Drink package help

Jamiel

Hi we are new to cruising we have spoken to royal Caribbean about packages they have allowed us to book a deluxe drinks package and a soft drink package as there are 2 of us in the cabin question is could I drink some soft drinks from my wives package and can she have a couple of my alcoholic drinks I have ready about not sharing a single package but I can not find info on having two different packages any info or help would be greetful 

Thank you can I ask firstly if we have been offered a deluxe package and a soft drink package are royal Caribbean genuinely thinking an odd alcoholic drink will not head to the second person and more so how can it be monitored as I would have no limit on the amount I could drink 

Are you seriously insinuating that RCCL is stupid for expecting people to actually follow the rules to the packages they purchase?  Huh, apparently so.

And that is exactly why both people in the room are required to get a Deluxe package, because people constantly cheated the system.  Even now when they allow exceptions people like you are already openly planning how to cheat the system!

Drinks obtained by you are to be consumed by you.  Period!  You agreed to that when you got the package, are you not a man of your word?

Won't be long before they just don't allow exceptions at all because some people just can't abide by the rules.

10 minutes ago, Jamiel said:

Thank you can I ask firstly if we have been offered a deluxe package and a soft drink package are royal Caribbean genuinely thinking an odd alcoholic drink will not head to the second person and more so how can it be monitored as I would have no limit on the amount I could drink 

If you get caught doing this, they can take your entire drink package away without refund.  As mentioned above, this type of behavior is part of the reason why a package is required for all people in a cabin. Please don't contribute to the problem.

If you follow the rules and tip your bartenders, they may offer your partner a free drink every now and then.  I'm not saying this is definitely going to be the case, but I've had it happen to the wife and I plenty of times.

Thanks for the honest and frank opinion but for clarity we were offered different packages by royal Caribbean so your suggestion that both people need deluxe packages is incorrect as this is what was offered, as for openly cheating the system I had never outlined this was the case I was trying to get an understanding of the system, as for your statement of being consumed by only myself can I ask what are the rules for spilling drinks and even leaving half empty glasses which happens regularly on all inclusive options surely this must be outlawed in your opinion as well or is ok for me to be tendered as many drinks as I would like to leave them can I ask want is the difference in this case, just because I have paid for the package does this entitle me to waste every drink I order which in theory could cost royal Caribbean a huge amount from wastage

You are very late to this conversation....this has been going on for years..pretty much since drink packages came out.

There have been thousands of threads and conversations about this across every cruise forum out there I know. And I agree, I prob waste/leave more drinks behind then you want to share with your wife. But Royal doesn't care about that any longer.

The only reason/way now that Royal will allow 2 ppl sharing a cabin NOT to both take the drink package is if its for medical or religious reasons.  If somehow you were able to get around that.....then be thankful you saved hundreds of dollars and don't abuse the system in place like many others have in the past and lead to ruining it for honest people out there.

Look if both of you want to drink, get the package for both. Period. Please abide by the rules. I understand what you are saying about waste but the truth is most people will be doing it to try to abuse the system. Try to enjoy your vacation without having to look over your shoulder worried about getting caught and you will have a good time.

You are free to order a hundred drinks every single day and leave them to waste.  That is entirely within your right as a Deluxe package purchaser.  Of course I don't think wasting drinks should be "outlawed", where do you get that idea?  I fully intend to try a bunch of drinks I probably won't finish on my next cruise.  It's a big benefit of having the package, trying new drinks you wouldn't otherwise have paid for out of fear of disliking them and wasting the money.

However, if share a single drink for your wife then you are in violation of the terms of the drink package.  They can revoke it without refund and you will just be another reason for them to revoke all exceptions in the future.  Honest?  Yes.  Frank?  I try to be.  Opinion?  Afraid not, it's all in writing.

Whether you think your argument makes sense or not is of no concern.  RCCL makes the rules, you simply agree to abide by them when you sail on their ships.  The only way for you to get the drink package rules to not apply to you is to cancel your package.

44 minutes ago, Jamiel said:

can I ask what are the rules for spilling drinks and even leaving half empty glasses

No penalty for not finishing drinks or leaving them half empty.  There's no rules about "wasting" drinks. It's actually a nice benefit of the drink package because you can try new drinks with no issue.

If your wife will drink more than 3 alcoholic drinks a day then you should consider getting a deluxe drink package for her too.  You can keep an eye on your cruise planner for sales.  If not, then you should pay a la carte for her drinks.  If she just wants a glass of wine, you can bring 2 bottles of wine upon embarkation.

Here is the official pdf for the deluxe package.  Please read the fine print at the bottom.  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/data/dining/deluxe-beverage-packages-cruises.pdf

51 minutes ago, Jamiel said:

can I ask what are the rules for spilling drinks and even leaving half empty glasses which happens regularly on all inclusive options surely this must be outlawed in your opinion as well or is ok for me to be tendered as many drinks as I would like to leave them can I ask want is the difference in this case, just because I have paid for the package does this entitle me to waste every drink I order which in theory could cost royal Caribbean a huge amount from wastage

I don't see the need for outlawing that at all.  My Hubby is not a big drinker at all, but we always buy the DPP.  He jokes about that if he doesn't like the drink he will just go up an order a new one.   So, in your theory yes, he has the right to waste every drink he orders.  He is not giving them to anyone else.  

On the ships we have been on I have seen some bartenders flag passengers.  Sometimes it is because the passenger has ordered too many drinks within a specific time period (clue in the using their card for friends and family).  

Also, even on a large ship like Anthem,  they are constantly walking around picking up drinks and taking orders.  There are a lot of servers, so don't think if you are 1/2 the way through your drink and order a new one that they won't pick up that old drink before handing you the new one.  I wouldn't also assume that while the cocktail server or barkeeper won't take note that you only ordered with one 5 mins ago and now going to the other person to order another.

OBTW, I worked in the bar business, trust me even with the amount of waste from people dumping/spilling drinks they are making hand over fist.  A 1/5 bottle of Jack Daniels runs @20 retail, probably 15 wholesale.  I believe they get 16 shots...do the math.  That means at 8.95, for a shot,  they are netting @ $115 a bottle.  The same is true for a glass of wine...seriously, 8 bucks for a glass of Mondavi Chardonnay equates to @$32 per bottle, and I can buy it for under 10 at my local grocery story.  

It is business.  They have shareholders they must report to regarding their bottom dollar line.  It would be like you going to Ruby Tuesday or Olive Garden with their unlimited salad bar.  You order for yourself and not for your mate.  Is it okay to give a bite or two off your plate for tasting purposes?  Sure.  However, that is different than getting a salad plate for you, taking a few bites off of it, and hand it off to them to finish it while you get a whole new plate, the latter is what you are implying, and wanting posters to agree with you that it is a no harm, no foul.

~ Don't mean to offend you, just saying, maybe some of us are now paying a higher DPP bc RCCL has to take into account that some passengers will do just what your are asking if it is okay.  OBTW, I get cruises are expensive, especially when you start adding in the excursions and beverage packages. 

@Jamiel , at the end of the day, this is all about character and integrity.  If you want to give alcoholic drinks to your wife from your package even if it is not allowed, that's up to you.  If you want to order drinks and deliberately waste them just to get back at RCCL for their "unfair" policies, that's up to you.  But what would that say ABOUT YOU?

4 hours ago, Jamiel said:

can I ask what are the rules for spilling drinks and even leaving half empty glasses which happens regularly on all inclusive options surely this must be outlawed in your opinion as well or is ok for me to be tendered as many drinks as I would like to leave them can I ask want is the difference in this case, just because I have paid for the package does this entitle me to waste every drink I order which in theory could cost royal Caribbean a huge amount from wastage

I can't understand why people get this idea that they are entitled to milk "UNLIMITED" privileges to the last drop. Some buffets (on land)  now charge for leftovers because customers blatantly waste food.  Phone carriers throttle "unlimited" data plans because users stream content and binge watch like crazy.  I hope RCCL will not come to the point where they will charge guests for the "waste" that is going on in cruises. 

We are going on Independence next month. We were going to get the drink package but found out that it only covers up to $12. I only drink champagne & the bar menus I see posted only show 2 available by the glass & both are $14 - but it shows drinks made with champagne $11. Last time we cruised they have one that was under the drink cap (think it was $9). 

Can't see paying for the package plus an additional $2 or more per glass when I can have a whole bottle delivered to the room for $35

FROM ROYAL CARIBBEAN WINE CELLAR: DOMAINE STE. MICHELLE, SPARKLING, BRUT, COLUMBIA VALLEY, WASHINGTON, NV   $35.00

Can someone please tell me if they have cruised this year & ordered champagne recently for under the $12 covered?

54 minutes ago, ssdew said:

We are going on Independence next month. We were going to get the drink package but found out that it only covers up to $12. I only drink champagne & the bar menus I see posted only show 2 available by the glass & both are $14 - but it shows drinks made with champagne $11. Last time we cruised they have one that was under the drink cap (think it was $9). 

Can't see paying for the package plus an additional $2 or more per glass when I can have a whole bottle delivered to the room for $35

FROM ROYAL CARIBBEAN WINE CELLAR: DOMAINE STE. MICHELLE, SPARKLING, BRUT, COLUMBIA VALLEY, WASHINGTON, NV   $35.00

Can someone please tell me if they have cruised this year & ordered champagne recently for under the $12 covered?

The Deluxe Beverage package covers drinks up to $12 on Independence of the Seas.

Room service drinks are not included with the drink package, regardless of price.

7 minutes ago, Brobbins246 said:

Are the other drink packages subject to the rule of getting it for all adults in the cabin?  For instance, I plan on getting the soda package for my husband, but no package for me because I'm good with the complementary drinks.  Will I have to get the soda package as well?

No. It's only the deluxe that has that rule at the moment.

The problem with the theory that "my spouse only drinks 2 or 3 drinks so it's okay to cheat" is that it breaks the pricing model that the deluxe package is based on.   The model acknowledges that some people may not finish a drink.  Most do finish their drinks but it's impossible to police or regulate someone not finishing a drink.

Two or three drinks per day for a spouse amounts to $20 to $40 dollars which almost justifies the cost of the deluxe drink package.  That much loss to theft results in having to increase the price of the deluxe drink package for everyone who doesn't steal and cheat.  Why should everyone else pay more so you can be a thief?  That is no different from shop lifting.  The loss from shop lifting gets passed onto honest people who face higher prices because of thieves who steal.  

That just isn't right.

• 4 months later...

My wife is very limited to the amount she can drink due to her medication , I explained to the phone agent that her medication  limits her alcohol intake to maybe one drink per day. I advised I would rather buy a deluxe alcohol package for me, and non alcohol refreshment package for my wife. I said if my wife felt she could tolerate a drink or two she would pay cash. The phone agent advised that for medical reasons this would be fine. But, I am reading that if you receive an exemption than you cannot purchase alcohol st all. Has anyone found this to be the case?

Im concerned there was a disconnect between the agent and I. 

Please note, I have no intention of sharing my DDO.