Brilliance of the Seas - Thanksgiving Day cruise

Janina

I am brand new to this blog, today is my 1st day and i can't stop reading everything and watching videos. Zero housework done today. My question is this: My husband, myself and our two kids are departing Tampa on Thanksgiving Day for a 4 night cruise to Cozumel. This is our very first cruise with Royal Caribbean. What can we expect as far as the Thanksgiving Dinner? I imagine it is going to have all the trimmings. My husband and son are wondering about the ability to watch football on the ship. Do they show it on the big screen by the pool. My daughters major concern is if she is going to get to see Christmas decorations up through out the ship?

i look forward to being a part of this blog....

Thank you

Janina Mystic Ct. 

Welcome to the message boards!

The ship will have a turkey based entree on the menu for Thanksgiving but the ship is not exclusively 'one-big-Thanksgiving-dinner-at-Grandma's-house' on Thanksgiving day.   The menu will have many other items as well like it does every night.  

Football is typically available in the pub and on the big screen by the pool. 

Christmas decorations start going up around this time but it varies by ship.  Some ships don't start putting them up until after US Thanksgiving.  This can vary by ship and year-to-year.  Some ships doing early December.  Last year on Anthem the tree went up on 11/30 and each day after more and more decorations went up.  I'd be careful setting the expectations that the ship will be fully decorated before the start of your Thanksgiving cruise but hopefully Brilliance will start early than Anthem did.

Holiday sailings are very special and more festive than other typical sailings but don't expect it to be over the top festive.  The main important thing is quality time with family, not having to cook Thanksgiving dinner and seeing everyone in a great mood on board.  It's special in its own way, but not a Hollywood movie rendition of an American Thanksgiving. 

Welcome to the message boards @Janina! I am right there with you in that I would rather read here than do housework. I remembered but had to do some digging... @Matt actually sailed this sailing a few years back.  Here is the link to his live blog.  https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/11/24/brilliance-of-the-seas-live-blog-preamble

Happy reading.  And once he comes back from his weekend science experiment I am sure he can answer your more specific questions.

As for the decor, they had a Thanksgiving spread setup on the piano in the atrium a few days before Thanksgiving.

IMG_5832.thumb.JPG.3a5d438010d2f949d5fc47c89d14f9e3.JPG

The day after Thanksgiving (commonly called Black Friday in the US), they had already setup the Christmas tree and other holiday decor.

229428811_IMG_60992.thumb.jpg.73ee95dda31e0c74b9129904c8aefa53.jpg

I remember taking pictures of the staff taking down the Thanksgiving decor.

306649352_IMG_61022.thumb.jpg.8ba18ce028b38014aaaecdf84cc7d7cd.jpg