Solo Cruiser Question

PG Cruiser

I am mostly a solo cruiser and I enjoy it.  But I have a problem when it comes to shore excursions and activities.  I don't know where or with whom I can leave my stuff for water activities. I think that goes for ziplining and other similar activities too. I haven't seen a lot of lockers available.  I usually have a sack pack with me with my smartphone, portable charger, wallet, and other essential stuff in it. Wouldn't it be super weird if I took one of those waterproof bags with me while swimming, snorkeling, and playing with the dolphins and stingrays?  LOL

Any suggestions/ideas?  (Please don't tell me to have a plus-one... ha ha)

Same dilemma as non-solo cruisers who want to swim or float together.  On Labadee and Cococay lockers are available.  At many activities where you can't bring it such as Dunn River Falls lockers are available.   

In many cases it's a judgement call.  I snorkeled St John's and left my stuff in a waterproof backpack on the beach.  Ship card stays with me.  I've also snorkeled with my stuff, leaving my good camera in the safe on board the ship.  

Here's another solo cruiser question:

Has anybody seen spray on sunscreen for sale on board? How about bug spray?

Since I'm by myself, I need the spray on type instead of the lotion type.  I don't think newfound cruise friends will be willing to apply sunscreen on my back. LOL

I'm flying in so I can't take aerosols with me.

EDIT:

Looks like I can have them in my checked luggage

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/sunscreen-sprays

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/bug-repellent

• 2 years later...

Not exactly what you asked for but this was a big win on our Caribbean land vacation last month. When we went to public beaches we clipped to our chair, not exactly super secure if you have serious safety concerns but ours were minor and this worked perfect. We carried it for the entire week and nothing inside got wet or Sandy.

Screenshot_20210808-074853_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I cruise solo virtually every time. I always say cruising solo never means cruising alone. I’m always meeting new friends on board and usually there’s a few I see who cruise as often as I do. I try not to bring anything of value off the ship except a little cash and a credit card along with my ID and room key card. Most port security wants to see both a key card and an ID to get back on the pier. These I keep in a small waterproof container on a secure lanyard around my neck. I also have a slightly larger container that can also hold my cell phone if I want to take photos. Lots of choices on Amazon. I heard of someone who had the vault pack that securely locked onto the lounge chair…but someone stole the chair. I also heard of items being stolen even when someone was ‘minding them’. It’s important to always be aware…even when vacationing…no place is perfect. I find it’s easy to have a great experience while at the same time being reasonably cautious. Make friends and have a fantastic cruise!

Sunscreen spray is usually available on board in the shop. But I’ll use this opportunity to address a sunscreen spray issue I have…people who use the spray without a care as to who is around them! Either on a beach or an excursion or on the pool deck…please be considerate before you unleash your cloud into the breeze! Move a few steps so your spray doesn’t fly into my face. Thank you!?

5 hours ago, BrianB said:

I cruise solo virtually every time. I always say cruising solo never means cruising alone. I’m always meeting new friends on board and usually there’s a few I see who cruise as often as I do. I try not to bring anything of value off the ship except a little cash and a credit card along with my ID and room key card. Most port security wants to see both a key card and an ID to get back on the pier. These I keep in a small waterproof container on a secure lanyard around my neck. I also have a slightly larger container that can also hold my cell phone if I want to take photos. Lots of choices on Amazon. I heard of someone who had the vault pack that securely locked onto the lounge chair…but someone stole the chair. I also heard of items being stolen even when someone was ‘minding them’. It’s important to always be aware…even when vacationing…no place is perfect. I find it’s easy to have a great experience while at the same time being reasonably cautious. Make friends and have a fantastic cruise!

I just want to add a layer of protection to my “valuables”, mainly my phone and driver’s license.  I know it’s relatively safe especially on the private islands.  I “lost” my phone on Labadee but it turned up at the Lost & Found.

21 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I just want to add a layer of protection to my “valuables”, mainly my phone and driver’s license.  I know it’s relatively safe especially on the private islands.  I “lost” my phone on Labadee but it turned up at the Lost & Found.

I have used a Loksak waterproof bag on solo beach vacations when I don't want my money/phone abandoned on the beach for the inevitable 30 minutes or more that I stay in the ocean. I bring my phone, hotel key and credit cards/cash into the ocean with me and clip them around my waist or to the float I am using with a fanny pack type bag like this one. My other items stay on the beach but the most important items come with me. 

Can attest that the Loksak bags work great, no water has even broken the seal and I swim for loong periods of time. Also, I have used the same set for the last 10 years of vacations so they are durable as well, aside from the plastic getting cloudy over time. 

5 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

I don’t think I’ll be doing that.  I’ll try a vault bag with a tether next time I visit PDCC.  Let’s see how it goes.

If I'm not mistaken, PDCC does have complimentary lockers you could use.  While not as convenient as locking your stuff to the chair, it is a solution to not worrying about cash or a phone in the water.