Refreshment Package

SteveWo

Sorry - I realise that these sort of questions probably get asked all the time!

I'm going on my first cruise, this Friday (on Navigator) - just my 9 year old daughter and I.

If I get the refreshment package for just me - is there anything to stop her using the refillable souvenir soda cup - for example, at the same time as I order a coffee or orange juice.

Or even if I get the deluxe beverage package - could I do the same thing?

She doesn't drink much (nowhere near as much as she should) and I don't really want to get a package for her.

I remember what a teacher of mine said while teaching us the usage of "can" and "may" - "You CAN but you MAY not".

What you plan to do is not allowed with any of the beverage packages.  It has some kind of ripple effect. Actions like this causes RCCL to come up with STRICTER policies for the packages. As an example, they now require ALL (adult) guests in a stateroom to get the Ultimate Package regardless of their drinking habits. I'm sure the main cause of this change in policy goes back to guests in the past using their companion's beverage privileges.  

There are a lot COMPLIMENTARY beverage options that come with your cruise fare.   I hope your daughter will find something from there to her liking.

My two cents.

It is technically sharing a package, so it is against the rules. On our last two cruises with deluxe packages, the soda cups came home both times still in their wrappers.  We paid for something we would not use.  Would've been nice to give them to someone who would use them...since we did pay for it.  But alas, we followed the rules. 

I admit it's tough to NOT share, especially with when it comes to kids.  But from one parent to another, you mentioned that she doesn't drink as much as she should.  The free choices are definitely better options than the soda options, when trying to keep your child hydrated.  While lemonade & juices contain sugar just like soda, the health benefits are better with the free choices.  May make playing by the rules a little easier. 

Ah thanks - I wasn't really aware of any complimentary beverages/choices. I guess that they don't want to advertise these?! This leads me on to two questions:-

1) What type of drinks are offered complimentary? I drink a lot of water most days and about 4 teas and/or coffees.

2) Is the soda package, literally just fizzy/soda drinks i.e. Coke, Fanta etc? As Kathy mentioned - there's no way I'd want my daughter drinking that stuff all day long.

I'm not planning on drinking a lot of alcohol, having a 9 year old to look after and keep entertained. So I am happy to probably just 'pay as I go' for the maximum of 2 or 3 beers a day that I will have.

1 hour ago, SteveWo said:

2) Is the soda package, literally just fizzy/soda drinks i.e. Coke, Fanta etc? As Kathy mentioned - there's no way I'd want my daughter drinking that stuff all day long.

Correct. The soda package only includes soda.

I haven't been on Navigator, but if it has the freestyle machine, than it is more than just fizzy drinks.  You can get Powerade, Minute Maid, and if I recall correctly flavored Dasani water.  You need the refreshment cup because it has an RIFD chip that allows you to use the machine.  She also can get lots of Shirley Temples for dinner!  

11 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

I haven't been on Navigator, but if it has the freestyle machine, than it is more than just fizzy drinks.  You can get Powerade, Minute Maid, and if I recall correctly flavored Dasani water.  You need the refreshment cup because it has an RIFD chip that allows you to use the machine.  She also can get lots of Shirley Temples for dinner!  

Forgive my ignorance - what is a Shirley Temple?!!!

4 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

It is 7 up/Sprite with a splash of grenadine and a cherry.  It makes them feel special because they are ordering a specialty drink.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

...but no alcohol

So... if they added alcohol to a Shirley Temple ... will that make it a Drunk Shirley Temple  (no drinking in temples)... ha ha

35 minutes ago, TheaFromCDA said:

Is it the same rules for the soda package as the deluxe package that both people in the room have to have it? Both of us had the soda package last year but I stuck with water and lemonades. BF wants pop, while I’m perfectly happy with the complimentary options. 

The Soda Drink Package and Refreshment Drink Package does not require the other passengers in the same cabin to purchase a beverage package.  

We are going on the Navigator in December and hubby and I have the drink package.  We are not buying the soda package for the kids because Navigator does not have freestyle machines and without them the kids could only get soda not flavored waters.  I don't want them drinking that much soda so if they want a soda I will pay as they go for their drinks.  They will mostly drink water, milk and hot chocolate.  One will probably drink Sprite for lunch and dinner and the other will have milk and hot chocolate at meals so not work a package for them.  I plan on taking a 12 pack of soda on for them.  We are Pepsi drinkers anyway.

On 10/16/2018 at 4:58 PM, RatedPG said:

So... if they added alcohol to a Shirley Temple ... will that make it a Drunk Shirley Temple  (no drinking in temples)... ha ha

According to Wikipedia

"Adding one and a half US fluid ounces (44 ml) of vodka or rum produces a "Dirty Shirley" .[9]