermuda and have 3 staterooms. I was going to get the package for 4 to share between 7 adults. In cruise planner it asks for the guests and only lets me do the 2 in my room. Will I still get 4 "passwords" when we get to our cabin? Or should I get it for the cabin that has 4 in it (even if 2 of them are 3 and 2:1_grinning:). I know that only one person can connect per password at any given time.

You make your own passwords when you sign up for the first time. 

8 hours ago, KJ1231 said:

11 minutes ago, L454S said:

You make your own passwords when you sign up for the first time. 

You make your own password when sign up onboard.   If you buy it in the cruise planner you only select one person.  If you select both people they will both get a 4 device plan.   With a 4 device plan purchased in the cruise planner they will give you an access code.   That code is used for each device.  The same code is used 4 times.   If a 5th device uses it one of the other 4 is disconnected.  

• 3 months later...

I'm confused. We have 4 adults in a 2 bedroom suite. Do we have to each get the Voom + Stream for one device? Or can I just buy Voom + Stream for 4 people (and we can get internet access on our 4 iPhones)? Thanks for any input. We leave next Saturday for our cruise. 

Edited by MLJ
typo

5 hours ago, MLJ said:

I'm confused. We have 4 adults in a 2 bedroom suite. Do we have to each get the Voom + Stream for one device? Or can I just buy Voom + Stream for 4 people (and we can get internet access on our 4 iPhones)? Thanks for any input. We leave next Saturday for our cruise. 

Hi, you could use one code across multiple devices but only one device can be logged on at any one time. With 4 people I would recommend you buy Voom for 2 or more devices. I have only ever purchased Voom for 1 device but I believe if you purchase for multiple devices you get 1 shared code but 4 devices can be logged on simultaneously.